Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: Nuts are very tight fitting in axle slot, force or dremel shave?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2013, 08:22 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Nuts are very tight fitting in axle slot, force or dremel shave?

I'm not sure I'm the only one that has encountered this, I'm guessing not, but if you look at the Center of the attached picture, on my VP axle halves the two little recessed holes where the nuts go are incredibly tight. The stock axle halves are a tad wider and the nuts drop in very easily. I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on whether I was better to force the nut into the slot, or whether I should take a Dremmel or metal file and try to shave down one side of the not so it drops in easier. You can see the scrapes on one of the holes from me trying to press the nut in. I'd force it in but my thought is maybe if I put it in and it eventually strips that I have a bitch of the time getting it out. Did anyone else encounter this and what did you do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mysterious is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2013, 08:35 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Nuts are very tight fitting in axle slot, force or dremel shave?

Mine were tight as well. All I did was screw into the nut and let the nut be pulled into the opening. I was able to remove the nut later with no issues once I split the axle halfs, it just tapped out with little help.
mammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:36 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Mine were a little tight when I built them. I just lined the nuts up as best as possible and allowed the screws to pull them down into the seat. If you feel they are still to tight, I would recommend filing down the nut as opposed to the VP housing.
Got_Demo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:23 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the replies
Old 01-16-2013, 12:31 AM   #5
Gold Star Baby!

Ok...... seriously??? Im the first jackass to go there?

Fine

This is why perfer boxers over breifs. My nuts are never tight. It cause low sperm count. From what I hear.
redrokin00XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:02 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Red's got loose saggy balls? Thats what im hearing. Haha.

The nuta are a tight fit because the anodizing adds a little extra material to the raw cut axle topper making that hole just a little smaller than normal.
Curcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:06 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Hi again, I am putting in the screws through the axle but this one in the picture as shown that is not in yet for some reason does not seem to want to screw in very easily. There's actually quite a bit of resistance trying to get it to go through and into the VP transmission housing. The other ones seem to go through quite smoothly and have no resistance. I'm a little bit leery about screwing it in if there is resistance out of worry of stripping the threads in the housing. Does anyone have any ideas about why there might be resistance? I did not see any burring on the threads of the screw I was trying to put in nor did I see any loose material come up as if I had stripped any threads. But it seems odd that there is this much resistance, it seems fairly significant like I have to put a good deal of force to turn the screw and it seems to increase with each turn. Any suggestions?

Old 01-17-2013, 06:54 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Not enough room for nuts? You need these:

Duluth Trading Ad: Ballroom® Jeans - Room to Crouch without Singing Soprano - YouTube

Last edited by ik632; 01-17-2013 at 07:00 AM.
ik632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:55 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Okay enough with the testicle jokes already. My previous post to this one was actually a serious question

Old 01-17-2013, 07:01 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Sorry, had to post that. Anyway, you can take a small drill and clearance the hole for the thread to get rid of the anodizing. For the head where the countersink seats if you have a countersink bit you can clean it out there or take the screw to a sander and reduce the diameter of the head slightly (easiest is to use a belt sander and chock the screw up in a drill and rotate it against the sander).
ik632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:03 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

I would take the transmission off and see if the screw will go through the axle, if so start that screw into the trans first and then start the rest.
Don't tighten any of them up until all of them are started into the trans.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747
Twisted Nuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:09 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Ok, thanks for the replies. I'll give that a try. Maybe even backing off the others might give it a bit of looseness... the one above it was tight the first 2 tries then screwed in super smooth. Wierd.

And guys, if we're going to do nut jokes you gotta post this. ROFL

I like big balls - YouTube
Old 01-17-2013, 07:50 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

I found that with just about all of the threaded screws into the VP housings, I would have to turn the screws counter clockwise to get them to seat properly on the threads then turn clockwise to run them down. It was like the screws would want to start off pitch and go in at an angle.
Got_Demo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:54 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got_Demo View Post
I found that with just about all of the threaded screws into the VP housings, I would have to turn the screws counter clockwise to get them to seat properly on the threads then turn clockwise to run them down. It was like the screws would want to start off pitch and go in at an angle.
Maybe that's the case. I'm going to try backing them off a little bit, I mean the other ones that are already screwed in, and see if I can get this one to see properly. It might just be the matter of what you said. When you drop nearly $50 on a transmission case you don't want to ruin it. LOL

Nuts are very tight fitting in axle slot, force or dremel shave? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
~Bully axle shave Part 2~ 53 willys RC4WD Bully 45 05-30-2011 12:23 AM
ax10 axle shave? intheworks Axial AX-10 Scorpion 11 02-03-2009 12:58 PM
Rear Axle Shave...do I have to relocate motor? 98TealJ General Crawlers 17 07-22-2006 01:00 AM
Axle shave w/out external motor? Deezul General Crawlers 6 05-17-2006 05:25 PM