Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: Schock-Setup - why run internal springs, or no springs?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2012, 08:55 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Schock-Setup - why run internal springs, or no springs?

Hi,

I have looked through the forum and apperantly some are running thei shocks with internal springs from RC4WD.

What is the reason for that and wouldn't be the shaft exposed to probable damage since it's no longer protected by the external spring?

I have even seen in the axial section guys that run no springs at all on a tuber chassis, how is that supposed to work???
Turbo-s is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2012, 09:05 AM   #2

Default Re: Schock-Setup - why run internal springs, or no springs?

Internal spring shocks work well for scale appearance.

Damage to the shaft? Shock shafts aren't really a place that catches a lot of damage. Even if the shaft gets scratched up or rusted, it's pretty much like a 1:1 shock... The shaft itself doesn't matter much, it's the internal wiper or o-ring that does all the dampening work. Basically the top of the never exposed shaft and the internal surface of the shock tube is what do the dampening and remain protected.

No springs at all?.... Hmmmm... Possibly they have internal spring shocks, or they are just relying on a really good oil filled shock and tuning their suspension soley by different weights of oil in their shock bodies.
THX_138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:10 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Hi, hmm scale looks? I saw a cople of rigs with internal springs, must be more to it becausea a moon buggy isnt really scale... hmm???
Turbo-s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:16 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Most 2.2 comp rigs run external springs for ease of adjustment. If you run internal springs you'd have to tear your shocks down and replace the springs then re-bleed them and install back on your truck. There are a lot of options for spring rates using external springs so that's what most guys run. You will see some people that run internal limiters and some with external limiters, and some with both. All of this is just another way to tune your shocks to suit your driving style. I don't believe I've seen any 2.2 comp rigs running without springs...there'd be no way to control how your truck reacts to changes in terrain.

Most of what you see on a 2.2 comp rig is done to suit a driving style or certain type of terrain. These adjustments can only be made once you drive your truck and see what changes are necessary.

Just FYI...you can start one thread and ask multiple questions
ittybitty is offline   Reply With Quote

Schock-Setup - why run internal springs, or no springs? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Internal Springs, where to get them losikid General Crawlers 14 11-04-2010 11:40 AM
Internal Shock Springs and setup questions zjguy721 Newbie General 2 03-28-2010 09:08 AM
Internal springs? Sneaux707 Newbie General 1 02-12-2010 05:48 PM
Internal springs rockerrc Newbie General 2 06-26-2009 09:03 AM