Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: TJ Steve's Progress chassis/Chaotic linked build adventure.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2011, 06:09 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default TJ Steve's Progress chassis/Chaotic linked build adventure.

I finally got to the place where I needed to start this thread. I was gonna start it 2 weeks ago but got sidetracked by the design bug. More on that later. Anyhow, as soon as I saw Hardknockz Progress build, I knew this was the way I wanted to go. I had my XR10 box under the workbench waiting for me to finish my scaler, but that didn't last long..........
(It's still not finished)
I got the Progress chassis in the mail and started trying to figure what I was going to do with it. I decided that I really wanted Titanium links but nobody was making them for this chassis. So I ordered some Delrin tube and 4mm all thread from McMaster Carr, and was going to go with that. The more I thought about it, I didn't want fat links because I thought it would undermine the extra belly clearance of the Progress. So I went ahead and ordered a set of XR10 links from Chaotic. I kinda thought that they might work, because the two builds with this chassis that I knew of, had used axial XR10 links. I figured if they didn't, I could just bend them to make them work. I had already contacted them about some for the Progress but they said it wasn't happening yet. After I placed my order, Nick contacted me, and one thing led to another and Marc said they would send me two sets to try if I would be willing to get all the info they needed. So, after about two weeks, I ended up being the first guy with Chaotic Crawlers Titanium Links for a Progress Chassis!
These guys are a first class operation, with a passion for RC Crawlers, and put out some quality products!
I've not ever worked with anyone better, period!
A great big THANKS for all their help! You won't go wrong dealing with these guys.
TJ Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2011, 06:21 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

im watchin this one cause your close to home an i mite have to get with u an see this
slowride1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 06:26 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Here's the list..............

Axial XR10 kit
RCP Crawlers-Progress Chassis
Chaotic Crawlers-Titanium Links and Tie Rod
Traxxas-Revo Link Ends
Pit Bull-Rock Beast Tires
Dos Piezas-Foams
VP-SLW V1 Wheels
VP-Steering Knuckles
VP-Chubs
VP-Lockouts
Hitec-HS-7950TH Servo
HH-Torquemaster Pro 40T Motors
CC-BEC
Tekin-FX-R ESC
Spektrum SR3520 Receiver
Heyok (Al Jackson)- DIG

Probably forgot something else, but can add later.
I forgot the Losi gold shock springs. I'll most likely go with the 4" Losi Crawler shocks too.
Rowdy Racing-Battery mount
I've either have, or it's on the way, everything except for the servo, motors, ESC, receiver, and dig.
I'm not rich, so I have to buy a little at a time.

Last edited by TJ Steve; 08-28-2011 at 07:10 PM.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:29 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

i have everthing u need if u get that far befor u get it all
Old 08-11-2011, 06:32 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowride1 View Post
im watchin this one cause your close to home an i mite have to get with u an see this
You'll see it gets pretty interesting later on.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:37 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

ive been lookin at that chasis myself along with 3 others an no one around here runs them so it will be cool to maybe come see this one in person
Old 08-11-2011, 06:37 PM   #7
TSK
Shelf queen

Where's the pics?
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 06:40 PM   #8
Its a HARDKNOCKZ Life...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ Steve View Post
So, after about two weeks, I ended up being the first guy with Chaotic Crawlers Titanium Links for a Progress Chassis!
Well lawdee daw for you & your links man Seriously...that's cool they hooked ya up bro. Now I remember you mentioning something about this. I hit Marc up a couple of weeks ago & he told me that he had someone testing some links for the PROGRESS. Right on.

I'm assuming you're running a DX3E or something by the rx you listed. You may wanna think hard about running a 4PL & dual ESC's. Makes a HUGE difference in what can be done with this rig. I know it's a pricey way to go but something to think about if you're going to comp your rig.

Keep us posted on your build & hit me up if ya run into any snags.

J.D.
HARDKNOCKZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 06:46 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

I read everything I could about the XR10's, and decided to go with the 10mm mod on the motor plates I had read about in Ittybitty's build.
I did figure out how to clearance the bearing flange for the flat head screw. Some of you might be interested in this, so I took a pic.

I put the bearing in my bench vise, (I've got some brass liners) clamped it just enough to hold while I filed a notch in the flange with a chainsaw file. They have a fine cut,and are made to file hard material. Then I used that Locktite retaining compound in the pic to hold all the bearings in the plate.

Last edited by TJ Steve; 08-12-2011 at 05:14 AM.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:54 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSCorpionKing View Post
Where's the pics?
The pics are coming, I've been answering some PM's while I'm trying to get all this posted.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:03 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARDKNOCKZ View Post
Well lawdee daw for you & your links man Seriously...that's cool they hooked ya up bro. Now I remember you mentioning something about this. I hit Marc up a couple of weeks ago & he told me that he had someone testing some links for the PROGRESS. Right on.

I'm assuming you're running a DX3E or something by the rx you listed. You may wanna think hard about running a 4PL & dual ESC's. Makes a HUGE difference in what can be done with this rig. I know it's a pricey way to go but something to think about if you're going to comp your rig.

Keep us posted on your build & hit me up if ya run into any snags.

J.D.
Hello JD, I've been following your thread still, and saw you have some of the links comming now too. You won't be disappointed!
Yeah, I've got a DX3R I just bought back in February when I only thought I would be running a scaler.
Little did I know then, how much fun this actually is. It looks like I'm stuck with the Spektrum for a while.
I've got to drive at least 70 miles for any comps around here, so the Spektrum will be great to learn on.
Thanks for the offer for help, I may have to ask a few question before this thing is finished.
I'm glad you saw this as I think you will be real interested in where this build is going. Meanwhile, I got a little more story to tell, before I post a pic of where this thing is at now.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:10 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

With the 10mm mod (which i did also) you will have to space the motor out with small washers between the motor and plate.
losiking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 07:13 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Here's the pics. I'll try to explain as I go along without getting too long winded.

Here's the pics with the first set of links.

I wasn't sure what to think at this point, this being my first crawler.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:13 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

We have been looking forward to seeing this build for a while now!"

We are excited to see you finish it up and drive it. And we can't thank you enough for all your help and patience on getting these links correct.

Everybody is in for a treat with this build!
Chaotic Crawlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 07:21 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
losiking1 With the 10mm mod (which i did also) you will have to space the motor out with small washers between the motor and plate.
No need to space them, I have ran the 10mm mod since the day I got my preorder xr-10 and after almost a year of hell finally broke a gear but it was from the cases wearing out of the time of abuse. I never had any issues with alignment or binding not spacing my motors either.
ManiacMagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 07:22 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Link set number 2.

You can see that the rear links are too long on this set, so back to the first ones.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:26 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotic Crawlers View Post
We have been looking forward to seeing this build for a while now!"

We are excited to see you finish it up and drive it. And we can't thank you enough for all your help and patience on getting these links correct.

Everybody is in for a treat with this build!
Thanks for the kind words Marc. I can't thank you enough for all your help, patience, and guidance.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:47 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

I think it was at about this point that I decided to build a jig to more accurately measure my wheelbase. I was using a steel rule and a pair of good digital callipers, but not able to come up with any consistancy.
This is what I came up with.

It took several hours one evening, but was well worth the effort as it made measurements from hear on out a breeze!

After many emails back and forth with Marc and Nick, many adjustments
(shock mounts, frame link points, link ends), we came up with a very good set-up. Oh, I almost forgot, I limited my shocks internally with some 6mm spacers.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:04 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Here's the final pics of what it looked like at this point.
I'll let the pics speek for themselves.

Well It's my bed time here in Indiana. 10:00pm, and I have to get up at 4:50.
Here's a little teaser to keep you all interested. Let's just say I got jealous of Marcs Especial Bodiless, and got out the drawing board!

The "Old School Bantam"

To be continued with more pics tomorrow.................
Goodnight Ladies and Gents.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:33 PM   #20
Its a HARDKNOCKZ Life...

First off...you got some hairy hands dude.

Second...You said the 2nd set of links were too long but didn't specify why. Was it just the lowers, just the uppers or all 4? Was it because it threw your wheelbase out past 12.5" or just clocked your axles all silly like?

Third...I noticed that you have your shock arms on the OUTSIDE of your chassis. You MAY wanna try em on the inside of the plates. Obviously it's up to you but it really triangulates the suspension & once you find that happy spot for your setup, weight & driving style...the rig is just flat planted. Again...up to you. There are a few guys that run em outboarded but after trying both setups...I found my rig to be way more stable.

Fourth...got any wheels so you can shoot some GC pics & numbers?

Aaaand fifth...You got some hairy hands dude.

Seriously...good looking build so far. I've kicked around a topper design or 2 myself for the PROGRESS but I don't wanna throw anymore weight up top than I need to. Plus...I like painting my lids.
HARDKNOCKZ is offline   Reply With Quote