Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: Hot Racing upgrades ???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2010, 11:57 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Hot Racing upgrades ???

Has anyone bought any HR parts.

Do the motor plates have tighter bearing tolerances than stock?

I'm very curious to know how the gears are.

And how is the fit with the transmission cover and any other parts such as knuckles etc.

I ask because I have heard of issued in the past but I want to toughen up the xr asap. I'm looking for infomed reviews of XR parts not a bash fest. Thanx.
Frank Rizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2010, 12:19 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

I am running the gears. I broke a transfer gear when two stock sized bearings failed. Since upgrading the bearings to 9mm and replacing the gear, they have been rock solid. They make a clicking noise that sounds like a chewed bearing with stock and 9mm bearings, it concerned me at first, but I have grown to accept they are just noisy gears after much abuse.

I am using mobile1 synthetic grease as gear lubrication.
DickyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 12:23 PM   #3
RCC Addict

I haven't tried them but have only heard good things about the HR stuff for the XR. That being said...just do the 9mm mod on the axial plates and be done. I think the 8mm even in a good fitting trans plate will blow too early given how low the load bearing levels are compaired to seen loads.
clarkrw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 12:27 PM   #4
Keep Crawling in Crawling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Rizzo View Post
Has anyone bought any HR parts.

Do the motor plates have tighter bearing tolerances than stock?

I'm very curious to know how the gears are.

And how is the fit with the transmission cover and any other parts such as knuckles etc.

I ask because I have heard of issued in the past but I want to toughen up the xr asap. I'm looking for infomed reviews of XR parts not a bash fest. Thanx.
I have seen one gear case from HR on someone elses rig. He was using VP bushings and the gear case had a ton of heat in it. It seemed like the friction on the bushings transferred to the gear case. But it also seemed like the milled out areas for the 5 x 8 bushings were extremely tight causing the bushings not to seat well without tapping them in. The case looked nice but I would not run that case if there was that much heat transfer. He switched back to the stock case and the heat build up was gone.
Cruzin Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 12:28 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I broke a transfer gear as well while running the stock bearings. I just installed an HR gear this morning and ran it for a half hour or so with 10mm bearings in the motor plate and everything was working really good. No abnormal noises from mine, but I'm not running the entire set...yet. I was hoping someone would come up with 300 gears or an equivalent.
ittybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 12:51 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ittybitty View Post
I broke a transfer gear as well while running the stock bearings. I just installed an HR gear this morning and ran it for a half hour or so with 10mm bearings in the motor plate and everything was working really good. No abnormal noises from mine, but I'm not running the entire set...yet. I was hoping someone would come up with 300 gears or an equivalent.

VP is working on their version of the gears and I'm sure they'll be as tough as super 300
Rig Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 01:01 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Either wait for a few more days till VP release or even AXIAL when they release some of their option parts. idk though, I keep hearing "be out soon" for the past 3+months so who knows the release. tbh I don't use the HR anymore. just my personal pref but I just get more damage than benifit with my exp. just my honest opinion though. gl.
ADDICT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 01:25 PM   #8
RCC Addict

I've never had any problems with there parts
adamargue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 01:52 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

When replacing gears...Just replacing one is like just replacing one brake pad on your car. It will get you buy, but isn't a good idea. Or put new Rotors on your car but not changing your Pads.

When installing the HR Gears. Either do the 9mm upgrade or Bushings from VP.

1. They way I look at it. Just replacing one Gear with a HR. If an old gear breaks your just going to damage your New gear when it chews up broken stock one.

2. If you just upgrade the gears and not the Bearings. You put you new gears at risk again. A Stock Bearing Fails and your HR will jam up under 3 Cell Lipo Power.

I highly suggest when doing a Gear upgrade. Do them all and the bearings at the same time. If not it's just a Bandaid....

I'm not stating this b/c I think HR's Gears are weak and won't hold up, but the Transfer gear is small. I think of the gears as an invest and they should be protected.

Last edited by run2jeepn; 11-10-2010 at 01:54 PM.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 02:04 PM   #10

I just got done installing the HR motor plate and transmission cover along with the Boca Bearings. Kept the stock Axial gears (third set). The fit of the bearings in the case was excellent. Haven't really bashed the rig yet so we shall see.
Barry G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 02:10 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by run2jeepn View Post
I'm not stating this b/c I think HR's Gears are weak and won't hold up, but the Transfer gear is small. I think of the gears as an invest and they should be protected.
They are not weak! Before I got my 9mm swap done I chewed up many 8mm bearings, the HR gears turned the tiny balls to little metal shavings, repeatedly, with no gear damage.

The time I broke the transfer gear I was being stupid with the throttle slamming forward\reverse on textured concrete for some stress testing and killed two bearings causing the gears to slam together. Not the gears fault.

Since upgrading to 9mm as I posted above things have been rock solid, even through my stress tests

Thanks for having these on your site In the end they may not be the best option out there, but for now they are the only machined gear option, and well worth it in my opinion.

I now trust the rig to power through a bind, smack the throttle hard from a stop to jump gaps, and slam reverse to save before the rig falls backwards off of steep climbs I did not find the right line for.

Last edited by DickyT; 11-10-2010 at 02:12 PM.
Old 11-10-2010, 02:58 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Im running full HR gears with 9mm bearings in the motor plates and 5x8 bushings in the cases.
No problems so far
ruffryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 03:37 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickyT View Post
They are not weak! Before I got my 9mm swap done I chewed up many 8mm bearings, the HR gears turned the tiny balls to little metal shavings, repeatedly, with no gear damage.

The time I broke the transfer gear I was being stupid with the throttle slamming forward\reverse on textured concrete for some stress testing and killed two bearings causing the gears to slam together. Not the gears fault.

Since upgrading to 9mm as I posted above things have been rock solid, even through my stress tests

Thanks for having these on your site In the end they may not be the best option out there, but for now they are the only machined gear option, and well worth it in my opinion.

I now trust the rig to power through a bind, smack the throttle hard from a stop to jump gaps, and slam reverse to save before the rig falls backwards off of steep climbs I did not find the right line for.

That wasn't really aimed at anyone..

I'm waiting on VP to release there Gear Case upgrade before I finish my billed. I know of one other Company that has a Gear Case upgrade with 10mm Bearings....
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 05:25 PM   #14
RCC Addict

I am running full HR gears and 8mm AVID bearings in both of my XR cases. So far I have had no problems. I have three comps and lots of carpet abuse and practice on them so far.
I pulled the cases apart to see how much wear they had last week before my comp, and they look as good as new.
Just as soon as the complete 9mm upgrade kits are available, I will have those installed.

If you need a complete set of HR gears, PM me. I have a full extra set, spools and all. I thought I was going to need them for the future, but at this point I know I won't.
bigstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 07:15 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

I'm off to buy a 9mm reamer in the morning. I've got the avid flanged bearings, but I'll have to risk stock in the case for now unless I can find a traxxas replacement in town/ Comping sunday. I just hate leaving everything to chance while I wait for VP to release stuff, and even then I don't know that I could afford all of their stuff.
Frank Rizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 07:48 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by run2jeepn View Post

That wasn't really aimed at anyone..

I'm waiting on VP to release there Gear Case upgrade before I finish my billed. I know of one other Company that has a Gear Case upgrade with 10mm Bearings....
Wasn't taken personal, just wanted to share my experience with them regarding to strength. I need to know when next season starts I am stress testing the hell out of my rig now. They are strong! I have typically steered away from HR, but these gears work!

and who? when? I will still probably go VP, I have so much other vp on the rig it would be a shame to break character.