Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: XR10 with VIPER chasis - upper links help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2011, 05:53 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default XR10 with VIPER chasis - upper links help

I'm having a hard time looking for a upper links that will fit the VIPER.
What upper links are the VIPER driver using and which rod ends?
Thanks
bikeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2011, 06:00 PM   #2
20K Club

There are TONS of Viper builds. Do some searching and you'll find the answers faster than waiting on people to do the work for you.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 06:09 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

***Chaotic Crawlers Titanium XR10 links (simple how to)***

This is all I got brotha. Look up Articzap, Tydl, DickyT's old build, jeepkid has awesome ideas too.

This just scratches the surface, I didn't meen to leave anyone out, just list off a handful of Viper builds off the top of my head.
eisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 06:10 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Harley with all due respect
I did look and there's info that are confusing. And you're right there's alot of build out there, that I saw. I guess I should state that when I post.
Ok let me be more specific. CrawlHer posted a upper links for the VIPER using the Vanquish Product Wraith Titanium Upper Link Arms
http://www.vanquishproducts.com/wrai...per-links.html
Anyone else try this out?
Old 08-16-2011, 06:26 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

I hadn't even heard of that one yet... I don't have a Wraith, but I know that they have a 13.5" wheelbase. I can't say if the links would work out or not. One good trick is to use some 8-32 all thread rod and try out some different combos. It's easy to bend and cut, and Revo ends fit perfectly onto it.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:12 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by eisman View Post
One good trick is to use some 8-32 all thread rod and try out some different combos. It's easy to bend and cut, and Revo ends fit perfectly onto it.
This is what I did, and it does work the best.

I can measure mine for you, but it all depends on where you want to clock the axle. I for instance have the gearbox very level, where jeepkid has his clocked to the sky. lol And there isn't a right or wrong, but what works for me, may not be to your liking. The all thread is what you should do, you could even get some stainless steel tube and be done with it. Use Revo rodend tra5347.

The uppers front and rear only worked for me with a bend for clearance.
Tydl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 07:20 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

yeah from what I've been searching in this forumn there is no one solution that you can "just buy and install" out there
Awhile back I pm Jeepkid about it and he help out, ended up with using the axial bent pipe
not to thrill about it so thats why I'm looking into something else
i might do the solution eisman and Tydl mention in this post
worth a shot, cheap and flexible solution
thanks guys

Last edited by bikeboy; 08-16-2011 at 07:29 PM.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:38 PM   #8
RCC Addict

From my build thread.

Quote:
My front CI low clearance links have a Losi 17* bent rod end where it goes into the axle and a Revo rod end at the chassis.
My T1E rear links have a Revo rod end at the chassis and Jato rod end at the axle.
My front upper Axial 30* bent links have had 5/16" taken off of the short side for proper axle clocking. These are placed in the furthest back, middle height position on the chassis.
The rear uppers are now Revo push rods and mounted inboard on the chassis. These are placed furthest back on the chassis and highest position.
Still rocking the axial bent rod ends on the front upper links. I will be doing custom Ti links soon though.
articzap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 07:42 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by articzap View Post
From my build thread.

Still rocking the axial bent rod ends on the front upper links. I will be doing custom Ti links soon though.
you brought up an interesting point.
About the inboard mount. What is the advantage and disadvantage versus inboard and outboard?
Old 08-16-2011, 07:46 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeboy View Post
About the inboard mount. What is the advantage and disadvantage versus inboard and outboard?
Inboard ducks the links in and keeps them out of the way. I did it for the reason of running those Traxxas links. Out board would push the axle way to far down. Slight less stability, but plenty enough to keep the truck planted. Most guys are running front and back inboarded, I am only running back inboarded right now.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:47 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

I have now clocked my front down a good bit. Running CI lower clearence links in the front now. My servo is close to level.
Jeepkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 07:49 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeboy View Post
Forgot about that, mine are inboarded too, but I did them originally outboarded. I definitely makes it easier to clearance the shocks by inboarding, but you do get some axle sway.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:50 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepkid View Post
I have now clocked my front down a good bit. Running CI lower clearence links in the front now. My servo is close to level.
I run my axles so that the upper and lower link mounting points are in the same vertical plane.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:51 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I run my axles so that the upper and lower link mounting points are in the same vertical plane.
As do I now
It feel great on sidehills that I couldent dig into before.
Now its so much smoother.
Jeepkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 07:53 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Just cuz I can't see it clearly at the moment, where does that put your gearbox?
Old 08-16-2011, 08:00 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tydl View Post
Just cuz I can't see it clearly at the moment, where does that put your gearbox?

Old 08-16-2011, 08:04 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Thanks Articzap

The second picture shows a great perspective.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:10 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

FWIW, I found that when mocking up my upper links, when they were outboarded there was tons of binding. None with them inboarded. An attribute of the straight links I suppose.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:17 PM   #19
TSK
Shelf queen

Best answer of the day.

The simplest solution to find what works for you is to pick up some all thread and revo ends. then mount the rod ends to the axle and chassis.

postiion the axle to the desired clock position and measure the distance between the ends of the rod ends. Then add 20mm to that measurement (to account for 10mm of threading on each end)

This will get you to where you want, and you can later find apporiate links to suit your needs (such as the Lunsford Rock Grinders that come in virtually any length you could need. Plus you could always sleeve the all thread with some brake line, and bend the rod for motor clearance, ec.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:05 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSCorpionKing View Post
Best answer of the day.

The simplest solution to find what works for you is to pick up some all thread and revo ends. then mount the rod ends to the axle and chassis.

postiion the axle to the desired clock position and measure the distance between the ends of the rod ends. Then add 20mm to that measurement (to account for 10mm of threading on each end)

This will get you to where you want, and you can later find apporiate links to suit your needs (such as the Lunsford Rock Grinders that come in virtually any length you could need. Plus you could always sleeve the all thread with some brake line, and bend the rod for motor clearance, ec.
I can't take credit for that advise. Articzap gave me that same advise a while back. He definitely deserves all the credit here.

Me... I just did the math, and got links to suit my needs. It is the best advise though.