Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti XL

Notices

Thread: 1/8 motor in a mini go kart for kids??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2015, 11:47 PM   #1

Default 1/8 motor in a mini go kart for kids??

i have a yeti xl that im thinking about parting out or sell entirely. i wanted to get a small go kart for my kids. but i want to control it with an rc remote. so if i part out im hoping that the 1/8 motor will have enough juice.

since my kids are still pretty small i was wondering if a motor out of the yeti XL would be enough power to get the kart moving. im not looking for anything much. just to get it moving and going slowly. kids are 2 years and 3 year so im not looking for anything remotely fast.

kart i was thinking of making would be about 2.5-3ft long. nothing really in it except the basics.

another option is if there is a bigger motor that i can get working with the receiver so i can still control it. then i can use those trim functions to slow it down.

i came across a barstool frame for about $200 and looks small enough. so i might just use that so i dont have to waste time building the frame.

Pro Barstool racer frame kits

also if everything on the yeti stays the same, and i just change the batteries from 2s to 3,4,or 5s does that make it go faster? never mind things breaking, just want to know if that would be an option if i use the current 1/8 motor.

any help would be great. want to get this project going.
jvh22a is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-2015, 12:21 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: 1/8 motor in a mini go kart for kids??

Super odd post BTW. Just get a radio flyer and hall them around. $50 on Craigslist. Done.
cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 12:40 AM   #3

sorry; i know. figured i try something new. i like to tinker so wanted to build something.
Old 06-01-2015, 03:26 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Any motor will work with the right gear reduction....that's a lot if weight to be pushing around with that motor/esc. Gearing is your friend

I'm thinking more if the 1/5 scale motor and esc with a very low gear.

Voltage equals rpm...at some point rpm factors into the torque needed to make this happen

Last edited by redsawacs; 06-01-2015 at 03:28 AM.
redsawacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 05:50 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Either that or a dual brushed motor setup like Kershaw designs has for the summit. Brushed motors can handle loads better than brushless. Some folks even put two Dewalt motors in their summit which is supposed to have insane torque ��
BobTeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 07:43 AM   #6

Thanks for the ideas. I'll check those out.

I saw a castle creation 1/5 motor but that thing was about $350 (motor only). So I was hoping to keep it as cheap as possible.

Brain storming last night I was wondering how I would get the spur gear ( not sure if I got the name right, big gear connect ed to the pinion) on the axle? The kart uses a 1"axle.
Old 06-01-2015, 10:03 AM   #7

they do have the leopard 1/5th motors for a lot less about 150ish and the toro motors also
cruz1383 is offline   Reply With Quote