Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: ESC's used

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2012, 10:14 AM   #21
Its a HARDKNOCKZ Life...

Default Re: ESC's used

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
So much wrong with this post. Fundamentally, you say it has weak drag and no proportional control. The whole point of that collasal piece of shit was for proportional control and dig in one ESC. Dig can be handled with one ESC and a switch so whats the point. Let alone the fact that Novak is quite literally holding on to their drag brake programming from over a decade ago. Throw in the amount of problems straight from the factory, then add in the ridiculous BEC issues and software updates bricking your ESC, all together this makes for the bigger failboat then the Costa Concordia.

Second, if you think the FXR has a weak drag brake you have something wrong in your setup. I run mine at 60% and it will still lift the rear wheels when you let off.
Like I said...it isn't the BEST setup out there but MORE than fine for the average guy who doesn't comp. Did Novak miss the mark? Absolutely. Is it a "piece of shit"? Nope. You've admitted to never having run one so again...you're spouting an opinion about something that you have NO hands on experience with.

I'll gladly stack my Mamba minis against your FXR's all day. After trying 2 different sets of FXR's & having the back wheels break free on hard burns (not freewheel mind you but enough to miss the mark more than once) I made the switch & quickly learned that Tekin missed the drag brake mark as bad as Novak did. I DO realize that it's not a "crawler specific" ESC like the M2 so it is what it is. But standing your rig on the nose when ya let off the throttle doesn't equal a "decent drag brake"...because if it did, by YOUR definition, the M2 has a "decent drag brake."

I think most here respect your building skills & general knowledge & we all know that you have your opinions Harley. It's pretty obvious that the TONS of minions that swallow every little thing you do or say makes you feel that you're ALWAYS right but sometimes bro...ya just aint. You should really TRY something before condemning it.

J.D.
HARDKNOCKZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2012, 10:27 AM   #22
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARDKNOCKZ View Post
Like I said...it isn't the BEST setup out there but MORE than fine for the average guy who doesn't comp. Did Novak miss the mark? Absolutely. Is it a "piece of shit"? Nope. You've admitted to never having run one so again...you're spouting an opinion about something that you have NO hands on experience with.

I'll gladly stack my Mamba minis against your FXR's all day. After trying 2 different sets of FXR's & having the back wheels break free on hard burns (not freewheel mind you but enough to miss the mark more than once) I made the switch & quickly learned that Tekin missed the drag brake mark as bad as Novak did. I DO realize that it's not a "crawler specific" ESC like the M2 so it is what it is. But standing your rig on the nose when ya let off the throttle doesn't equal a "decent drag brake"...because if it did, by YOUR definition, the M2 has a "decent drag brake."

I think most here respect your building skills & general knowledge & we all know that you have your opinions Harley. It's pretty obvious that the TONS of minions that swallow every little thing you do or say makes you feel that you're ALWAYS right but sometimes bro...ya just aint. You should really TRY something before condemning it.

J.D.
I have never owned one but driven probably close to a dozen rigs with them. Trying to help people with Futabas see if any radio tuning could help them. So by no means do I have no expierence with them.

Tekin vs Castle drag, meh I see almost no difference as far as desired levels. I never use the 213% on castles. I have never needed more then either give. The hold value is not the problem with Novak either, it's the days technology of no hold under low power. Trying controlled descents with Novaks has been an issue with all of their ESC's for years.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:33 AM   #23
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
So much wrong with this post. Fundamentally, you say it has weak drag and no proportional control. The whole point of that collasal piece of shit was for proportional control and dig in one ESC. Dig can be handled with one ESC and a switch so whats the point. Let alone the fact that Novak is quite literally holding on to their drag brake programming from over a decade ago. Throw in the amount of problems straight from the factory, then add in the ridiculous BEC issues and software updates bricking your ESC, all together this makes for the bigger failboat then the Costa Concordia.

Second, if you think the FXR has a weak drag brake you have something wrong in your setup. I run mine at 60% and it will still lift the rear wheels when you let off.
BUY....

It's ORANGE
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:35 AM   #24
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSCorpionKing View Post
BUY....

It's ORANGE
You know how hard it is for me to not want their stuff when it's all orange!?!?

I would much rather a non serious competitor just grab a single Sidewinder or FXR and get a dig switch.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:47 AM   #25
Its a HARDKNOCKZ Life...

Quote:
I have never owned one but driven probably close to a dozen rigs with them. Trying to help people with Futabas see if any radio tuning could help them. So by no means do I have no expierence with them.
Then I guess I stand corrected on your experience with em but owning one & trying to troubleshoot a problem piece are a little different.

Again man...I'm the 1st to admit that the M2 is NOT the best out there. Hell...it's not even CLOSE but it's fine for a casual crawler. Is a single FXR & a dig switch better? Maybe. I dunno because I've never gone that route so I have no opinion. My only point was that the M2 isn't the epic fail that so many seem to think. DEFINITELY had some issues in the beginning but MY experience was just fine for what it was.

Quote:
Tekin vs Castle drag, meh I see almost no difference as far as desired levels. I never use the 213% on castles. I have never needed more then either give. The hold value is not the problem with Novak either, it's the days technology of no hold under low power. Trying controlled descents with Novaks has been an issue with all of their ESC's for years.
Maybe your rock is lacking in the traction dept compared to our SoCal weathered granite & that's why you don't need all that's available from your ESC's drag. When I crawled the Central Coast of Cali...it was smooth river stone & I didn't need much more than 60%.

J.D.
HARDKNOCKZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:48 PM   #26

me i run an m2 dig and maybe since i'm not competing my opinion would'nt cout here but i must say i'm pretty happy with it i found dig realy easy and powerfull such as a wonderfull dragbrake for the use i do with it. it hold on a lot more than my axial ae-2 i had in my ax10 even setted to 200% so i think it's good. if you dont comp i think a novak m2 dig would be a great deal
qcax10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:49 PM   #27
Rock Stacker

Dual Tekin FXR's with a 4PL radio and I absolutely love it, works great in any situation. Definitely glad I went with dual esc route.
showtime90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 12:42 AM   #28

I run the Novak M2 right now because that is what came with the rig.....Sometimes the drag brake works just fine but sometimes it becomes weak....Consistency and dependability is what you want in comping....I'm wanting to get the dual micro sidewinders (smashed)
jbailey2478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 12:45 AM   #29
ers

I use dual CC Mamba Max only because I already owned them bwfore I bought my XR10 kit. Just installed the electronics yesterday but everything seems to work the way I want. Maybe a tad to big but they do the jobb.
ers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:53 AM   #30
Rock Stacker

I know you guys are going to laugh at this, but I've got a pair of Axial AE-2's sitting around so I stuffed them in my XR for now. Decided to go the dual esc route and needed something cheap to get it up and running for my first comp. Did the same thing with the motors, stock tin can 55t Axial ones. Before you say anything, yes, motors and esc's will be upgraded as soon as cash permits, but for now it's up and running. Only real problem would be the rear doesn't always lock up 100%. I figure it's either the cheap motor or the cheap esc.

Point being though, with the dual ESC setup, even with the ghetto gear, I took first in Novice. It's so much easier to do the climbs with the proportional instead of the straight on/off switch on the dig. Yes, there are still some issues with my rig, but now I can go through one part at a time as cash allows and upgrade to the proper stuff one area at a time. I"ve seen the AE-2's go for $20 so even if you don't have them, you can easily find a pair for what the dig switch will cost. So much easier to get up stuff though when you can put some power to the front then slowly start bringing up the rear motor.

Just my noob two cents
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:18 AM   #31
Rock Stacker

I have the M2 and have had it since they first hit shelves. I like it alot and I do alright with it. Im sure Hardknockz will back me up on that. How ever if money wasnt an issue and i could trade my Dx3c for a futaba and dual castles i would do it in a heart beat.
Slow Mo is offline   Reply With Quote

ESC's used - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
esc's yfz350 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 11 02-08-2010 12:29 AM
been looking at esc's iceman320 Electronics 10 02-28-2008 10:06 AM
ESC's? Vince General Crawlers 4 08-22-2006 02:11 PM