Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: Got me an XR10....and have questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2012, 03:32 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Got me an XR10....and have questions.

So I was at my LHS looking at crawlers and I've been eyeballing the XR10 for a while. The owner gave me a price I couldn't refuse... XR10 kit, Novak M2 dig, 2x 55t lathe motors, and 2.2 rovers for $550. Well I thought it was a good deal

Anyway I have just finished putting the kit together and have a few questions.

1: will removing the bump stops be a bad thing onthe kit?

2: my lower links seem to have a bit of play in the centre skid... It's not much but is this normal?

3:I need to buy a radio, without going too extreme of the 4pk.... Are there any cheaper radios that will allow me to get full dig functionality and the front/rear proportional? (I think thats the word)

4: I've seen xr10s with the shocks mounted upside down... What does this do?

Sorry for the list but I'm new to 2.2 and MOA.. So I'm slowly picking up the knowledge pieces!

Cheers!
Abrown83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2012, 06:21 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Got me an XR10....and have questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrown83 View Post
So I was at my LHS looking at crawlers and I've been eyeballing the XR10 for a while. The owner gave me a price I couldn't refuse... XR10 kit, Novak M2 dig, 2x 55t lathe motors, and 2.2 rovers for $550. Well I thought it was a good deal

Anyway I have just finished putting the kit together and have a few questions.

1: will removing the bump stops be a bad thing onthe kit?

2: my lower links seem to have a bit of play in the centre skid... It's not much but is this normal?

3:I need to buy a radio, without going too extreme of the 4pk.... Are there any cheaper radios that will allow me to get full dig functionality and the front/rear proportional? (I think thats the word)

4: I've seen xr10s with the shocks mounted upside down... What does this do?

Sorry for the list but I'm new to 2.2 and MOA.. So I'm slowly picking up the knowledge pieces!

Cheers!
Welcome to the XR world.

1. It will increase the travel and may cause an issue with the bladder being compressed and may result in too much articulation which can get the chassis all twisted up.

2. There is a bit of play using the stock ball ends. Replacing them with RPM ball ends should remove some play.

3. You bought a Novak M2 which was designed to work with a Spektrum DX3R but any radio with a 3 position third channel will work. The Futaba 4PK/4PL radios are great to use with TWO ESCs (Dual ESC). The problem with the M2 is that you will only have marginal proportional control of the rear motor. The front and rear dig works and Novak has improved the ESC to have better drag brakes and to work better with the Castle BEC which you will need if you go with a 3 cell Lipo.

4. Some people feel that mounting the shocks upside down lowers the CG (center of gravity) and others say it provides a little more clearence for the front wheels. It was a popular mod for some time but effectively doesn't do much.

You should read through Harley's Guide at the top of this this thread, it is full of useful info.

I have been using my XR for nearly a year now and it hardly resembles the original one. Mine has the BJ4 chassis, RC4WD gears, Axial HD Motor plates, VP trans cases, VP CHubs and Knuckles, Chaotic Ti links and tie rod, Roddy battery holder, VP SLW wheels and Losi Boss Claws with CI dual stage foams, 2 FXR ESCs, CC BEC, Futaba 4PL with a 2106GF RX and 2 Holmes Torquemaster 35T motors. I use Nano-Tech 350mah 3S batteries (good for a course and a half). Weight is 5 pounds 4 ounces.

Our club is almost all XRs now, we used to be almost all RC4WD Bullies but the lighterweight XRs just work better. I came in second in our series.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:45 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

That is a great help thanks!

I'll be sure to check out that guide too!

I do plan to run 2 fxr's but I do need to stick with a budget for now and I thought $90 for an m2 would get me crawling at least. Do you know if the airtronics mt-4 will work dual motors properly?
Old 08-18-2012, 11:17 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Dual motors don't matter. If your esc/s can handle the motor/s then good. The radio controls the esc's or esc which is where your current focus should be. I have not used that radio so I dot know, but research through this forum about esc and motors. The more you learn the easier it is to understand
pitcher2103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 12:19 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Just get a LOSIKID hacked GT3B or GT3C radio and reciever and youll be good for up to 8channels with the same tx.. The m2 works fine for starting out and learning to drive etc.. You can program the esc a few way for better drag brake and throttle control.. It will be good until you get into topend competitions etc.. Just my 2cs
gtxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 04:27 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

My whole setup was done on a mild budget, hence why I got the m2 and lathe motors. Once I get better at crawling I will be upgrading.

I think I'll just look for a 4pl... At least it's something I can have for a while. I can't justify the 4pk price for my rc needs yet.

Can someone tell me if crawler wheels need to be vented?
Old 08-18-2012, 04:43 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrown83 View Post
My whole setup was done on a mild budget, hence why I got the m2 and lathe motors. Once I get better at crawling I will be upgrading.

I think I'll just look for a 4pl... At least it's something I can have for a while. I can't justify the 4pk price for my rc needs yet.

Can someone tell me if crawler wheels need to be vented?
Vent the tires, it prevents bouncing.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 05:03 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreCee View Post
Vent the tires, it prevents bouncing.
Ok so now I'll sounds like a real noob but what's the process to vent tires?

I've only vented wheels.
Old 08-18-2012, 05:08 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Search button works

Simply cut a couple small holes in the top of each tire about 1/8 inch round. Just use some lexan scissors or some sharp scissors u have and cut down not across so you don't take out too much rubber.
pitcher2103 is offline   Reply With Quote

Got me an XR10....and have questions. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Want a xr10, questions CRAIGB Axial XR10 23 02-25-2015 10:09 AM
questions about a xr10 kit 4everyoung Axial XR10 6 01-30-2012 11:37 PM
XR10 Questions jebs Axial XR10 1 03-28-2011 01:29 PM
XR10 electronic component questions E-Man Axial XR10 11 09-06-2010 12:10 AM
Questions about XR10? Sylvain Axial XR10 7 08-11-2010 11:22 AM