Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: TexasSP's BJV4 XR called Black Widow

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2011, 02:39 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default TexasSP's BJV4 XR called Black Widow

that humble beginnings must start somewhere:

I am naming this Black Widow but not for reasons one would think and the skins scheme will not be what you're thinking. Someone who is into trains and understands where my screen name came from may figure it out.

Until then, more to come later, or sooner, whichever happens first.

Last edited by TexasSP; 05-19-2011 at 08:28 AM. Reason: thread title change
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2011, 02:45 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Good start. I have an idea on where its going.
My grampa worked on the railroad all over the country.
I know its probably not the scheme you are going with, but its says SP.

Jeepkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:20 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Badass Brian, let me know if I can help with anything.
4xFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:54 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Very cool Brian!
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:37 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepkid View Post
Good start. I have an idea on where its going.
My grampa worked on the railroad all over the country.
I know its probably not the scheme you are going with, but its says SP.
Close, that's the bloody nose scheme. The black widow incorporates several colors. Been talking to Michelle and should be hearing something back from here this week.

I see you are building yours too Shelby, didn't catch your thread before posting mine. I am sticking with the stock gears at the moment as hot racing hasn't always been kind to me. I will probably try rc4wd's when the stockers blow. Will definitely be looking for your help with setup (and Jeremy's too )

The losi will be taking a different direction which is something I wanted to do with it for a while. I have two different avenues it could go and am undecided at this point.

Looks like there will be a lot of XR's at the coming comps.

Going to be running a punk dig in the beginning to save up funds for two mamba micro pros. I also want to get some better motors but just have some stock 55t's I will run on 4s for now. Probably won't be enough speed but we'll see.

I am loving the look of this chassis for sure. There is just something very sexy about it's lines that the others don't have.

Last edited by TexasSP; 04-04-2011 at 07:42 PM.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:33 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Thinking more like this
clarkrw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:21 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkrw3 View Post
Thinking more like this
Now that's a Black Widow. EMD SD9? Can't wait to see the panels. I have few HO Black Widows. Never thought of train paint schemes for panel ideas.
Ghostkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:09 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkrw3 View Post
Thinking more like this
Yup, something like that also incorporating my screen name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostkid View Post
Now that's a Black Widow. EMD SD9? Can't wait to see the panels. I have few HO Black Widows. Never thought of train paint schemes for panel ideas.
It looks like SD9 but the radiator grills about midway don't look right and neither does the upper portion of the nose. Maybe something SP had done special or was on later models?

I am not extremely creative but love trains and love crawlers so I thought they could form a marriage of sorts. I have an E7 AB set in HO with the black widow scheme and it's one of my favorites. Even if I can't drive well my crawler will look good.

My dad and I have a 300 square foot HO setup (I do most of the work on it). It's harder to find time for it with my family (kids and all) and the fact it is at my dad's hangar and not at home. I have an O scale setup for my oldest son at home. It's just a carpet empire on the floor running a SP Daylight but he loves it.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:33 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Preview of the skins
Attached Images

Last edited by Krawler Konceptz; 04-10-2011 at 05:39 AM.
Krawler Konceptz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 06:46 AM   #10
RCC Addict

That's awesome Michelle! So much effort went into these and they are better than I imagined. This has for sure been another great rcc vendor experience! Can't wait to get these.....
Old 04-10-2011, 08:36 AM   #11
RCC Addict

So the plan for the future will include VP parts used to match the scheme and pattern.

I have motor plates on the way but the other will have to wait.

For the future I will have a silver trans housing up front with orange motor plate and orange side of housing. Orange chubs and knuckles, red rings on black wheels f/r, read black trans housing and black straight axle adapters.

I have all my electronics setup right now, just have to solder in the motors but waiting for my links to get here (should be by end of the week) and my new motor plates.

Using my white rovers with 5.5 novas and stock wheels for now but picked up some vanquish weights. I did not like how much space the inner wheel weights took up.

Also picked up some losi golds for the front and greys for the rear. I eventually want to use big bores and mini t springs but that will have to wait.

Last edited by TexasSP; 04-10-2011 at 08:52 AM.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:26 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Some progress.

Got new links the other day. Lotso spaghetti, the work well though:

Little photo outside on some test rocks, nothing to complicated. Wheels are not permament though, just threw them on to test drive. Axial uses such little screws for the beadlocks they strip too easily, it's annoying. Have some VP's on the way I picked up from another member here. Also running some axial 55t's I had sitting around, 4s and a 55t turn works well together though......

I love how it drives, so much it tackles with ease that the LCC just struggled with. These links help a lot too, so far I think they are worth the money.

I still need to pick up a battery tray from Rowdy, and some new shocks are in order soon. Wanting the big bores and mini t springs. Definitely will be switching to twin micro pros when funds permit as well. Punk dig and MMP are nice, but take up too much space.

Last edited by TexasSP; 04-19-2011 at 04:29 PM.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:51 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Looking good Brian!!!
Old 04-19-2011, 05:25 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Thanks! I still have work to do, but I like it so far.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:03 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

x2 on the screws stripping. That was the most time consuming thing in my build so far because they stripped so bad. I need some SLW's.
Dillpickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 04:37 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

You can run long 3mm hardware into the wheels instead of stock buttery screws. Looks like this rig is coming along!
4xFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:17 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xFord View Post
You can run long 3mm hardware into the wheels instead of stock buttery screws. Looks like this rig is coming along!
Yup, got some in the toolbox I will be using. I just don't get why they used the little 2.5mm screws in the first place. I will put the VP wheels on and save the stockers for something else. Nice to have some good plastic beadlocks to beat on.

Did some more driving today and love how this rig moves, the links are fantastic. I kept finding myself amazed at what this thing went over with ease. I will definitely find myself pushing this rig more and more.

I think I will go ahead and try to do something with the front shocks soon, the tire rub is a problem for sure. Also got to get the battery mount.

While proportional control will be nice to have in the future, the punk setup is working well for me right now.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:50 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawler Konceptz View Post
Preview of the skins
Those look great!!!
Ghostkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 12:17 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Alright, little delayed on getting pics up with the skins on. Also got my new/used VP wheels from a member here. Plan on switching to red rings on the wheels to match up with the scheme but the orange works for now. May even leave orange on the inner and only do red on the outer.

XR is going for a little surgery as I busted a front final drive gear. I plan on just upgrading what breaks until VP gets their gears out. So for now it's axial machined which is on the way from RPP.

My next order of business is some hand wounds from Holmes. May have to wait a few weeks for funds to replenish though.

Many thanks again to Michelle (aka KrawlerKoncepts) for the great looking skins. I know I will be the most unique looking crawler at the local comps.

Last edited by TexasSP; 04-29-2011 at 12:20 PM.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:30 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Looking good Brian!