Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti XL

Notices

Thread: First Time Tire Glue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2015, 06:57 AM   #1

Default First Time Tire Glue

Getting ready to glue my Yeti XL kit tires. I've watched alot of different vids on how to glue tires and I think I'm just going to do my best at getting the glue down into the rim and rolling the tire back and forth to get the bead against the rim. I've seen rubber bands and things like that, but it looks like rolling the tire will work just fine.

My question here is do I need to glue up the outside edges of the tire? Meaning after I glue the tire down into the bead, do I then need to put an additional layer on the outside edges to seal it up? I'm hoping I can just put enough glue down into the bead and the edge that it will seal it all up that way. I don't like the idea of seeing dried glue on the edge all the way around.

Do I need to punch a couple of small holes in the tire to let air escape? Won't that let water and dirt in?

Thanks for the help.
jdhorton000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2015, 08:19 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: First Time Tire Glue

I didn't put holes in my tires and dirt and stuff still gets in there. If you have JConcepts glue, it may have included a very thin tube. That's handy to seal up the lip on the rim. If you're patient, you can make it look really good. The Axial rims aren't the greatest, but they work. I but a lot of glue on my tires and they still come apart at the lip after a few runs.

I suggest wrapping black Gorilla Tape around inside of the tire. I go around the inside twice and it does a great job of stopping the tire from pancaking.

Make sure you use a real socket wrench to get the wheel on tight. You don't want to blow out the hex on your first run
Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 08:44 AM   #3

Default Re: First Time Tire Glue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckard View Post
I didn't put holes in my tires and dirt and stuff still gets in there. If you have JConcepts glue, it may have included a very thin tube. That's handy to seal up the lip on the rim. If you're patient, you can make it look really good. The Axial rims aren't the greatest, but they work. I but a lot of glue on my tires and they still come apart at the lip after a few runs.

I suggest wrapping black Gorilla Tape around inside of the tire. I go around the inside twice and it does a great job of stopping the tire from pancaking.

Make sure you use a real socket wrench to get the wheel on tight. You don't want to blow out the hex on your first run
Thanks for the tips!
jdhorton000 is offline   Reply With Quote

First Time Tire Glue - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
tire glue Diesel demond Tires and Wheels 7 06-18-2013 05:42 PM
Tire Glue rockn Tires and Wheels 3 10-05-2010 10:19 AM
??? Tire glue ??? PIMPNROCKS Tires and Wheels 7 11-27-2007 10:45 PM
tire glue rash_powder Tires and Wheels 2 01-14-2007 12:06 PM
tire glue Savageking68 Newbie General 5 04-25-2006 10:15 PM