Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: Aluminum hardware.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2012, 11:09 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Aluminum hardware.

I am trying to figure out what aluminum hardware to order to replace all the hardware on the front and rear axles with aluminum. I took my list from the XR manual. It calls for alot of the self tapping screws meant for plastic. I am not having any luck sourcing those from fastner express or any other online vendor in fact. Are you guys just replacing them with regular M3 screws of the same length?

Part of my difficulty is not having the XR axles in hand yet. The axles and chassis along with most of my build is in the mail. I have been running a bully for over a year and finally decided to switch over to the XR. Any help would be apprecieated. If the guys who have already done this have a list of hardware and quantity to order that would be awesome. Thanks.

Ted
TedBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2012, 11:27 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Aluminum hardware.

I just ordered up all the hardware to do everything on my XR...Everywhere I felt aluminum would be weak I went Ti. Since they all came in packs of 50 it was about $150+....

Id try sourcing somewhere that might sell individuals if your looking to save a buck.

I got the standard M3...The fine threads should be stronger than a plastic tap thread...
nonstopboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:39 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Hey Ted,
Just look at your axles and for the front since you have the vp axle housing I'm pretty sure that the only self tapping screws you will need are for the chubs on the bottom.
KnoJa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:48 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I haven't got the axles yet, but that makes good sense. I was just thinking that the tapping screws might be worth it to keep everything tighter.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:28 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

so, do you have the vp toppers or not? if you do. follow knoja's post.. if not, yes. the plastic stuff needs the tapping screws. you need the deep thread depth when your going in plastic. and even then it kinda sucks. machine screws in plastic wont last long. or you can do what i did and replace everything with the brass inserts. that would make everything in and out in your plastic housing adapt to machine thread 3mm. just a fyi though, i had about 5-7 of the inserts pop out over time (out of the 24ish total?) its still far better than the straight plastic imo. dap of ca on each side of the insert, press it in and thread a screw in it atleast 5 turns. and let it sit for a bit. they are actually pretty damn strong when you think about the stress your putting on it and clamping something to it

Last edited by norcrawler; 05-08-2012 at 12:30 AM.
norcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 04:00 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

You can buy plastic axles with the brass incerts from CKRC. I just put mine on and they work great. They come with the machine screws you need.
eulerk427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 04:38 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Don't forget that most counter sunk screws can be traded out for button heads. That'll probably save you some $$$ at the checkout if you just go for one style of screw.
eisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:07 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by eisman View Post
Don't forget that most counter sunk screws can be traded out for button heads. That'll probably save you some $$$ at the checkout if you just go for one style of screw.
That is good to know. Thank you.

As for brass inserts I would rather not, trying to keep weight down. I would like to find self tapping aluminum screws, but I can't seem to find them.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:12 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Just use a machine thread Al screw in place of the self tapping screw. They hold just fine.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:24 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by eisman View Post
Just use a machine thread Al screw in place of the self tapping screw. They hold just fine.
Ok, thanks. I figured that is what most guys were doing. Just needed that confirmation.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:40 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

hey Ted,
Those brass inserts don't weigh that much. you would only need 4 maybe 5 inserts to do a whole case. plus it gives you that added security. I can get a weight for you when i take lunch today.

If you want, i have a shit ton of them still.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:50 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoJa View Post
hey Ted,
Those brass inserts don't weigh that much. you would only need 4 maybe 5 inserts to do a whole case. plus it gives you that added security. I can get a weight for you when i take lunch today.

If you want, i have a shit ton of them still.
Sounds good Jamie. I will be ordering all machine screws anyways so dont use up your lunch break to find the weight, I can get that from you later.

Where are you guys ordering your aluminum balls for rod ends? I will be using revo ends im sure.

Last edited by TedBull; 05-08-2012 at 09:05 AM.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:12 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcrawler View Post
so, do you have the vp toppers or not? if you do. follow knoja's post.. if not, yes. the plastic stuff needs the tapping screws. you need the deep thread depth when your going in plastic. and even then it kinda sucks. machine screws in plastic wont last long. or you can do what i did and replace everything with the brass inserts. that would make everything in and out in your plastic housing adapt to machine thread 3mm. just a fyi though, i had about 5-7 of the inserts pop out over time (out of the 24ish total?) its still far better than the straight plastic imo. dap of ca on each side of the insert, press it in and thread a screw in it atleast 5 turns. and let it sit for a bit. they are actually pretty damn strong when you think about the stress your putting on it and clamping something to it
I thought Harleys thread stock axcles were good except for extreme use? Do they come apart at the screws easily?
Mysterious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:53 AM   #14
RCC Addict

I'm not a big fan of aluminum hardware seeing how they snap so easily in TC. If I'm going to stress things I want good old fashioned high strength steel hardware. The weight difference isn't worth a DNF and a difficult on site repair.

Seriously, you have a rig that is between 5 to 8 pounds and trying to save what, 20 grams (2/3oz) at the most. However, colored aluminum screws sure does look nice.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:18 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEDBULL View Post

Where are you guys ordering your aluminum balls for rod ends? I will be using revo ends im sure.

Amain or tower has them, as I'm sure other vendors as well. Just look for revo hop ups
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:21 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEDBULL View Post
Here you go Ted...
Traxxas Revo Hollow ball set, aluminum Revo (30)/ tall centered hollow ball (2)/ tall offset hol [TRA5355X] | RC Cars & Trucks - A Main Hobbies

Last edited by Infectious rc; 05-08-2012 at 11:28 AM.
Infectious rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:32 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
Amain or tower has them, as I'm sure other vendors as well. Just look for revo hop ups
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreCee View Post
I'm not a big fan of aluminum hardware seeing how they snap so easily in TC. If I'm going to stress things I want good old fashioned high strength steel hardware. The weight difference isn't worth a DNF and a difficult on site repair.

Seriously, you have a rig that is between 5 to 8 pounds and trying to save what, 20 grams (2/3oz) at the most. However, colored aluminum screws sure does look nice.
My truck should weigh in around 4 pounds when complete. The longer hardware will be titanium. I will post up with weight difference in a couple weeks.

Thanks buddy.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:29 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

So the rear case by itself (no screws or other hardware) is 1.40oz. With brass inserts it's 1.44+/-. So your looking at saving .05oz. The pro's out weigh the con's for me on this.

I ha e as yet popped a rear gear since doing this mod.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:34 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Question Re: Aluminum hardware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreCee View Post

The VP Aluminum axles halves break??? Really?
Mysterious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:36 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysterious View Post
The VP Aluminum axles halves break??? Really?
They are talking about screws, not VP parts.

Aluminum hardware. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Aluminum Hardware interest? Chris_The_Battery_Man General Crawlers 19 04-23-2012 02:41 PM
Aluminum Hardware Metric fa1rch1ld Tools and supplies 2 08-06-2011 07:17 PM
Aluminum hardware Beerman Crawler General Crawlers 2 04-08-2011 04:20 PM