Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: ESC's used

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2012, 08:11 PM   #1

Default ESC's used

I was wondering what esc was everyone using in there xr10?
bgrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2012, 08:32 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: ESC's used

i have been running dual castle creation sidewinders. and i just switched over to mamba micro pros the sidewinders worked really well. trying a new chassis so im trying new esc's...
ax10tn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:34 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Tekin, castle, Holmes hobbies.... A quick use of the search tab will give you all the details you could ask for.
sacdrums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacdrums View Post
Tekin, castle, Holmes hobbies.... A quick use of the search tab will give you all the details you could ask for.
I was looking at the Novak M2 because of cost but want to see what is mainly used for the xr10.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:44 PM   #5
TSK
Shelf queen

No one uses the M2.

You are better off with a Punk or Heyok dig switch if you are not runnig dual esc.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:48 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I'd stay away from the m2. Heard of a lot of problems, some have no complaints but they dont seem to tip the scales. I run 2 tekin fxr's with a futaba 4pl. Used to run one fxr with a punk dig which worked well. These setups are a little more pricey but you get what you pay for.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSCorpionKing View Post
No one uses the M2.

You are better off with a Punk or Heyok dig switch if you are not runnig dual esc.
Ok have looked at the punk dig switch who carries the Heyok?
Old 07-16-2012, 08:51 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

The M2 will get you rolling and crawlin for less $ in the short term.. And it works just fine! If you really are looking to reduce weight and start getting into comps alot??? Then dual esc's would be the way to go.. However if your just starting out and want to spend a little less $ and learn the rig and how to drive first?? THe M2 would be a good start... Just my 2c's..
gtxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:03 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxr View Post
The M2 will get you rolling and crawlin for less $ in the short term.. And it works just fine! If you really are looking to reduce weight and start getting into comps alot??? Then dual esc's would be the way to go.. However if your just starting out and want to spend a little less $ and learn the rig and how to drive first?? THe M2 would be a good start... Just my 2c's..
But... In the long run you will ditch the m2... It's inevitable. Get a GOOD esc and run a dig switch on a 3 channel radio then upgrade to a dual esc setup when the time comes. You'll save money and be much more satisfied with your rigs performance.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:27 PM   #10

Quote:
But... In the long run you will ditch the m2... It's inevitable. Get a GOOD esc and run a dig switch on a 3 channel radio then upgrade to a dual esc setup when the time comes. You'll save money and be much more satisfied with your rigs performance.
What esc will run two motors I know back in the day the super rooster could run two motors. Does the fx-r run two? I run tekin in my onroad so I know they are good and already have the hotwire.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:38 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Fxr all the way for me. You'll want a dig unit. If you spend a few bucks on a green star, you'll be able to access the classifieds where you can usually find both for good prices. Plus buying a star supports the site and keeps us running.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:45 PM   #12
RCC Addict

The FRX has a 3 cell cut off. The roster doesnt.
SDheavymetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:30 PM   #13
RCC Addict

What radio do you have? That's gonna determine your options. You can get a pair of micro sidewinders cheaper than an M2 if your radio supports it.
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:47 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Dual tekin
XJkid93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:28 PM   #15
Its a HARDKNOCKZ Life...

Quote:
MAYBE this is true but for a cat that just wants to play crawl...the M2 is MORE than enough ESC.

There are SO MANY ppl that have never run the M2 that have very opposed opinions about it. Truth is...it's not a terrible ESC. I ran one for over half a season when I built my XR & my only real complaint was the drag brake. I switched it out for 2 FXR's...that have the same weak drag brake.

I'm a straight comp driver so needed to keep with the competition but if I was just out to crawl...OR if the M2 had a better drag brake & proportional control...I'd still be running it. It just isn't NEARLY as bad as most (again...that haven't even run one) will have you believe. Now don't get me wrong...there are DEFINITELY better setups on the market & if you wanna seriously comp your rig...look into em. But if you already have a 3 channel radio & just wanna crawl a little...nothin wrong with the M2.

J.D.
HARDKNOCKZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:57 PM   #16
RCC Addict

True but you'll always save money in the long run if you build it right the first time. The single ESC with the punk dig seems to be the way to go, until you ready to drop serious cash ans run dual ESC's, which your half way there to start with, in my opinion. But remember its your rig and you should know what you want to get out of it.
Curcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:50 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiana mudcat View Post
What radio do you have? That's gonna determine your options. You can get a pair of micro sidewinders cheaper than an M2 if your radio supports it.
I have a M11
Old 07-17-2012, 07:11 AM   #18
Its a HARDKNOCKZ Life...

A buddy of mine runs an M11X with dual FXRs & a Novak "the dig" unit. He LOVES that radio for racing but hates it for crawling. I don't know much about the radio & it MAY be the way he has it setup but he's constantly havin to pause to look down at his screen or to do this or that to work his dig. He has it setup on a dial tho so that might be the issue.

J.D.
HARDKNOCKZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:47 AM   #19
Rock Stacker

I bought a m2 it was bad from the factory. I sent it back and novak sent another brand new one and it was bad. Junk!!!!
knuckleBuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:00 AM   #20
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARDKNOCKZ View Post
MAYBE this is true but for a cat that just wants to play crawl...the M2 is MORE than enough ESC.

There are SO MANY ppl that have never run the M2 that have very opposed opinions about it. Truth is...it's not a terrible ESC. I ran one for over half a season when I built my XR & my only real complaint was the drag brake. I switched it out for 2 FXR's...that have the same weak drag brake.

I'm a straight comp driver so needed to keep with the competition but if I was just out to crawl...OR if the M2 had a better drag brake & proportional control...I'd still be running it. It just isn't NEARLY as bad as most (again...that haven't even run one) will have you believe. Now don't get me wrong...there are DEFINITELY better setups on the market & if you wanna seriously comp your rig...look into em. But if you already have a 3 channel radio & just wanna crawl a little...nothin wrong with the M2.

J.D.

So much wrong with this post. Fundamentally, you say it has weak drag and no proportional control. The whole point of that collasal piece of shit was for proportional control and dig in one ESC. Dig can be handled with one ESC and a switch so whats the point. Let alone the fact that Novak is quite literally holding on to their drag brake programming from over a decade ago. Throw in the amount of problems straight from the factory, then add in the ridiculous BEC issues and software updates bricking your ESC, all together this makes for the bigger failboat then the Costa Concordia.

Second, if you think the FXR has a weak drag brake you have something wrong in your setup. I run mine at 60% and it will still lift the rear wheels when you let off.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote

ESC's used - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
esc's yfz350 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 11 02-08-2010 12:29 AM
been looking at esc's iceman320 Electronics 10 02-28-2008 10:06 AM
ESC's? Vince General Crawlers 4 08-22-2006 02:11 PM