Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: ax-10 crazy turned xr-10 crazy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2010, 08:20 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default ax-10 crazy turned xr-10 crazy

Since the xr-10 was released it was something I wanted but didn't think I could afford, so I started to save some $, sold my crawler and Stampede and invested it into a new crawler.

So far I have for electronics:
-Futaba 4pl
-Hitec 7980 servo
-Dual hh brxl's
-40t brood handwound motors
-cc bec
-4s lipo

For upgrades I have:
-Front and rear Vanquish motor plates
-hr gears in the rear with an axial machined final gear for less weight
-rc4wd gear set in the front for more weight
-Vanquish knuckles
-Robitronics servo arm
-Axial aluminum 30* bend upper links
-Traxxas bushing to replace all 5x8 bearings in both transmissions
-hb rovers siped
-black axial springs front and rear

Thanks

Last edited by ax-10 crazy; 06-14-2011 at 06:32 PM.
ax-10 crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-2010, 08:39 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

lookin good so far ,looks like you need to vent those tires though
murderface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 08:46 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by murderface View Post
lookin good so far ,looks like you need to vent those tires though
They're vented plenty but they have the stock foams so far, I'm looking to order some nova foams soon as well.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:58 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Looks good, while your waiting to get more parts it will give you time to read up on some easy mods and get those done. I did the steering mod, narrowed my stock wheels down to 1", made a motor skid, siped my Rovers, and added some longer rod ends to my rear upper links to tuck the motor up for more clearance. while I waited for parts

Last edited by BLKXJ 96; 12-24-2010 at 10:04 PM.
BLKXJ 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 09:06 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKXJ 96 View Post
Looks good, while your waiting to get more parts it will give you time to read up on some easy mods and get those done. I did the steering mod, narrowed my stock wheels down to 1", made a motor skid, siped my Rovers, and added some longer rod ends to my rear upper links to tuck the motor up for more crearance. while I waited for parts
I know about most of the mods, I have been reading up on the xr-10 for the past few months. I plan to keep it stock for the fist bit so I can get a baseline of what it is like and then tell if an upgrade helped or hurt.
Old 12-24-2010, 09:17 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ax-10 crazy View Post
I know about most of the mods, I have been reading up on the xr-10 for the past few months. I plan to keep it stock for the fist bit so I can get a baseline of what it is like and then tell if an upgrade helped or hurt.
I agree, I did the steering mod because I heard of a few guys burning up there servos with the stock steering setup, and it's real easy. I cut the wheels down because I was board
Old 12-24-2010, 09:36 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I agree, I did the steering mod because I heard of a few guys burning up there servos with the stock steering setup, and it's real easy. I cut the wheels down because I was board
My current solution to the steering Problem is going to be running over 600 oz. Of steering power.
Old 12-24-2010, 10:00 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

The steering problem isent the torque at all. The problem is something else. One thing to think about is the stock bearings, we know they suck and that they are going to go out soon. Be careful, you dont want to wait for Axial to send you a set of new gears. I did the 9mil mod, still lunched a bearing. I was lucky, stock gears chewed them up and didn't break. Some ppl arent that lucky. I put a new 9mil in there, but VP plates and cases are on the way with some brOOd 35t R/T motors I hope that the rig holds up for you in stock form, its a great truck stock. I just got sick of being careful with it and as soon as I went crazy a 9mil fails. Oh well, thats my .02. The rig looks good man
Jeepkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 10:15 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

X2 on the stock bearings, I didn't even put mine in they are still in the bag...I hope thy work on my Slash hubs. I have been running VP bushings from the start and had no problems yet. I've wound the thing up pretty good a few times on my home indoor course, I try to be smart-ish and not over do it.

I run a 7950 with the steering mod for about twenty to thirty minutes stright at stock voltage and the servo isn't even warm.
Old 12-24-2010, 10:23 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
X2 on the stock bearings, I didn't even put mine in they are still in the bag...I hope thy work on my Slash hubs. I have been running VP bushings from the start and had no problems yet. I've wound the thing up pretty good a few times on my home indoor course, I try to be smart-ish and not over do it.

I run a 7950 with the steering mod for about twenty to thirty minutes stright at stock voltage and the servo isn't even warm.
That is the thing about the high voltage servos ppl run them at 7.4volts and boom. Overheating, and breakage. My servo is a futaba S9157 and it never gets warm to the touch even after 3 packs ran through it. My stock bearings are in the trash, as soon as I opened the box. Now I've got the VP itch so I had to have the plates and cases. Love the XR, just got to have it withstand the abuse that I dish out. I fine myself trying crazier and crazier lines each time I run the thing.
Jeepkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 11:07 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepkid View Post
That is the thing about the high voltage servos ppl run them at 7.4volts and boom. Overheating, and breakage. My servo is a futaba S9157 and it never gets warm to the touch even after 3 packs ran through it. My stock bearings are in the trash, as soon as I opened the box. Now I've got the VP itch so I had to have the plates and cases. Love the XR, just got to have it withstand the abuse that I dish out. I fine myself trying crazier and crazier lines each time I run the thing.
I am gointo see how long it lasts stock and see if anything breaks. Then it will get vp upgrades for sure
Old 12-24-2010, 11:11 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

What are some good replacement screws for the stock beadlocks? Preferably sone with a bigger hex size. Probably 3 out of 6 screws per beadlock ate now partially stripped, and my good hex wrenches are still backordered.
Old 12-25-2010, 12:24 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
What are some good replacement screws for the stock beadlocks? Preferably sone with a bigger hex size. Probably 3 out of 6 screws per beadlock ate now partially stripped, and my good hex wrenches are still backordered.
I ordered a pack of 100 M3x25mm countersunk stainless allen head screws from McMaster for like 12 bucks shipped. I was planning to drill out the holes in the wheels and countersink the holes in the beadlock rings more to accommodate the bigger head on the screw but ended up ordering VP wheels instead Only issue I saw with the M3 screws was more threads means you'll be turning them a lot more with the allen wrench. I agree though, the stock screws suck ass!
generalee7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 02:34 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalee7 View Post
I ordered a pack of 100 M3x25mm countersunk stainless allen head screws from McMaster for like 12 bucks shipped. I was planning to drill out the holes in the wheels and countersink the holes in the beadlock rings more to accommodate the bigger head on the screw but ended up ordering VP wheels instead Only issue I saw with the M3 screws was more threads means you'll be turning them a lot more with the allen wrench. I agree though, the stock screws suck ass!
I'm not sure that you could counter sink button head screws enough to get them flush. Does anyone have a link to some cheap counters sink 3x25 screws.

Thanks
Old 12-25-2010, 03:13 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

try these http://www.fastenal.com/web/products...l.ex?sku=40919

Last edited by murderface; 12-25-2010 at 03:24 PM.
murderface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 03:21 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I'm not sure that you could counter sink button head screws enough to get them flush. Does anyone have a link to some cheap counters sink 3x25 screws.

Thanks
I got mine at my local hardware store I think there 40-4 course thread stainless, philips head...if you carry enough wheel speed no one will even see them
I got 1 inch because my stock wheels are narrowed, 1.25 if you are running full width wheels. I think I paid about $3 bucks for 24 of them.
Old 12-25-2010, 03:28 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by murderface View Post
Thanks
Old 12-25-2010, 03:29 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I got mine at my local hardware store I think there 40-4 course thread stainless, philips head...if you carry enough wheel speed no one will even see them
I got 1 inch because my stock wheels are narrowed, 1.25 if you are running full width wheels. I think I paid about $3 bucks for 24 of them.
I might just look around then, Thanks
Old 12-25-2010, 04:34 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:

Thanks
I bought countersunk screws, not button heads. You use an allen key to tighten them still, just like the stock stuff. Type this part number into McMaster- 92125A138 . They probably don't need to be that long though, I just ordered 25mm screws since the cheap stock ones are that length.
generalee7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 06:44 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalee7 View Post
I bought countersunk screws, not button heads. You use an allen key to tighten them still, just like the stock stuff. Type this part number into McMaster- 92125A138 . They probably don't need to be that long though, I just ordered 25mm screws since the cheap stock ones are that length.
Thanks, maybe tomorrow I will try to look around locally