Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti XL

Notices

Thread: So I need some ideas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2014, 10:00 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default So I need some ideas

Just got my yeti xl today and before I could get home the wife wrapped it up and said I can wait till xmas. So ive got some time to think of upgrades. I have been reading what some of you have been doing as far as upgrades and I know im gonna need diff and shock oil changed out for something thicker. Also the servo will go when it breaks. Ill only fix as needed but want it to be able to handle 6s. What weight oils are common for something this size? I plan to run 4s around the house and 6s at the beach. Seems like ill need to take it apart before running as ive read a few people have been getting dry gears from the factory. Any advice would be great as this is first larger scale truck and havent messed with rc in a few years. Thanks.
keebler1510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-2014, 10:50 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: So I need some ideas

Quick version: Install the factory shims, stuff thicker oil in the diff *IF* you want to rock race/crawl better, and re-tune the suspension a bit because the rear is too springy. I put 30wt oil in but will test it tomorrow to see if it's any better. 6S will probably need sway bars, making your own or waiting for the kits. Servo replacement will help but won't totally fix the problem.

For the diff oil, if you're just driving around, jumping, and not really crawling, you don't really have to pack in 500k or whatever. This is only needed because I wanted to do some rock racing/extreme terrain bashing, and as such the stock 20k simply doesn't get it. 500K lets you pin the throttle and lock up the diffs, which is obviously a huge bonus, but at very low speeds, you'll still diff out.

Now, for the servo issue, it's a bit more than just throwing in a new servo. The main issue at the moment seems to be the fact the the steering rack is plastic, along with the linkages up front. In essence, as I've just seen today in my driving, even a stronger servo will be held back by all the flexing going on. Now, it's still nicer to have 400oz-in compared to the stock 150oz-in, so the fix will most likely be aluminum counterparts in the future.

As for the torque twist, this seems to only be a major issue on 6S. Several people are already running custom sway bar mounts made of readily available Traxxas rod ends and piano wire, or however you want. No word on Axial's part just yet for this.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 03:01 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Just got my yeti xl today and before I could get home the wife wrapped it up and said I can wait till xmas.now thats some funny $hit...unwrap it drive it like you stole it. cuz you did. put it back before she gets home..
bill c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 09:00 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

thats a great wife there to get you an RC item. Mine is cool with my RCing but when I put it down on my wish lists she always says "You can find it cheaper".

I should keep that in mind for stuff I get her ...
Cainlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 12:15 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for the advice so far. I actually told the wife not to get me anything for Christmas cause I wanted to get a yeti. She just decided to wrap it and make me wait. Im ok with it even though the temptation to replace it with a few rocks in the box is pretty high lol. This gives me to time to see whats breaking on everyone else's rig. Im thinking 200k diff oil and 30wt shock oil in the rear should tame it down alot on 6s. I can wait for axial or someone else to make a nice bolt on sway bar. I also already have a bunch of other material for metal steering links left over from crawlers in the past. Ive been looking at sand paddles to go all the around like a foff style. I just wish the sandpaws were made in this size I they would look great on this rig. Im far to lazy to try making the larger version out of some 2.8s though lol. Im sure the family (dogs and kid) will love chase this thing around the beach. I would like to be able to put up pictures of it but this is all I have. Lol
Old 11-23-2014, 12:32 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

man that would be killing me to know what is in that box and have to wait lol.

Hey, if yo don't me asking in general, is there a certain diff weight you feel offers rock racing style performance? I am used to straight up RC racing, but have a fun vehicle I am working on till I decide to buy a yeti XL (kyosho Mad Force)

Feel free to shoot me a pm on that if you rather discuss there and congrats on the Yeti XL.
Old 11-23-2014, 01:26 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainlord View Post
man that would be killing me to know what is in that box and have to wait lol.

Hey, if yo don't me asking in general, is there a certain diff weight you feel offers rock racing style performance? I am used to straight up RC racing, but have a fun vehicle I am working on till I decide to buy a yeti XL (kyosho Mad Force)

Feel free to shoot me a pm on that if you rather discuss there and congrats on the Yeti XL.
Im sure the waiting will get worse the closer it gets to xmas. And my list of upgrades will get longer before then as well lol. Honestly im not sure what diff weight would be right I haven't messed with rc in a while. Ive been reading and trying to get a consensus on what other people are doing. The only oil I have on hand is 200k, so ill try that first as sneetches said 500k will pretty much lock it. If the 200k doesnt feel right I may try locking the rear with 500k. I wont be rock racing much at all but I have a few jumps around the house and the street to play on, the beach is where I hope the yeti will excel. The more I look at this thing the more I see a large scale foff vehicle. When I was cralwing and bashing with my old 1/10 monster truck I used play doh to lock the diffs front and rear which really did help keep it planted better in the straights, that also lead to some broken parts. I was using 4s and 550 can brushless so the torque twist was comical like ive seen the yeti on 6s, but with stiffer shocks and basically locked diffs it would pull up both front wheels instead of one. Im a fan of speed runs and bashing around the house, not many rocks in my lil subdivision. My experience with rc is try what others are trying but use common sense lol...I dont think ill be running mine as rough as sneetches is so I dont feel I should go 500k before ive tried something closer to factory spec. Hope that helps.
Old 11-23-2014, 01:40 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

thanks for the info!
Old 11-25-2014, 08:50 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Woah! That is too funny!!! Haha
fatroofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 08:43 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

I know this is kinda a noob question, but what kind and which brand diff oil are people using? Are any better than the rest? I ust to use marine lithium grease on gears is that still ok on setups like this?

The wife has now setup the tree and teases me with putting it behind all the other presents...lol...its getting hard to not try to open it when shes not around.

So I need some ideas - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ideas???? redcatguy 1.9 Scale Rigs 2 07-10-2010 03:32 PM
Any ideas who's these are? LIKES2CRAWL Videos! 3 12-31-2008 10:18 AM
need ideas intimadationrc Paint and Body 7 12-03-2007 03:46 AM
Getting Ideas xjman Chit Chat 0 09-29-2006 07:19 PM