Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: Possible to build an XR10 without buying the kit??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2011, 10:14 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Possible to build an XR10 without buying the kit??

Im looking at building up an XR10 in the very near future and I plan on building the living hell out of it with upgrades from tranny gears to VP goodies and different wheels and the Carbon Fiber kit from axial bent links and 4mm rodends and whatever else you could think of.

So in esence i will be replacing crap loads of parts, so to eliminate spending money twice would it just be more plausible to buy the axels housings and the misc. that i wouldnt be upgrading to complete the build??

thanks in advance for any input
NVUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2011, 10:32 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Technically, yes, you can build one without buying the kit. Just buy the axels, and then get the various other parts you are after. Especially if you plan on using an aftermarket chassis (which will require custom links).

But there is also a benefit to buying the kit. For one thing, it helps you understand how the thing works. Additionally, unless you plan to drop a lot of dough at once, you'll have to spread out the parts purchases. If you have the kit, you can put electronics in it and run it while you research and purchase related parts. More expensive that way? Yes, but you get it running faster while you plan your build.

Another question I should ask is how experienced you are. If you are new to crawlers, they are a very different breed from buggy's and trucks, and can take a little getting used to. New to crawlers, kit is better way to go.

If you've run several other crawlers, than yeah, you could probably build up from parts.
JustinThyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:33 PM   #3
Rockin' in Reno

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVUS View Post
Im looking at building up an XR10 in the very near future and I plan on building the living hell out of it with upgrades from tranny gears to VP goodies and different wheels and the Carbon Fiber kit from axial bent links and 4mm rodends and whatever else you could think of.

So in esence i will be replacing crap loads of parts, so to eliminate spending money twice would it just be more plausible to buy the axels housings and the misc. that i wouldnt be upgrading to complete the build??

thanks in advance for any input
Yes, you can definitely do that, and it might work out a little cheaper if you really plan to buy all the upgrades that are available. You can even buy the RC Screwz stainless steel screws kit to get better screws as well.
rcjackson0926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:37 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

You havent seen the slowest build thread you 'll ever see.Have you? Here it is the slowest build thread you've ever seen
Its my buddys build. He built this rig on just donating plasma.
And some bartering, but it turned out pretty good. He would have saved maybe 200 bucks if he bought a kit, but oh well.
Jeepkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 12:42 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
Technically, yes, you can build one without buying the kit. Just buy the axels, and then get the various other parts you are after. Especially if you plan on using an aftermarket chassis (which will require custom links).

But there is also a benefit to buying the kit. For one thing, it helps you understand how the thing works. Additionally, unless you plan to drop a lot of dough at once, you'll have to spread out the parts purchases. If you have the kit, you can put electronics in it and run it while you research and purchase related parts. More expensive that way? Yes, but you get it running faster while you plan your build.

Another question I should ask is how experienced you are. If you are new to crawlers, they are a very different breed from buggy's and trucks, and can take a little getting used to. New to crawlers, kit is better way to go.

If you've run several other crawlers, than yeah, you could probably build up from parts.

I bought an ax10 and have been through it a few times then swaped it over to a wreckluse chassis. i understand the mechanics of it all pretty well. And im planning on dropping the $ all at once so the wait time isnt an issue either.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:45 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

If you've been through a chassis upgrade on an AX-10, then there should be no surprises for you in building from parts.

Depending upon how much of your chassis is going to be similar to stock will determine which is most cost effective. It sounds like you are planing on having the stock chassis, just with the graphite upgrades. Next come the links and shocks. If you plan to use what comes stock, getting a kit may still be your best bet.

If you're building an XR-10, except with VP tranny upgrades and graphite chassis, go with a kit.

If you plan on using different links, different shocks, etc, then building from parts would probably be the way to go.

For starters, I'd download the XR-10 manual and use that as a reference to make sure you are accounting for all necessary pieces. For example, that rear servo mount, which would allow 4 wheel steering if you got the parts, is still required, even if you don't add rear steering. It's necessary for axle strength. I believe this was one of the tid bits that was pointed out in the manual.

Good luck with it!
Old 01-14-2011, 12:09 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
If you've been through a chassis upgrade on an AX-10, then there should be no surprises for you in building from parts.

Depending upon how much of your chassis is going to be similar to stock will determine which is most cost effective. It sounds like you are planing on having the stock chassis, just with the graphite upgrades. Next come the links and shocks. If you plan to use what comes stock, getting a kit may still be your best bet.

If you're building an XR-10, except with VP tranny upgrades and graphite chassis, go with a kit.

If you plan on using different links, different shocks, etc, then building from parts would probably be the way to go.

For starters, I'd download the XR-10 manual and use that as a reference to make sure you are accounting for all necessary pieces. For example, that rear servo mount, which would allow 4 wheel steering if you got the parts, is still required, even if you don't add rear steering. It's necessary for axle strength. I believe this was one of the tid bits that was pointed out in the manual.

Good luck with it!

i do intend to use the high clearance machined links from axial and aftermarket shocks.. i havent looked at the length of the stock shocks yet but id like to run some losi shocks.

i downloaded the manual last night just for that reason and so i could list out what im doing aftermarket and what ill need from stock so i can price things out.

thanks for your input brotha
Old 01-14-2011, 12:44 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

if you want to build it from scratch id say from experience its not a great idea. I didnt save much money if any doing it that way and i couldnt drive it till i was done getting all my upgrades i wish i wouldve bought a stock rig and drove it that way to see if what i was doing was an actual improvement. but it is good if you dont have lot of income and you cant save money like me
murderface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:23 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVUS View Post
i do intend to use the high clearance machined links from axial and aftermarket shocks.. i havent looked at the length of the stock shocks yet but id like to run some losi shocks.

i downloaded the manual last night just for that reason and so i could list out what im doing aftermarket and what ill need from stock so i can price things out.

thanks for your input brotha
No problemo.

Shock wise, stock is 4" or 103mm. The most common shocks seem to be Losi's or Axial's. As long as you use standard baseplate and links which are direct replacements, you shouldn't have any issues. I know some people run 3.5" shocks (90mm), but I think they only do that with aftermarket chassis.

But, as was mentioned above, depending upon exactly how much you deviate from stock, you may very well end up spending MORE than if you started with the kit. Actually, you WILL spend more. Everyone knows that buying all the same parts individually is more expensive than the package deal, regardless of what you're building. If you are just replacing some links and adding the typical alum knuckles and c-hubs, along with VP's tranny stuff, it would probably be more cost effective starting with the kit. It's also VERY IMPORTANT to use the exact right screws in the exact right places on the axles!

This also gives you the option of spreading out your cost. Most of the stripped gear threads I've read sounded like the user gunned the throttle with a stuck tire, so there isn't much surprise that something gives. I haven't heard of stripped gears just from natural wear and tear. VP's are still a great upgrade, but under normal use, you could probably go a few months before replacing tranny gears and bushings/bearings.

If'n it were me (and it was me several months back ;)), I'd get the kit, the hi-clearance links of choice (I went HR), alum c-hubs and knuckles and probably the VP motor plate up front (maybe the tranny case too). Then drive it, and replace things as they need replacing/upgrading. Since you aren't planning on a chassis replacement, I think this is the best way to go, and it would likely save you some dinero.

Just my $.02......and it's worth exactly what you paid for it!

IMHO, YMMV, etc, etc......
Old 01-14-2011, 02:16 PM   #10

There's plenty of parts out for the xr10 on ebay now if you want to just pick and chose the parts you want to start out with.
Russellx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 04:34 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

i do intend to switch chassis... well kinda.. ill only need the skidplate but then im going to use axials carbon fiber upgrade kit. im going through the manual i we speak (or type) and going through step by step to see what i will be replacing with after market and what i would need from stock form. making a spreadsheet to keep track of parts and cost and qty. once im done with that i will compare what the price is for the stock parts compared to the kit. i wont include aftermarket parts cause i see it as $$$ spent regardless of the route i go.

and thanks for the tip on the axles screws in the right places.... i have read that all over the place so its made a burn mark in my memory haha

im not really worried about the down time of the rig cause i still have another thats drivable. and i dont wanna tear this one apart a million times like the other one id rather just drive it. the income isnt an issue and the way my mind works wont allow me to upgrade here or there if i have the means to just do it all now.

once i get the pricing figured out tonight i will let ya guys know what the $ turns out to be and how many stock parts i end up using

thanks again for everybody throwin thier $.02 at me... it might help fund the build
Old 01-14-2011, 06:18 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

I am also looking to build a "XR10", if I may so call it , wanted to build it piece by piece. I realize that only justified if it is to improve it in almost all parts..... and it will !!!!

I have not decided the chassis, Beatlejuice V4, Hellstorm-XR or Underground Crawlers chassis.... they are in order of preference, but I don't know. And I also want a team Brood Motors 40T, but they have so many types....

In short, if only to change some parts, it is better to buy the kit, but if it is to change almost everything, it is better to build it piece by piece. It's my 0,02cent...
DiabloCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 06:47 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloCrawler View Post

In short, if only to change some parts, it is better to buy the kit, but if it is to change almost everything, it is better to build it piece by piece. It's my 0,02cent...
I will agree with that 100% with one condition......prior experience wrenching crawlers. They are designed very different from a typical touring car or off-road buggy or truck.

If you have tons of RC building experience w/o crawlers, you can probably make it by pretty well. But speaking as someone who came to crawlers from the stadium truck and touring car world, it's a huge difference. Especially if you're flying by the seat of your pants without a kits manual to guide you.

And keep in mind that while you can just sorta wing it for screw length on mounting a shock, do that on the axle build and you may find yourself ruining parts.

Make sure you read all the notes and upgrade parts listings in the manual. Some of those notes are critical, such as axle screws and using the rear servo mount.

I apologize if I'm speaking with people who have been doing RC for 30 years, and crawlers for 5 years, but I'm just playing a little devils advocate just to make sure anyone with limited experience doesn't go off half-cocked and rush build something strictly from parts and end up ruining expensive VP gears because they used too long a screw.

Good luck with your build! Besides EBay, the classifieds here and maybe Craigslist might have parts listed for sale.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:02 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

I am in the process now and not sure it is a savings but I will get what I want:

Complete BWD xr-wedge set-up 150.00
Axial parts needed 145.00
Alum Hop-ups 220.00
Screw kit 30.00

probally not done yet have to wait for this load of stuff to see what I forgot

But it will be my very custom Xr-10
twistedone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 07:25 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Oh i absolutly would not wing it with out an idea to whats goin on. Thats why i bought the kitfor the first go around. And there is nothing wrong with a lil devils advocate, those comments will help someone down the road who reads this.

Im making a spreadsheet to make sure i dont forget something the first go around... i hate waiting lol
Old 01-15-2011, 06:45 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

I was thinking about doing the same thing. I don't need a kit as the only thing I'd be using from the kit is the axles.

I came up with a list from parts on TCSCrawlers.com website and came up with about 200 bucks worth of parts. That is ONLY stock axial parts that VP does not offer. I would be purchasing the rest of the parts through VP. Total cost of everything after Axial build parts and VP build parts was just over $450.

Purchasing a kit for about $260 and selling off the wheels, shocks, chassis, links, and everything else you don't need will probably get you right around the $200 mark as well.
Its kindof a wash in my opinion. I'd buy the kit, just to make sure you have everything you need and then sell off what you don't need. People are lining up to buy spare parts for these things.
jcboof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:45 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

well... turns out it is a wash... if ya wanna be lazy like me and not go through the effort to sell the unwanted parts from the kit then youre about the same as piecein it together... as far as stock parts. with everything priced out the way i want it i fall just under $2000 for everything. About what i was expecting but...

the more i look at it all i just cant bring myself to dump another $2000 into this hobby. but im have easily convinced myself to reinvest into my wreckluse rig and step er up a notch cause ive learned alot researching the xr10 and can carry over some good ideas.

thanks for everybodies input and time!!!
Old 01-16-2011, 09:58 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

2 grand? How ? Im planning on building axles only and with all vp upgrades and a new 4pk I'm at about 1000.. I already have fxr's, vp wheels and a chassis.. maybe my calculator is busted
GEARSCIENCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:15 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Like said before, you can do it. Just costs 200 more then the kit. I have been selling my stock shit as soon as I upgrade. Sold the chassis to a RS10 owner. Sold the plastic uppers, lowers, and so on. I have recouped about 75bucks of the 250 I spent on the kit. That means I got 175 in Axial shit and you do the math on how much I spent on all the other shit. I dont want to, and my wife dosent want my to. I say build it from scatch, hell. Its a money pit anyways.
Jeepkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:03 AM   #20
Pebble Pounder

I'm pretty much decided to buy the RX10 piece by piece, it is certain that if we buy the kit and then we sell original parts, we will make some money ... but with the assembly I want to do, just the F/R axel covers and shafts, some bearings and some small little pieces (pins, flange pipe, E-clips)....
I will use some things that I have from my Bully, and the rest it must be new.
DiabloCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote