Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: I know I've seen it ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2016, 05:24 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default I know I've seen it ?

Someone put a front axle in the rear ...I searched and came up empty...what does it take and will the rear shafts work with a little grinding?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
dasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2016, 07:52 PM   #2
Custom Carbon Fiber

Default Re: I know I e seen it ?

I would say go to the very first page of this section and start backwards. It was something many did back in the early year of the truck.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 07:58 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Why is it something people don't do anymore? Also I found it in the "look at my thing" thread

Old 10-26-2016, 08:15 PM   #4
Custom Carbon Fiber

Going on memory, yikes. It was done when we started blowing upper gears, the front has a shorter top shaft for the locker gear. I believe it was also done because it changed the link locations and shock angles but Im not 100% on that part.

Since then we started using brass inserts to hold the case together then hardened gears came out and bigger bearings. We kind of steered away from it but some still did and do it.

Personally Ive never done it so I cant speak much about benefits, I never blew a rear axle.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:57 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

I see..I'm basically doing it for the clearance and higher mounting location. Check your email when you get a sec...thx Ribbon

Old 10-27-2016, 08:58 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Yes rob is close. YOu need a different (shorter top shaft) and then you need to mod the ring near the tang off of one rear axle. THen run some spacers to take out some slide slop at the bearings. IT takes some playing around for sure. Also it will shorten you wheel base by about 1/8 of an inch because the way the lower links mony so differently.
Curcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 05:49 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Thank you Curcal...that really helps me a lot brother. I will be doing this MOD so !!

Last edited by dasco; 10-27-2016 at 07:39 PM.
Old 10-27-2016, 07:39 PM   #8
RCC Addict

To add to what the others have said, there was also a shortage of VP rear link mounts, so people used front axle cases on both ends just to be able to get the VP goodness.
Solitaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 07:40 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post
To add to what the others have said, there was also a shortage of VP rear link mounts, so people used front axle cases on both ends just to be able to get the VP goodness.
VP goodness...plz explain

Old 10-28-2016, 12:17 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Anyone serious in doing up an XR10 went with VP alum gearboxes as well as the alum link mounts that go with them. Unfortunately, due to the discontinuation of the XR10 by Axial, VP discontinued many of the upgrade parts.
Solitaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 02:46 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

I know...I've been frantically searching for them with no luck :/...anyone that could help with that would greatly be appreciated!!

Old 03-06-2017, 05:25 PM   #12
Hal
Quarry Creeper

I know I am jumping in a bit late here but I have this mod on my XR10. I did it because the rear case has a weak point for the connection for the case halves. Yeah I did 2 bolt mod for a while. As Rob said you will need a shorter shaft for the locker gear and while you are at it I would replace the bearing on the end near the small gear with a Traxxas 5x8 bushing. The bearing is a definate point of failure. If the bearing fails and parts get into the gears.......need I say more? I have Hot Racing (HR) Big Bearing Gearboxes and hardened gears. HR also sells an aluminum link mount. Not much available from VP anymore. You will need longer ends on your links though. I also re arched the titanium lower link. I like the mod also because there is less parts to stock for repairs.The front knuckles are the same as Wraith knuckles so I am running VP knuckles so I can run weights on my knuckles. Hope this helps. Later
Hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 05:47 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Thanks Hal..better late than never...Hehehe...also has more ground clearance and less to hang up on the rocks

Old 03-06-2017, 11:48 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
THE ROOKIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 12:10 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

This thread explains it pretty good.

who wants to see my thing?
Stuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 08:23 PM   #16
Hal
Quarry Creeper

Hey Dasco, did you get any more done on your rig? I am just getting back from a good night of crawling at my LHS. The store has a great indoor and out door rock crawling area. Robbob has been there it would be local for him. The store is RCMadness. I did some mods on my rig (5th Demension chassis XR10) this week and got to see how it worked. I moved the rear links on the chassis up one hole, stiffer rear shock springs (running mini ts) rear springs forward one hole, and heavier oil in rear shocks. I think I will go somewhat heavier on front oil also after running it tonight, maybe limit shock travel some too. All the guys here run super soft springs and light oil 10 wt or none, just enough to lube shock. I think my driving style may be more suited to heavier oils and springs. I just think it worked better for me. Before, one of the guys told me I should let the truck work but It just wouldn't do it for me. More time with this setup may be in order. I am used to running shafties. One other rig is a Bomber. About 7 lbs. More pics? Later
Old 03-08-2017, 07:06 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Yes I have done a few more things to the rig...I really need to update my build thread..lol..I like a stiffer suspension. The softer ones flop around way too much for me ....Robbob is the shock oil genius. If you look up my thread he explains more in great detail. I'll try to update soon

Old 03-08-2017, 07:35 AM   #18
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal View Post
Hey Dasco, did you get any more done on your rig? I am just getting back from a good night of crawling at my LHS. The store has a great indoor and out door rock crawling area. Robbob has been there it would be local for him. The store is RCMadness. I did some mods on my rig (5th Demension chassis XR10) this week and got to see how it worked. I moved the rear links on the chassis up one hole, stiffer rear shock springs (running mini ts) rear springs forward one hole, and heavier oil in rear shocks. I think I will go somewhat heavier on front oil also after running it tonight, maybe limit shock travel some too. All the guys here run super soft springs and light oil 10 wt or none, just enough to lube shock. I think my driving style may be more suited to heavier oils and springs. I just think it worked better for me. Before, one of the guys told me I should let the truck work but It just wouldn't do it for me. More time with this setup may be in order. I am used to running shafties. One other rig is a Bomber. About 7 lbs. More pics? Later

Are you going up next Tuesday?

If you are Ill bring my truck and see what we can tweak, you can try mine and see how my setup feels compared to yours.

Truck weight and shock oils play together

Last edited by Robbob; 03-08-2017 at 07:38 AM.
Old 03-08-2017, 03:48 PM   #19
Hal
Quarry Creeper

I am pretty much there every Tuesday unless something comes up at work. It's a good night out and I get to see some of the guys I have raced and hung out with for 30 pluss years. Trying to get some of them in to crawling. So the simple answer is yes. Hope to see you there. We may be going outside if the weather permits. Rumor is the first Tuesday after we change the clocks we are going to try outdoors. Later
Old 03-21-2017, 11:28 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

Don't forget creeperbob does Ti rear shafts for this set up.
ynmech is offline   Reply With Quote