Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: What's the latest dig opinion??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2012, 10:09 PM   #1

Default What's the latest dig opinion??

I've just received a new, partially built XR10 from a friend going through a divorce. He had gotten a funky dig switch thingy from Dan @ Finishline. (it's got two switches mounted on plastic that are actuated by a micro servo). I would consider using it if I had some instructions.... Or...

Most of what I've seen and searched for advice on 3ch systems is pretty old. And I would like a fresh take on what is working for you guys. I've got a DX3R or a DX3E to choose from for a radio. Two 55T Holmes Hobbies motors. and a Tekin FX-R pro ESC, as well as the aforementioned dig thing. I've got tons of other add-ons to tweek and finish the thing but would like some advice from folks who have actually tried different dig controllers locally.(Colorado)

I have no interest in buying another radio to run dual esc's. nor do I have many intentions in competing seriously. I've competed in the past way back in the day with my AX-10 and once when I got my Losi comp. I'm not a noob here but I've been out of the loop for a bit building a KOH buggy.

Any help would be appreciated and I'll try not to be a stranger around these parts. I've got 4 of these damn things now, plus two of the stupid Losi micro crawlers!!
Posterchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2012, 10:38 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: What's the latest dig opinion??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posterchild View Post
I've just received a new, partially built XR10 from a friend going through a divorce. He had gotten a funky dig switch thingy from Dan @ Finishline. (it's got two switches mounted on plastic that are actuated by a micro servo). I would consider using it if I had some instructions.... Or...

Most of what I've seen and searched for advice on 3ch systems is pretty old. And I would like a fresh take on what is working for you guys. I've got a DX3R or a DX3E to choose from for a radio. Two 55T Holmes Hobbies motors. and a Tekin FX-R pro ESC, as well as the aforementioned dig thing. I've got tons of other add-ons to tweek and finish the thing but would like some advice from folks who have actually tried different dig controllers locally.(Colorado)

I have no interest in buying another radio to run dual esc's. nor do I have many intentions in competing seriously. I've competed in the past way back in the day with my AX-10 and once when I got my Losi comp. I'm not a noob here but I've been out of the loop for a bit building a KOH buggy.

Any help would be appreciated and I'll try not to be a stranger around these parts. I've got 4 of these damn things now, plus two of the stupid Losi micro crawlers!!
Is ther any wires still attached to the switches ? It will work built and used one myself , but punk dig seems to be the popular choice for 3 ch ! Post a pic of the thing you have and ill post a diag for it
sidehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:13 PM   #3
RCC Addict

I run a punk with a single FXR and it works fine. A buddy of mine ran the mechanical dig you are talking about and that worked fine also. Both will need a 3 position aux switch for full use. I am running a radio with a 2 position switch so I can only lock out my rear as of right now.
AddictedtoRC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 03:21 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I ran an fxr as well as a Brxl with a punk dig. Honestly, I loved it.

I would tell you to saw money and get a radio with mixing and run dual esc.

It took me an hour to get used to it and actually use it kind of effectively, but wow I love it

If it is 1 esc only, then get a punk dig!!!
pitcher2103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 05:35 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Do a search for "servo dig" in the electrical forum, likely lots of diagrams there.

I started crawling with a CC Mamba Max and servo dig on a 2.2 Bully. It worked OK on a Futaba 3PM-x.

Later, I went to a WantAmix adapter and dual Mamba Max's, way better. I would look to see if the WantAmix works on your Spektrum (it works with some) and then get a 2nd FX-R.
You then get front & rear dig as well as proportional.

As to other dig units, I heard issues with service for Punk Digs, so some searching in the electrical forum may yield some opinions.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:33 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I had a dx3r with punk dig and fxr combo and it was good, eventually went the dual fxr and wantamix adapter and it was a lot better, best has been dual sidewinder micros and futaba 4pl. The change in performance from the dig to the dual esc adapter was big and really easy to get use to but had a few small quirks that annoyed me in comps so I went to the 4pl and micros and it performs the same as with the adapter but a little more intuitive when making adjustments on the fly.

If I knew for a fact I wouldn't be comping very much Id go punk dig, easy to use and nearly idiot proof. If you could possibly catch that comp itch then get the wantamix
gerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidehill View Post
Is ther any wires still attached to the switches ? It will work built and used one myself , but punk dig seems to be the popular choice for 3 ch ! Post a pic of the thing you have and ill post a diag for it
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Here are a couple snapshots of the switch. I hope I can get some help wiring this thing. In the future I'll most likely go with the Punk Dig. It seems to be the most popular. (For now) I'll look into getting a 4ch radio down the road. This is probably pretty much overkill for what I want out of it, but i figure I can work on building my scaler a little more crazy now that ive got this.
Old 08-18-2012, 12:59 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

K lemme look at my old setup and ill post up !
Old 08-22-2012, 10:21 PM   #9

Any luck with those schematics?
Old 08-23-2012, 02:33 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

From the pics you posted, the short red/black wires on dig goto the esc and the long wires from each switch goto each motor. Plug dig servo into the 3rd channel of rx and trim to neutral. I believe that the DX3R has a 3 position 3rd channel, so you will have front dig/4wd/rear dig.
Zapped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:57 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapped View Post
From the pics you posted, the short red/black wires on dig goto the esc and the long wires from each switch goto each motor. Plug dig servo into the 3rd channel of rx and trim to neutral. I believe that the DX3R has a 3 position 3rd channel, so you will have front dig/4wd/rear dig.
You're correct the dx3r does have a 3 position. I ran my Losi Comp off it just fine.
Thanks for the help on the wiring, I'll mock it all up and test it before final soldering. From looking around on the forum, It appears I should immediately upgrade the upper links for sure and the lowers would be a good idea as well. Does that sound about accurate?
I'm finishing a car right now for a car show on sunday, and after that I can devote some more time to 10th scale
Old 08-24-2012, 11:51 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

I haven't actually used the stock XR10 chassis so I can't help you there. I'm currently building a XR10 using a Y-town Secret chassis. I sold my 4PK a while back, so I'm gonna try using my trusty M8 with a wantamix and dual fxr's. Proportional 3rd channel should be a nice feature with the wantamix.
Zapped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:09 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
From looking around on the forum, It appears I should immediately upgrade the upper links for sure and the lowers would be a good idea as well. Does that sound about accurate?
In binds, yes, you WILL start to twist the stock plastic upper links. You can run stock for now, just be thinking about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapped View Post
I sold my 4PK a while back, so I'm gonna try using my trusty M8 with a wantamix and dual fxr's. Proportional 3rd channel should be a nice feature with the wantamix.
I run a Futaba 3PM-x & a WantAmix on my 2.2 Bully, yes, it works well. You will like it.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:23 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Any luck with those schematics?
Sorry been working my a$$ off but zapped is correct !!

What's the latest dig opinion?? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
my opinion on new school rocker dig rccrawler66 RC4WD Bully 3 12-21-2010 12:50 PM
Opinion on dig moabax EnRoute Berg 44 03-11-2009 11:37 AM
Need your opinion: RC4WD R2 Dig J O N Axial AX-10 Scorpion 2 02-12-2009 09:42 AM
DIG Opinion Mini Axial AX-10 Scorpion 60 02-03-2009 09:18 AM
Post Your Opinion About Dig!!!! Yes/no JIA's Dad Chit Chat 23 03-27-2007 01:37 PM