Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: Top Link Mount 5x8 Bearing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2012, 01:41 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Top Link Mount 5x8 Bearing

I ordered some aftermarket gear cases and motor plates (RC4WD) and the last weak point is that small bearing on the output shaft. I also considered the Vanquish case and motor mount and wanted orange, but nobody had all of it in stock. In the end I would have had to order from 2-3 different places and be killed on the shipping. It looked like people really liked the RC4WD case except for the fact it was missing the bling factor that the VP stuff has. I guess I'll be OK.

So, onto my question.

I'd be happy running a bushing out there like everyone else is doing, but has anyone found a suitable lasting bearing for there? Or is it that no matter how good a 5x8 bearing you buy, it's just not robust enough to hold up to the stress there?

I saw the Vanquish mounts let you run a 5x10 but you also needed their axle top and right now that's an expensive proposition for me.
ik632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2012, 03:07 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Top Link Mount 5x8 Bearing

Im rebuilding mine now an plan to just use the traxxas bushings there. Id be interested to see if some others have found a more robust bearing that will last.
frdtrkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 03:31 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

x2 on the traxxas bushings...we have all of the VP parts in stock...in BLACK
ittybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 04:15 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ittybitty View Post
x2 on the traxxas bushings...we have all of the VP parts in stock...in BLACK
I found lots of black parts but not many orange

I actually did check out your store and it's got a great selection. You look like the only person that carries the Gear Science grease that I plan to use. I'll need to order some more stuff when I order the gel.

So, back on topic, can you use that Gear Science gel on the bushings too?
Old 01-23-2012, 12:02 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

i just put bushings in mine, i was reading where some guys were saying that there was some fridtion issues and had to run a couple packs through them to loosen them up, i used lithium grease and its silky smooth can't beat it for the price
srt6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:06 AM   #6
TSK
Shelf queen

Traxxas bushings. And submerge them in bearing oil or wd-40 for a day before install.

And since they come in a 12 pack, be sure to replace them when they start showing any bit of slop.

Last edited by TSK; 01-23-2012 at 11:28 AM.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 07:27 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSCorpionKing View Post
Traxxas bushings. And submerge them in bearing oil or wd-40 for a day before install.

And since they come in a 12 pack, be sure to replace them when they start showing the any bit of slop.
I have some motor man bearing oil for motor bearings. Is that what you're talking about?
Old 01-23-2012, 07:30 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

That'll work. They'll soak up a little lube since the metal is porous.

If you need orange parts let me know...they're only a few days away
ittybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:13 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Just wanted to see how many others have had the luck i've had with the VP bushings.Last June,right before A.W.C.C. i got my hands on the parts that would hopefully end my XR gear breaking blues.

Already had VP motor plates and gear housings,and RC4WD gears.I purchased a front VP upper case half that includes the 5x10 bearing.Also purchased VP bushing kit just for the tiny 5x8 bushing for my rear axle.I was un-aware of the traxxas bushings working at the time.

I honestly hav'nt taken these axles apart since last June,simply because i hav'nt had one pop,crack,grind,nothing out of these axles.These things have seen so many insane binds that just had me cringing,ducking for cover waiting for the parts to scatter.My philosophy usually is ''if its not broken,dont fix it'' but i know these bushings do wear,and i should replace it. I guess what im asking is,are the Traxxas bushings holding up?How often are you having to change them? I also never soaked my VP bushings in anything to pre lube them.

My goal is to see if i can get a solid year out of these things,so far so good,but if that bushing wears and takes out the gears,that would be lack of preventative maintenance on my part.
J-FAB NOR-CAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:50 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Been on traxxas bushings for over a year.
articzap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:27 AM   #11
TSK
Shelf queen

A bushing is a just a bushing. But a Newton is fruit and cake
Old 01-23-2012, 12:49 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
A bushing is a just a bushing. But a Newton is fruit and cake
i hear you on that one, i was going to do the vp bushing until i saw the price, hell i could do oversize bearings for the price of their bushings, $3 for a pack of traxxas bushings is good enough for me
Old 01-23-2012, 02:08 PM   #13
TSK
Shelf queen

The VP bushing kit is expensive because they include flanged bushings for the motor plate which are impossible to find on the cheap.

The traxxas bushings are unflanged and will work in the top link mouont and a stock gear case.

Last edited by TSK; 01-23-2012 at 02:11 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:15 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

I heard you just ca glue the traxxas bushings in to the motor plate since they arent flanged. Is that right?
Krawler23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:41 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawler23 View Post
I heard you just ca glue the traxxas bushings in to the motor plate since they arent flanged. Is that right?
yeah thats what i did, just lay the motor plate on a flat surface put your bushings in and a drop of ca at the top and bottom of each bushing
Old 01-23-2012, 04:35 PM   #16
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawler23 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by srt6 View Post
yeah thats what i did, just lay the motor plate on a flat surface put your bushings in and a drop of ca at the top and bottom of each bushing
Wow. Talk about sketchy.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:46 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-FAB NOR-CAL View Post
Just wanted to see how many others have had the luck i've had with the VP bushings.Last June,right before A.W.C.C. i got my hands on the parts that would hopefully end my XR gear breaking blues.

Already had VP motor plates and gear housings,and RC4WD gears.I purchased a front VP upper case half that includes the 5x10 bearing.Also purchased VP bushing kit just for the tiny 5x8 bushing for my rear axle.I was un-aware of the traxxas bushings working at the time.

I honestly hav'nt taken these axles apart since last June,simply because i hav'nt had one pop,crack,grind,nothing out of these axles.These things have seen so many insane binds that just had me cringing,ducking for cover waiting for the parts to scatter.My philosophy usually is ''if its not broken,dont fix it'' but i know these bushings do wear,and i should replace it. I guess what im asking is,are the Traxxas bushings holding up?How often are you having to change them? I also never soaked my VP bushings in anything to pre lube them.

My goal is to see if i can get a solid year out of these things,so far so good,but if that bushing wears and takes out the gears,that would be lack of preventative maintenance on my part.
Told ya people use them They have been working great for long time for me. You had me scared for a minute.
stubs179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 04:53 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Wow. Talk about sketchy.
havn't had any problems yet, the bushing fits tight the glue is just to keep it in place from moving side to side, since there is no side loading there shouldn't be an issue
Old 01-23-2012, 05:07 PM   #19
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by srt6 View Post
havn't had any problems yet, the bushing fits tight the glue is just to keep it in place from moving side to side, since there is no side loading there shouldn't be an issue
The lack of side loading may hold true. but i'm just not comfortable trusting that setup myself.

Last edited by TSK; 01-23-2012 at 08:51 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:51 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

many ppl used this and it works good. i think it will be fine.
Krawler23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Top Link Mount 5x8 Bearing - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Broken Top Link Mount 69CrazyHorse RC4WD Bully 3 08-19-2009 10:51 PM
top link mount for the NN? mooogoesdacow Tamiya Clod Buster 6 12-06-2005 01:59 PM
Top link mount? Cake Eater Tamiya TLT Crawlers 2 05-02-2005 05:48 PM
Top link mount on a clod? Flatty Tamiya Clod Buster 1 07-14-2004 10:31 PM