Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: New to Crawling starting build. comments

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2011, 07:48 PM   #1

Default New to Crawling starting build. comments

I have been researching XR10 for a while now and I have watched every guide I can find. There are so many parts recommendations. Here is a kit with pretty much everything from CKRC

http://www.ckrccrawlers.com/ax90017-...ly-p-2637.html

I would really just need to sub in a Futaba 4Pks for the twin stick they have listed.

Or I can just get the main XR10 kit with:

2 Tekin FXr 45t motor esc kits
Futaba 4Pks with receiver
Lipo battery
Castle BEC
Hitech Servo
Tires
Foam etc.

All the other parts like aluminum knuckles, arms etc. Is that required from the start?

Thanks,
spersky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2011, 08:45 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

You could go with a 4PL its about half the price of the 4PKs.

I have about 20 packs into mine and a mini comp and the axles are all stock. I say upgrade as you break.
DioptricStraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:14 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Save dough, get the 4pl You will love it
Jeepkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 01:52 AM   #4
TSK
Shelf queen

Stock is pretty good, but I have three upgrades that will vastly improve durability.

- metal upper links
- motor plate upgrade (9mm mod, VP or Axial plates, or RC4WD bearing upgrade)
- 5x8x2.5mm non-flanged bushings (TRX3775 one package does both axles) (for top link housing and gear case) **not needed if boing with RC4WD bearing upgrade, but you'll still need 2 bushings (one each for top link housing)
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 09:48 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

I wouldnt buy the CKRC kit, I think alot of the parts that they are saying are CKRC parts are rebadged HR parts from what I have read on here. I would suggest just buying the kit, building it yourself which will get you familiar with the truck and then buying the upgrades that are neccesary.

I believe you can buy the kit for $189 from RPP now, thats a smokin deal. If you look at my build thread I have listed out all the upgrade parts I have added to my truck with prices and where I bought them which will give you an idea as to what you may spend. I will list the parts that I feel are most important upgrades for the XR10;

-Vanquish Chubs, Knuckles, Lockouts, Tranny Cases, Motor Plates
- Aluminum Wheels (Vanquish or Mayhem Evos are my preferred)
-Aluminum or Titanium Links all the way around
-RC4WD Gears or Axial Machined Gears
-

Last edited by BFGcrawler418; 07-01-2011 at 09:52 PM.
BFGcrawler418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 10:15 PM   #6
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFGcrawler418 View Post
I wouldnt buy the CKRC kit, I think alot of the parts that they are saying are CKRC parts are rebadged HR parts from what I have read on here. I would suggest just buying the kit, building it yourself which will get you familiar with the truck and then buying the upgrades that are neccesary.

I believe you can buy the kit for $189 from RPP now, thats a smokin deal. If you look at my build thread I have listed out all the upgrade parts I have added to my truck with prices and where I bought them which will give you an idea as to what you may spend. I will list the parts that I feel are most important upgrades for the XR10;

-Vanquish Chubs, Knuckles, Lockouts, Tranny Cases, Motor Plates
- Aluminum Wheels (Vanquish or Mayhem Evos are my preferred)
-Aluminum or Titanium Links all the way around
-RC4WD Gears or Axial Machined Gears
-
I am curious as why you consider aluminum wheels, knuckles and c's as essential upgrades? Bender just proved that the stock plastic is comp worthy.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:05 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSCorpionKing View Post
I am curious as why you consider aluminum wheels, knuckles and c's as essential upgrades? Bender just proved that the stock plastic is comp worthy.
Wheels provide adjustability of offsets; knuckles provide better steering and strength for front axle because of all the stress. Chubs for strength also.

Sure they may have won with plastic parts but some have been modified just like benders knuckles that he stated were modified for zero ackerman. Not everyone has the ability to modify stuff himself or the tools, the parts I suggested are ready right out of the box no modification needed.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:15 PM   #8
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
Wheels provide adjustability of offsets; knuckles provide better steering and strength for front axle because of all the stress. Chubs for strength also.

Sure they may have won with plastic parts but some have been modified just like benders knuckles that he stated were modified for zero ackerman. Not everyone has the ability to modify stuff himself or the tools, the parts I suggested are ready right out of the box no modification needed.
For. Guy who is just getting into crawling, I don't see those as being beneficial. However, the bearing failures & consequently, the resulting gear failure, is something that all XR owners encounter.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:21 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
For. Guy who is just getting into crawling, I don't see those as being beneficial. However, the bearing failures & consequently, the resulting gear failure, is something that all XR owners encounter.
Nowhere in his original post did he say he was new to crawling, and why not have quality parts so that u can drive to the best of ur ability?

It's funny that u question why I suggested those parts when u were just hinting in benders build thread that axial should modify their parts, why modify them when other companies like vanquished already have? Re-engineer the engineered? Lmao that's why I suggested them........just saying.....

Here's ur comment from his build thread;

Quote:
Perhaps Axial (cough, cough!) should make a revision to their aluminum and plastic knuckles (cough, cough!), so that they already have this hole drilled (cough, cough!)

Last edited by BFGcrawler418; 07-01-2011 at 11:25 PM.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:28 PM   #10
cherry bomb

Quote:
Nowhere in his original post did he say he was new to crawling
check the thread title.

I agree, I personaly wouldn't run a box stock XR10 again, gears and bearing upgrades are required for the XR10, like others have said skip the 4pk and get the 4pl (you will be just as happy) and take care of the bearing/gear problem with the saved money

also take into consideration CKRC's rep, type CKRC into the search and read some reviews on their service... or should I say lack of

Last edited by fred0000; 07-01-2011 at 11:31 PM.
fred0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 11:32 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred0000 View Post
check the thread title.

I agree, I personaly wouldn't run a box stock XR10 again, gears and bearing upgrades are required for the XR10, like others have said skip the 4pk and get the 4pl (you will be just as happy) and take care of the bearing/gear problem with the saved money
now I see the new to crawling thing, hard to see on a cell phone lol.

I personal have had great luck with ckrc and have nothing bad to Say about them but buy with caution cause lots of bad reviews from others.

Last edited by BFGcrawler418; 07-01-2011 at 11:34 PM.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:45 PM   #12
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
Nowhere in his original post did he say he was new to crawling, and why not have quality parts so that u can drive to the best of ur ability?

It's funny that u question why I suggested those parts when u were just hinting in benders build thread that axial should modify their parts, why modify them when other companies like vanquished already have? Re-engineer the engineered? Lmao that's why I suggested them........just saying.....

Here's ur comment from his build thread;
I know what it posted in Bender's thread because I posted it. How hard would it be for Axial to add a hole to an existing part? The reason I suggested that it because it gives the end user more options for tuning. On top of that, not everyone can afford all of VP's components. $1400+ may sound like a "budget build" for you, but not everyone has that kind of coin. With the exception of the XR & Dx3c, most all the parts for my build were bought used, made, or already owned.