Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: Axle Building Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2011, 10:24 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Axle Building Advice

Alright, I am ready to assemble my rig and while I have read most of the builds posted here I still can’t make up my mind on what to do to make sure the gears last. I would like to get it right without spending a fortune on it.

So can I get by with just replacing the bearings with high quality ceramic bearings?

Or do I need to upgrade to larger bearings?

If I go with larger bearings using VP’s products, can I get by with just the Motor Plates (a lot of people look like the have just run the larger bearings on the motor plates) or do I need the Transmission Cases too?

If the bearings are upgrade will the stock gears last? Or do I need to look at upgrading them as well?

Sorry for all the question and thanks in advance for your advice.
jlsandkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2011, 10:41 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default axles

Do the 9mm bearring mod and you should be good.or just buy the vp motor plates they are cheap and come with the bearrings you need.another good mod is to replace the rear housing with a front housing this gets rid of the longer mainshaft and also gives more axle clearance.you will need a front case 1 front axle main shaft and 1 front case upper link mount.then take your rear axle shafts and grind the flat spots on the tranny side shaft up farther to let it set in the final gear deaper after that put on rear lockouts and your done.
twisted bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 12:13 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Or for relatively cheap you could get the bushings. I've not heard of any of those failing.
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 01:27 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

All I did was switch to the Vanquish Bushings. No new motor plate, no aluminum upgrades, just bushings. And I've been abusing my axles for 4 months without issue.
SVEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 01:29 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVEN View Post
All I did was switch to the Vanquish Bushings. No new motor plate, no aluminum upgrades, just bushings. And I've been abusing my axles for 4 months without issue.
I was going to get bushings but only motor plates were in stock when I went to purchase, so I got motor plates.
articzap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 01:46 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

i can tell you from my own experience, i burned 2 stock gears replaced them with the HR set. i also got the ACER ceramic bearing. no problems with bearings at all. good luck, hope this helps.

Last edited by stelerzman; 01-01-2011 at 02:13 PM.
stelerzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 10:47 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. For whatever reason I struggle with the idea of using bushings. They are the most economical and I am sure they hold up well but in all my years of messing around in the hobby I have always replace bushings with bearing (I know, different application, it’s just a mindset thing). I have been considering the Acer ceramic bearing but I want to makes sure that is a solid solution as they are a 100 bucks for the set. I must have missed the use of front axle housings on the rear, sound interesting and the VP motor plates with bearing are reasonably priced. If I go with the VP motor plates do I need to still replace the rest of the bearing that don’t come with the motor plates with better quality bearings?
Old 01-01-2011, 10:56 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

just get traxxas bushings for the rest and you should be good, theyre only 5 bucks for 12 youll only need 8
murderface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:44 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Traxxas bushings in the cases and avid 9mm bearings for the motor plates is the way to go. Cheap and effective. My axles will almost free spin now that they are broken in. You don't want a crawler to coast like a race car.

IMO, ceramic bearings in a crawler is incredibly silly. Huge waste of money.
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:10 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

This is encouraging, with all the horror stories I have read with respect to these axles it looks like the “fix” is petty straight forward and regardless of which way I go it won’t be as over the top as getting my bergs dialed in. Please keep the suggestions coming.

BTW parts I already have for my build:
BWD XR-Wedge
Team Brood Limited Edition 45 Turn Doubles
Narrowed stock wheels that will hopefully clear VP knuckles
CrawlerGraphics painted body http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=277118

Now I will have to start messing with my Novak M2 Dig to see if it’s as bad as what I have read.

Old 01-02-2011, 10:17 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by stelerzman View Post
i can tell you from my own experience, i burned 2 stock gears replaced them with the HR set. i also got the ACER ceramic bearing. no problems with bearings at all. good luck, hope this helps.
Same with me also. I've been very mean to my gears with no problems
baddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:53 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Now I am starting to lean toward just doing the VP bushings an being done with it. Has anyone had a bad experience going this route? Any reason for doing something different?
Old 01-04-2011, 08:21 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Default Bushings?

A friend has been using bushings for a while, but they started binding. Terrible sound. Plenty of lube, maybe just got out of round from use. I put HR gears and ceramic hybrid bearings in from the get go. No problems yet. Running the HR case & plate & top mount in the front, stock plastic in rear. I have heard that front tends to wear quicker than the back due to the extra weight.
pinckbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:26 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

One thing to look into is those traxxas bushings. They are cheap at a LHS, then just get the VP motor plates. Boom you dont even have to worry about the stock flexy motor plate.
Jeepkid is offline   Reply With Quote