Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: AX's XR Mantis

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2011, 05:52 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default AX's XR Mantis

Well my mantis chassis got here today

ok guys spent a few hours gettin this together .....in of course my signature BLUE........bring on the comps

BWD Mantis chassis
dual Tekin FXR's
1050mAh 3s
dx3r pro
losikids want-a-mix
vanq motor plates and bearings
vanq trans cases
vanq axle tops front and rear
vanq front and rear upper link bulkheads
vanq dhII procomp wheels with weights
vanq slw v4
hb sedonas
crawler inovation double duece foams
hr knuckles and c-hubs clocked back one more spline tooth will be stepin up vanq soon
hitec HS-7954-sh hi torque/voltage
heyok's no brainer bec custom built to 7.4v out @10 amp direct to servo
robitronics servo horn
custom made front axle battery mount (not installed yet)
custom hand crafted one piece front behind the axle steering link

hope you all like it

let me know what you think

i love it will get out on the rocks and test it out soon

I'll get some video of it for ya too

Last edited by scorpion_ax; 10-04-2011 at 06:58 PM.
scorpion_ax is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2011, 06:00 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Hey man that looks really good. i was wondering though, are the weights on the rear axle just a vanquish slug with a hole drilled in them?
Hittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 06:07 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittman View Post
Hey man that looks really good. i was wondering though, are the weights on the rear axle just a vanquish slug with a hole drilled in them?
yeah they are slugs drilled with 15mm long screws into the top of the axle/lockout

i had two one there will have to try this chassis out to see if it needs more if so a piece of servo tape on the slug and snug it to the others and a zap strap works great

ok so lets refraise this so i don't look like an idiot more then i allready here ...LOL

one slug is drilled and screwed to the top of the lockout and if you want to add another its simple......put a piece of servo take on the new one your adding and stick it to the back side of th exsisting mounted wieght so it sticks to the slug and the lock and simply put a zap strap around them just to make sure you don't loose the taped one but it will hold there anyways its a safety measure and for the wieght loss from drilling the slug you wont even notice the differance

Last edited by scorpion_ax; 10-05-2011 at 11:05 AM.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:09 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

cool cool well that is a very smart idea. And again nice rig
Hittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 06:18 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Awesome rig you have there! The skins are super cool, and the rear lockout weights are genius! My only grief is that your HR Chubs don't match all the nice VP gear. I'm looking forward to see how this one performs.
eisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 06:51 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by eisman View Post
Awesome rig you have there! The skins are super cool, and the rear lockout weights are genius! My only grief is that your HR Chubs don't match all the nice VP gear. I'm looking forward to see how this one performs.
yeah i know i feel the same about the chubs and knucks they will be gone soon
i will be ordering the vp's with knuckle weights

got the ifea for the skins when i was walking through the dollar store looking to see what kind of plastic i could use and when i walked down the school supply isle the light went on so these are from a cut up school binder/folder thing super light wieght and sorta transparent

glad you like it guys

Last edited by scorpion_ax; 10-04-2011 at 06:53 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:15 PM   #7
Try to Bend it

Nice rig man. Binders make great skins and you can pick any colour you like.

One suggestion though. Flip your servo to reduce the chances of your horn getting hung up.
Highlucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:38 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlucks View Post
Nice rig man. Binders make great skins and you can pick any colour you like.

One suggestion though. Flip your servo to reduce the chances of your horn getting hung up.
hey bud i just flipped through your build and your servo is the same configuration as mine ..............in all your pics

i guess your saying flip it to get it away from the center if the diff to get away from hangin up in the center of approach
Old 10-04-2011, 08:23 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Looking good up to this point, Im digging that new chassis and the crazy break over ability it seems to bring to the table. Interesting way of doing the rear weight system.
DRCrawlGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:25 PM   #10
5th D Owner/Driver

When you flip that servo you can use a Revo and Jato rod end for your steering tierod. Comes out perfect.
cboggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 09:10 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

so i swapped out the shock springs for a little softer ones. added a bit more wieght in the back took out the two rear crossmembers and this thing responds wayyyy better and goes anywhere now
Old 10-08-2011, 10:22 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Nice rig!!
Welcome to the Mantis club!!!
Norcal_GIT_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 11:54 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Looking good so far, it's a sweet chassis but does require a different driving style. You might want to cycle the front and check for binding at the upper links. It first came with the same links upper and lower but people with the stock link mount were binding on the motor. I have the VP link mount, the straight links work good and the bent ones would hit the topper. I'm not sure if Don's shipping both styles of links or just the bent ones now but you may want straight links with the VP mount.
AdverseCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 02:09 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdverseCity View Post
Looking good so far, it's a sweet chassis but does require a different driving style. You might want to cycle the front and check for binding at the upper links. It first came with the same links upper and lower but people with the stock link mount were binding on the motor. I have the VP link mount, the straight links work good and the bent ones would hit the topper. I'm not sure if Don's shipping both styles of links or just the bent ones now but you may want straight links with the VP mount.
yeah you know what the tops are the bent ones and they do hit the topper maybe i might try soemthing a little different.

mind you they only hit if you compress the the hole front end it doesn't hit much at all when just compressing one side at a time to mimick articulating up and incline
Old 10-08-2011, 02:55 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Love the look of that chassis, looks mean!
mdchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 04:20 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

I like your rear weight setup! How do you like the performance of this chassis vs. the stock one? I'm reallyl looking at getting one.
spunkysandoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 05:43 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunkysandoval View Post
I like your rear weight setup! How do you like the performance of this chassis vs. the stock one? I'm reallyl looking at getting one.
the weights system works pretty good like that but i have changed it up a little from a suggestion from a guy named Shamus on here and now it performs way better.

i have a test area in my front yard that i would run my xr on and this does that area far better and in one spot my xr could not make it up this thing climbs it like its not even there ........lovin it so far ....have a local comp here in vancouver bc at the end of the month and will get some better thoughts out here

going to step out to the shop and take some shots of the new weight sstem i have to show you guys
Old 10-08-2011, 05:45 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

In for pics!
spunkysandoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 06:11 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Well a big shout out to Shamus A here for the brilliant idea for rear weight

I changed up the rear weights system and this works great gives me 5.5 oz's of weight on each side at the back and from my testing i did today with them they work great with this new rig

here is what i did
princess auto is a great place for stuff so I picked up a few sizes of set collars
two of each 5/8's set and 1 1/8 set collar and had to drill out the inside of the 5/8 collar to fit over the stock lock out and then a slight hone on the inside of the 1 1/8 collar and bango they fit like a glove and helps out to keep the rear of the matis grounded

here are some pics for ya to check out let me know what you think

Old 10-08-2011, 06:16 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

sort of looks like a brake rotor in begind the wheel from the front