Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: Traxxas bushing vs. HPI bushing.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2011, 09:49 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Traxxas bushing vs. HPI bushing.

Does anyone know of any significant differences between the two? The traxxas pieces are oil impregnated I believe, will the HPI bushings work the same inside the gear case?
day215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2011, 04:08 PM   #2
TSK
Shelf queen

A bronze bushing is a bronze bushing. But the traxxas bushing is damn cheap. $5 for 12 pieces. That's enough for both gear cases MINUS the motor plate
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 04:43 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

a bushing is a bushing which = CRAP no matter who makes them IMO

go bearings, boca sells them for 99 cents each or you can get the complete kit.
dblrnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 05:27 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblrnut View Post
a bushing is a bushing which = CRAP no matter who makes them IMO

go bearings, boca sells them for 99 cents each or you can get the complete kit.
So is the issue the size of the bearing or the quality of the bearing? I thought people were going with bushings inside the case because you can't get a larger bearing to fit, the exception would be an aftermarket case such as Vanquish. A bushing eliminates the potential for a crushed bearing, I haven't heard of anyone using a better quality stock sized bearing. Are people swapping out the link mount bearing for a bushing as well, what about the spool bearings?
Old 10-05-2011, 06:42 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

the main thing they are used for is the bearing under the link mount and some in the axle/gear case and then do the 9mm mod to the motor plate along with either stock or higher quality bearings on the spool. on mine i put ceramic bearing under the link mount and have vanquish motor plate and cases which came with bearings and better steel bearings on the spools.
benoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 06:45 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

From the vast number of 'bearings vs. bushings' debates I've seen more people argue that in a crawler the friction of a bushing isn't going to be noticeable and isn't a big deal.

I run VP motor plates and gear boxes which replace all of the 5x8mm bearings except for the ones in the link mounts; for those I replaced them with the Traxxas bushings.

My dad just bought a rig from another member here and it has VP motor plates with stock gear boxes. I will replace the 5x8mm bearings in the stock gear boxes and link mounts with Traxxas bushings.

Personally I don't trust any 5x8mm bearing not to break. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe there were some members here that did the math and figured out that 5x8mm bearings were never strong enough to be able to withstand the forces that can be exerted by the gears. Though I'm sure that could be debated too.
Omega-Tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:38 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega-Tron View Post
From the vast number of 'bearings vs. bushings' debates I've seen more people argue that in a crawler the friction of a bushing isn't going to be noticeable and isn't a big deal.

I run VP motor plates and gear boxes which replace all of the 5x8mm bearings except for the ones in the link mounts; for those I replaced them with the Traxxas bushings.

My dad just bought a rig from another member here and it has VP motor plates with stock gear boxes. I will replace the 5x8mm bearings in the stock gear boxes and link mounts with Traxxas bushings.

Personally I don't trust any 5x8mm bearing not to break. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe there were some members here that did the math and figured out that 5x8mm bearings were never strong enough to be able to withstand the forces that can be exerted by the gears. Though I'm sure that could be debated too.
So, in the abcense of VP cases, running bushings in the link mount and case along with the 9mm mod to the plates and two higher quality Bearings on the spool, that should get er' done right?
Old 10-05-2011, 10:35 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

From my understanding yes. I'm currently building my xr10 kit. I put the stock bearings in. but I'm gonna pull the axles apart and put bushings in and bigger bearings before I even run it. Now I wish/understand why I should have cut the motor plate. Doh...

Sent from my uber smart, smart phone....
asian195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 05:56 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by day215 View Post
So, in the abcense of VP cases, running bushings in the link mount and case along with the 9mm mod to the plates and two higher quality Bearings on the spool, that should get er' done right?
I've been running bushings in the cases, and the 9mm bearings in the motor plate for close to a year now. No issues. The stock spool bearings are fine.
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 06:00 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manning View Post
I've been running bushings in the cases, and the 9mm bearings in the motor plate for close to a year now. No issues. The stock spool bearings are fine.

exactly what i have too... running w/ 35T HH and now w/ 45T Brood LE w/o issue
dude26 is offline   Reply With Quote