Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: are steering mods necessary to not fry servo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2011, 12:02 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default are steering mods necessary to not fry servo

so from what I have gathered from reading a bunch of threads it seems the xr is rough on servos with the stock set up. I fried two servos today, one brand new hitec 7954 high voltage set to 7.4 volts with cc bec, and a used spectrum sr 200 standard servo set at 6 volts. No big surprise on the sr though. I was running chisels with about a pound total weight per front wheel. Now is it a must to get rid of the stock slider bta link and go with a straight link, plus the extended steering arm to avoid servo failure? The hitec serv was good for 400 oz. so I am kind of scratching my head here. Seems like yet another aspect of the xr that needs serious work for hassle free crawling, if there is such a thing I am planning on contacting hitec monday about what happened. Let me know what your opinions are on this issue as far as necessary steering mods or a better servo. I was getting great steering throw with both servos prior to poof, just rubbed the shocks a lot, damn stock wheels.
bikerj08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2011, 12:07 AM   #2
RCC Addict

I can't say I have had any issue similar to this, but the Hitecs will last much longer and not burn out if you can get the Over Load Protection (OLP) set to 10% with a programmer. ask around at your LHS, or pick one up for yourself.

Another thing to check are your EPA's if you are pushing the servos into a bind everytime you turn the wheel, it can cause premature expiration also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerj08 View Post
so from what I have gathered from reading a bunch of threads it seems the xr is rough on servos with the stock set up. I fried two servos today, one brand new hitec 7954 high voltage set to 7.4 volts with cc bec, and a used spectrum sr 200 standard servo set at 6 volts. No big surprise on the sr though. I was running chisels with about a pound total weight per front wheel. Now is it a must to get rid of the stock slider bta link and go with a straight link, plus the extended steering arm to avoid servo failure? The hitec serv was good for 400 oz. so I am kind of scratching my head here. Seems like yet another aspect of the xr that needs serious work for hassle free crawling, if there is such a thing I am planning on contacting hitec monday about what happened. Let me know what your opinions are on this issue as far as necessary steering mods or a better servo. I was getting great steering throw with both servos prior to poof, just rubbed the shocks a lot, damn stock wheels.
PaloAltoK5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 12:08 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Idk, how ppl keep burning up these damn Hitec servos. My futaba has held up to binds and abuse. Ever well before I ditched the stock BTA setup.
Jeepkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 12:10 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

I would invest in one of 3 solutions. Bwd steering arm, axial steering arm, or vp knuckles. All have longer arms to attach your servo to, making the leverage on the knuckle greater, relieving the torque needed on the servo, reducing heat and burn out.

Jim

Quote:
Vp Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 12:13 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

the 3 piece rod is a little hard on servos but not near as bad as runnin one pound front wheels moa's dont need near that much weight and just cuz a servo says it cn handle 7.4 doesnt mean you have to give it 7.4
murderface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 12:15 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by murderface View Post
the 3 piece rod is a little hard on servos but not near as bad as runnin one pound front wheels moa's dont need near that much weight and just cuz a servo says it cn handle 7.4 doesnt mean you have to give it 7.4
Couldnt say it any better. Murderface and I are running little to no wieght in our wheels.
Jeepkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 12:29 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Whats wrong with running a servo at 7.4 volts if it says it can handle 7.4 volts....I run my 7950 at 8.4 volts and its fine.

Ya maybe 16 oz per front wheel is a bit much but if thats how the OP feels his rig needs to be so what. That servo should have been able to handle the weight.

I agree with the rest tho a longer steering arm on the knuckle would have helped a lot, and that isn't really a big steering mod.
irok22s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 12:30 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

thanks guys, I am taking steps to fix the problem, taking weight out of front wheels, I fabbed an extended steering arm out of 18 ga stainless plate, prob going to get a straight link from chaotic crawlers. This i my first moa, I had a losi mrc pro before so that is the only thing I had to compare, just set it up to feel similar.
Old 03-20-2011, 12:37 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
thanks guys, I am taking steps to fix the problem, taking weight out of front wheels, I fabbed an extended steering arm out of 18 ga stainless plate, prob going to get a straight link from chaotic crawlers. This i my first moa, I had a losi mrc pro before so that is the only thing I had to compare, just set it up to feel similar.

Try about half the weight you have in your wheels now, then tune to feel from there.
irok22s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 12:47 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by irok22s View Post
Try about half the weight you have in your wheels now, then tune to feel from there.
will do, thanks man, while i'm waiting for another servo think I will work on bullet proofing my trannies
Old 03-20-2011, 01:01 AM   #11
RCC Addict

1 major issue i found was that there was sooo much slop in the stock steering, and some friction, that it caused my Hitec 7950th to heat up really bad..

then i put a straight link steering, then i went with a revo steering link.. this helped drop my temps at least 10 degrees, and i bind my servo even more now.
MRCCRAWLER1.9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 01:05 AM   #12
cherry bomb

during assembly of my kit when I saw that pathetic included steering arm I jumped online and ordered a BWD arm, I don't think I even ran it with the stock steering arm at all, it is WAY to short to provide adequate steering torque. I ran it with the stock slide for about 1 trip before making myself a solid tierod, steering is much smoother and much more solid. not neccisary, but defenatly recomended.
fred0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 09:46 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vp Monkey View Post
I would invest in one of 3 solutions. Bwd steering arm, axial steering arm, or vp knuckles. All have longer arms to attach your servo to, making the leverage on the knuckle greater, relieving the torque needed on the servo, reducing heat and burn out.

Jim
As was said here you need to get new knuckles.

Also
Get one of these and call it a day!
http://www.chaoticcrawlers.com/xr10-tierod-main.html
darkmanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 09:58 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

ordered the ti version earlier today

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkmanx View Post
As was said here you need to get new knuckles.

Also
Get one of these and call it a day!
http://www.chaoticcrawlers.com/xr10-tierod-main.html