Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: Sheepdawgs "switch" to a new chassis

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2012, 12:26 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Sheepdawgs "switch" to a new chassis

Chaotic switch chassis
Chaotic links and steering rod
Rc4wd gears f&r
Vanquish chubs
Knucks
F&R upper link mounts
Knucle weights
Motor plates
Trans housings
Servo armor
V5 wheels raw
460 hubs font
600 hubs rear
3 1/2" bigbores with cap mod & jeepindoug retainers
14t pinions front and rear
Hitec 7950
2 x's tekin fxr
2 x's tekin 35t pro handwound motors
Futaba 4pl

Right off the bat, I see the electronics are gonna need to be put on a serious diet. Wanted to weigh everything before I got started. So here ya go for anyone who wants to know.

0thread%20for%20R
CC/113342bf.jpg[/IMG]

Sorry for blurry pics, camera wont accept sd card and laptop is virused. This had to be done all with my phone and ipad.

10a castle bec

Last edited by Sheepdawg23wm; 07-19-2012 at 03:54 PM.
Sheepdawg23wm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2012, 12:34 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Sheepdawgs "switch" to a new chassis

Shrinking the fxrs wasnt too bad, but i tore the on/off switch off the esc in the pic by accident. Took the patience of Jobe to get that fixed.

Will post up more later but thats what I have for now
Old 07-18-2012, 04:40 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Front axle is ready to go. Also wanted to post a pic of something I found at harbor frieght that made shaving the boss claws alot easier. Not even sure what its used for originall but doesnt matter, worked great for what I needed it for. I inserted it (flat side down) toward the side I wanted to shave and held it in place with some old foam. Im using a dremel to shave the bc's and this really helped as a hand guide

Old 07-18-2012, 06:02 PM   #4
Its a HARDKNOCKZ Life...

That LOOKS like a backing pad for a polisher. Similar to an angle grinder wheel.

Gotta nice stack-o-parts. Chassis works VERY well & I doubt you'll be disappointed in it.

J.D.
HARDKNOCKZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:31 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Once you get the chassis dialed your gonna absolutely love it!!! It just flat out works!!! I had my second comp with it this past weekend and got my first pro win and had almost a perfect run, only one gate and that was cause it was unpassable!!! Noone made that gate all day!!!
mammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:49 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARDKNOCKZ View Post
That LOOKS like a backing pad for a polisher. Similar to an angle grinder wheel.

Gotta nice stack-o-parts. Chassis works VERY well & I doubt you'll be disappointed in it.

J.D.
Im sure I will love it. Your switch build thread and Paystins got me wanting to get started on this bad boy.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:52 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammoth View Post
Once you get the chassis dialed your gonna absolutely love it!!! It just flat out works!!! I had my second comp with it this past weekend and got my first pro win and had almost a perfect run, only one gate and that was cause it was unpassable!!! Noone made that gate all day!!!
Congrats on the win. Im sure you are pretty stoked for next comp now. My season doesnt start till end of October but I will be ready. You know what they say, early bird gets the worm.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:57 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Progress updates, here she sits right now. Moving on this as fast as possible. Ready to drive this sucker.

Thats about as small as im gonna get 2 fxr's and a bec. Tested it all out with a series of jumper wires and all is working as it should. Now for the home stretch
Old 07-18-2012, 08:04 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Good progress so far! Glad to see you making the switch...

Looking forward to competing against the new rig
jeepman128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:07 PM   #10
RCC Addict

I'm looking forward to seeing this done. It looks like you have a great start to things.

Let us know if you have any setup questions along the way.
paystin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:48 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepman128 View Post
Good progress so far! Glad to see you making the switch...

Looking forward to competing against the new rig
Thanks Colby, looking to competing with it. Had a blast last year and chomping at the bit to get this year started.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:49 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by paystin View Post
I'm looking forward to seeing this done. It looks like you have a great start to things.

Let us know if you have any setup questions along the way.
Thanks alot and will do. I have quite the paint scheme in mind. Working hard and fast to get done.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:44 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

All wired up and working great. Now time to mount up some tires. Should be driving by tomorrow. I see some test and tune in my future for this weekend.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:03 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

All wrapped up and ready for new 2012 season. Testing it out tomorrow. Final weight ready to run is 5 lbs even. YEE HAW. I'll get better pics tomorrow, I'm done for one day.

Old 07-19-2012, 07:54 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Like the "general lee" paint scheme.

What's the ride height with the shock cap mod on the big bores?
paystin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 10:38 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by paystin View Post
Like the "general lee" paint scheme.

What's the ride height with the shock cap mod on the big bores?
Ride is height is sitting at 3" front of skid and 3.25" at the rear. Using the 3.5" big bores part #2660. No limiting anywhere as of right now. I also have some stock scx shocks that I will try out but man are these big bores feeling smooth.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:54 AM   #17
Its a HARDKNOCKZ Life...

Quote:
NICE! Congrats man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdawg23wm View Post
Im sure I will love it. Your switch build thread and Paystins got me wanting to get started on this bad boy.
Dont pay much attention to that Paystin guy...he's kinda light in the loafers if ya get my drift.

Looks good man. Diggin the General Lee theme.

You may find that pinks all the way around are too stiff of a spring...ESPECIALLY at 5lbs.

Speakin of...how'd ya get so low running all of the VP swag? I mighta missed some mods but all that swag adds up. Im still up around 5.15lbs & have ditched a BUNCHA stuff & have more to do...so Im curious what I may have missed.

J.D.

Last edited by HARDKNOCKZ; 07-19-2012 at 10:56 AM.
HARDKNOCKZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:31 PM   #18
RCC Addict

I have all the same vp swag he has and am at 5.1lbs and the only thing I really did to save weight was smash my electronics and reduce the amount of knuckle weight I was using, o and I am using a 7980 which would add a little. I hear ya thou as I see some builds and they have pretty much all the same parts yet they are over 1/2lb or more lighter. I think it may be that some scales do not weigh true is the only thing I can think of.
mammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:44 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARDKNOCKZ View Post
NICE! Congrats man.

Dont pay much attention to that Paystin guy...he's kinda light in the loafers if ya get my drift.

Looks good man. Diggin the General Lee theme.

You may find that pinks all the way around are too stiff of a spring...ESPECIALLY at 5lbs.

Speakin of...how'd ya get so low running all of the VP swag? I mighta missed some mods but all that swag adds up. Im still up around 5.15lbs & have ditched a BUNCHA stuff & have more to do...so Im curious what I may have missed.

J.D.
doubt you missed anything, i just weighed the initial chassis and stuff but after that I wasnt totally weight conscience. I just threw her together fast as possible. not sure if you are running any rear lockout weight but im not, and using stock plastic lockouts. plus im using a $25 harbor frieght special for a scale, so im not going to put alot of faith in its accuracy.

Quote:
I have all the same vp swag he has and am at 5.1lbs and the only thing I really did to save weight was smash my electronics and reduce the amount of knuckle weight I was using, o and I am using a 7980 which would add a little. I hear ya thou as I see some builds and they have pretty much all the same parts yet they are over 1/2lb or more lighter. I think it may be that some scales do not weigh true is the only thing I can think of.
4.5 lb truck is pretty light, and sure dont know how they are getting there using same parts list but i do know the rc4wd gears weight a ton and could be drilled out to lighten them quite a bit. seems to me your truck and mine are about identical and running it earlier for just a few minutes on the small rock pile by my house leads me to believe that im really gonna like this truck.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:56 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Glad to see this going Nick....I just finished the rebuild on mine too. We will have a GTG before Oct for sure but be ready for a tough fall season....pressure is on for sure
bquin is offline   Reply With Quote

Sheepdawgs "switch" to a new chassis - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
...Chaotic Switch........ "The Wicked Tuna" Chaotic Crawlers Axial XR10 165 03-29-2013 05:54 PM
Keep the BWD chassis or make the " Switch" Subytuner Axial XR10 8 07-12-2012 10:00 PM
MRC "motor noise" and L-trail chassis "drive shaft" joeel Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 6 03-04-2010 04:38 PM