Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: MYST's - BWD XR Wedge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2010, 01:08 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default MYST's - BWD XR Wedge

First I’d like to thank my sponsors; however, being as I don’t have any that would be pointless.

This is more of a built thread than a build thread, but I didn’t think anyone would be interested in another picture of a XR10 box and a broken gear, so I waited till I had something more to post.

Current Specs:
XR10
Futaba 3PK
2 FXR Pro ESC’s (Had a Mamba and punk dig but it was just too big for my taste)
Airtronics 94780 Steering Servo (423 oz torque)
Castle BEC
Integy V11 45 turn motors
1300 2S or 3S LiPo (Last item I need to upgrade)
Front Wheels Vanquish DH Pro Comp 1.2” wide (335 Hubs) (11” wide)
Vanquish V4 SLW’s 1” wide. (470 hubs) (10 ½” wide)
Hot Bodies Rovers White compound
Nova 2 Stage Foams
Billet Works XR Wedge Chassis and lower links
30 Degree Bent upper links
Vanquish Chubs, Knuckles and Lockouts.
HR Machined steel Gears
CKRC Servo Clamps
Aluminum shock caps, adjustment rings and spring retainers
Losi Gold Springs.
Total Truck weight 5.80 pounds (2630 grams) without battery
Front wheels and tires are 15.22 ounces (431.5 grams) each
Rear wheels and tires are 6.23 ounces (176.5 grams) each

This is my second XR10, the first I ran totally stock. The first thing I did was turn down a 5/8” brass rod on my lathe and make wheel weights for the stock wheels. I had every intention of running stock wheels so I made the weights 0.750” long which with the vanquish wheels makes them a little short. For the DH’s they should really be 0.780”. Each weight is 29 grams (1 ounce is 28.35grams).

Next up was the chassis, I’ve never liked the look of the bodiless chassis but have been impressed with the high rear clearance that has been the trend lately. I was really impressed with stock XR Setup other than not having that extra rear clearance. When I saw the Billet Works XR Wedge I was intrigued. When I looked a little deeper and realized that Don had kept the good parts of the XR10 and basically just modified the sides of the chassis and links I wanted it.

I know the BWD faithful will likely flame me for this but what the heck. Like everyone I wanted the best of both worlds, high ground clearance and a low center of gravity. That’s the reason I used the 30 degree bent links. The BWD delrin upper links are 3.4 grams per link heavier than the 30 degree links, and I figured if I cared enough to invert the shock to lower the CG a little I didn’t want to hang an extra 13.6 grams of upper links. Also as has been noted in other threads the suspension travel in the rear in particular is very limited by the large upper links. The limited compression doesn’t really matter because the articulation is still just about right but I just feel better with nearly full compression front and rear.

The other issue I had with the chassis is the wedge kit I got had a very small electronics plate. BWD makes a longer plate now. I have a mill so made my own custom plate. In the picture below you can see the stock plate on the left the plate I’m currently running in the middle and the plate made then shortened (more about that later). The stock XR plate and hardware is about 36.5 grams, I managed to mill my plate down to 26.5 grams with it still feeling plenty strong.

The short plate was because I had never tried running without the Caste BEC. I got to thinking with two speed controls each with a 6 volt 3 amp bec circuit that should give me 6 volts at 6 amps, in parallel voltage is the same but the current is additive, which I thought ought to be good, and that would get rid of 7.5 grams of weight in the chassis.

So I tried it; and the term “epic fail” comes to mind. I think the logic is sound, but when my servo binds the speed controls shut down. Bottom line is it gives me plenty of servo power it just wont give me servo power and also drive at the same time. When I went to put the BEC back on I thought about just sticking it on top of the receiver but figured for a couple grams I’d just use a very thin rear portion of the plate to hold the receiver.

This is my electronics layout.

Next up was flipping the shocks. The rears are a no brainer. On the front I put the HR aluminum chock caps in my mill and milled the top off then drilled a hole in the center of the cap for a button head screw and a shock end. I used the medium length and that was enough to barely clear the servo.

I wasn’t going to run the Vanquish parts, because they didn’t work with the stock wheels and I didn’t want to spend the money on the wheels because I liked the stock wheels. Next thing I know, I won the Vanquish DH’s and SLW’s in a drawing. Then when I went on the Vanquish site to get hubs for the wheels I saw they were making the rest of the parts in red and I just had to have them.

I can honestly say this is the best working crawler I've had to date. It's better than my berg by a long shot, though I was never all that happy with my berg.

Last edited by MystRacing; 01-13-2011 at 01:46 PM.
MystRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2010, 01:36 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I just installed my wedge chassis and it is ahuge improvement over the stock chassis. I didn't use the upper links they were heavier and thickerand more bulkier so don't worry you aren't the only one to feel that way. I received the newer electronics plate that has a longer place in the front for the battery. I did but the cut the back part off because I have every thing so tight right in the middle. Your build looks verry good.

Last edited by oneeye; 11-14-2010 at 02:54 PM.
oneeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 01:37 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Thats a killer looking rig. I really like don's chassis. Looking forward to your vid.
irok22s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 05:32 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Love the XR dude, and I love the way you gave props to all you sponsors
Jeepkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 07:19 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Very nice build! No hate here...we just don't make bent links any more. Perhaps it is something that I will start doing soon. I'm also diggin the electronics plate. In this hobby...it's still unique because guys can modify and customize to their hearts desire. Our goal was simply to give everyone an improved platform to work off of.

BW
billet works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 06:28 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for the compliments everyone.

I bought a new computer a month ago so I had to get some video editing software installed blah blah blah, now I'm waiting for YouTube to finish processing it.

Quote:

No hate here...we just don't make bent links any more. Perhaps it is something that I will start doing soon.
That would be awesome, particularly if you could get the lighter stronger hollow tubing instead of it being solid. I really like the way you put stuff together. I ran a SSS for a while and really liked it until the MOA beat it out in my collection.

I didn't think you would mind my comments, you're always very professional about everything. You really hit a home run with this chassis. I've got about 20 hours of driving since I installed the chassis and this truck is amazing.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:00 PM   #7
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Cool build and props on all the cool stuff you made and did different.
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 09:27 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Thanks Nova

Okay I finally got the video posted. It's only about a minute long but shows what this chassis will do. As usual the sidehill doesn't look as steep as it is. Yuo can kind of tell how step it is when I use the rear dig to slide the back end down the rock. Also the first rock is one I tried with every truck I've owned and this is the only one that could get over it.

Here's the video
BWD XR Wedge - XR10
Old 11-15-2010, 09:41 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

It looks like it is working really well. Could you post a pic of your current link set up on the chassis. Thanks
Old 11-15-2010, 09:46 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Yummy red goodness!!

Thanks for sharing,
Reb
Rebelspawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 07:46 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneeye View Post
It looks like it is working really well. Could you post a pic of your current link set up on the chassis. Thanks
My links are in the same location as the picture with the suspension compressed. I haven't messed with them since I put it together. I'm hoping to do some testing on link locations in the next few days. It's been working so well I haven't gotten to that yet.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:37 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

I got a better video posted up, it's a little over 4 minutes. In the first clip I was using the front and rear dig to slide across and down the face of the rock after going through the first gate which is almost impossible to see. The more I drive this thing the more I like it.

Here's the video
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=281143
Old 11-17-2010, 08:53 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Location: siloam springs, home of the Mid West Challenge 2010

Nice build. I have the wedge on mine and love everything about it. What a big change in the rig going to it.
dustin keeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 09:30 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Well I decided to give going bodiless a shot. If there's one place my wedge could really use some improvement it's rollover recovery. I'll try and get out and get some video tomorrow if the snow melts off in the morning.

Old 01-22-2011, 09:34 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

i wasnt a fan of that bodiless , but your take on body panels make it look alot better! great job
marzzz23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 06:14 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

nice .... the BWD bodiless is looking really good!!!
strawb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:52 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

BEST SIDE PANNELS EVER..... So Far
Old 01-23-2011, 11:05 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Man it just keeps getting better and better! Awesome panels and overall build!
billet works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:50 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

That is a good looking rig you have there. I like your setup overall and love the color sceme.
bigflex is offline   Reply With Quote