Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti XL

Notices

Thread: Custom Axial Yeti xl

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2016, 05:37 AM   #1

Default Custom Axial Yeti xl

Hello, i am working for the last Weeks on my Yeti, and build a Custom Chassis from Aluminium What do you think about?

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
Rocker06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2016, 01:55 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Custom Axial Yeti xl

Looks awesome Rocker! How's it compare weight wise to the stock XL?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bbos12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 06:11 AM   #3

It has nearly the same weight as the stock one

Old 07-04-2016, 01:04 PM   #4

Old 07-04-2016, 11:21 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Very nice, you've manage to fortify your tower by putting a plate in the back and made that the contact point for the roll cage, thats much better than the tower brace and the tower bridge I put on mine. That tower is stiff and solid as it will ever get, decent overall rock racer look too, you should consider making those to sell here LOL.
tonyfalkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 11:34 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Did you incorporate a skid plate or did you bolt the YXL skid plate to your custom aluminum chassis ?? Please post some pictures of the underside of your aluminum chassis.
Old 07-05-2016, 12:31 AM   #7

Hy tonyfalcon, yes i bolt the skid plate to the chassis i send more fotos soon.

Old 07-05-2016, 12:55 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

That thing is just awesome. Video is great. My daughter is skeptical of the YXL too.

Are the batteries in the same location? I can't tell if those are batteries in the top down pic. Supports for the front shocks look amazing.

Pretty twisty though. Could use a sway bar. Also, if you can make all that bad ass stuff....make some metal links .
Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 12:58 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I wasn't kidding about your design it looks really sturdy I wouldn't mind owning one but I'm sure something like that would be out of my budget not to mention the shipping cost from your place to mine. I've been doing different YXL chassis rendering on the computer for a while now but none them could come close to the simplicity of your design not to mention functionality in terms of structural integrity. Please keep us posted on your designs progress I'm curious to know how it holds up on jumps, bad landings and tumbling.
Old 07-05-2016, 01:14 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyfalkon View Post
Very nice, you've manage to fortify your tower by putting a plate in the back and made that the contact point for the roll cage, thats much better than the tower brace and the tower bridge I put on mine. That tower is stiff and solid as it will ever get, decent overall rock racer look too, you should consider making those to sell here LOL.

2nd that id buy one.
VNEMSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 11:25 AM   #11

Hello Deckard, yes the Batteries are at the same Place.. The center point is verry low and the driving is much better then bevore.
I realy need a sway bar but first i want to modify the steering with gm Parts and a Savöx Servo the projekt is not finishd now, i have a lot of work to do on the car in the future... I will bring fotos from the next modifications.

Old 07-05-2016, 11:53 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Beautiful rig !!
I'm still pissed my buddy broke my tig lol
That thing would look cool rock climbing !! I've used the Dhawk 2 speed, 11 tooth pinion with lockers and the BHB HC mod... WOW these things are SO capable !! The C.C link makes it even funner !!
Anyways looking toward your future Threads,mods and post Keep up the beautiful work Man
BarHarborBasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 01:36 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

I hate to say it but I don't like it at all. Terrible chassis layout, upper and lower link points have no adjustments, the front shock tower attachment point and don't get me started on the cage.

I have a little experience in building cages and I will be more than happy to fix what I see for FREE. I will be a nice guy and even pay for shipping to my business. Just send me your info via PM and I'll get it turned around as quickly as i can.

Sarcasm aside and in all seriousness, awesome job on your custom Yeti. Look forward to more videos and pictures. I sure wish I knew how to weld aluminum after see this.
cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 04:01 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Shouldn't be too hard to add some holes to adjust the rear shocks and rear lower links. It would be sweet if the rear upper links attached directly to the chassis with holes for adjustment. Front shock tower is stock, so adjustment is there. I would add holes to the front brace so you can run a screw through the shock tower. It would also be cool to see an interior in there. I'm a closet scale nerd and like interiors.

While we're all adding what we would like to see....I want a Mark 19 on the front and a Browning 50 in the rear. Maybe a few amps and a dude playing a flame throwing guitar.

Awesome work. I'll be more than happy to take a sample to the BMX track and see how it jumps.

EDIT: Just watched the video again and now I want to hack my cage. I really like the snubbed front, lower roof line, and short back. Reminds me of the DMG Stiffy for the Wraith.

Last edited by Deckard; 07-05-2016 at 04:07 PM.
Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 10:20 AM   #15

Today i make a little upgrade and the paintjob for the chassis plate

Old 07-09-2016, 12:22 PM   #16
RCC Addict

!!!!! Killer job man !!!!! Very inspiring!!!!! Keep it coming
BarHarborBasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 01:27 PM   #17

Thx BarHarborBasher

Old 07-09-2016, 02:10 PM   #18

I love what you are doing. It looks very nice.

Did you use aluminium rods or aluminium tubes for chassis? What was a diameter of your rods/tubes? From the pictures I am guessing 5-6mm?

How did you join the rods/tubes? Did you do silver brazing (known also as silver soldering or hard soldering)? Or did you do welding (TIG)?

What did you use to hold rods/tubes? From some earlier pictures I see that at some joints you have 4-5 rods/tubes joined together and on the roof I see 8 rods/tubes in a single join. It must have been difficult to properly align them and also to hold them in place while doing either welding or brazing.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
dragonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 02:33 PM   #19

Hy dragonx, i use 6mm rods from Duraluminium. Its very lightwight and super strong and easy to braize with al390 kapilliar lot. Yes its very difficult to braice 8 rodes in one point but braice at first in the easy points and let they all come together in the center an brauce then and it will work

Old 07-11-2016, 01:52 PM   #20

Thank you very much for sharing information about al390.

I read about it online, it looks like a very nice product. I might order a pack in a near future and try it out :o)

Keep up the good work :o)
dragonx is offline   Reply With Quote

Custom Axial Yeti xl - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yeti, Set, GO!!! FastEddy Bearings for the Axial Yeti FastEddy Axial Yeti 13 04-21-2015 07:33 AM