Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti XL

Notices

Thread: Yeti XL discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2015, 08:19 AM   #1

Default Yeti XL discussions

has anyone found another forum or two that is active and has good content on the Yeti XL? It seems that RCC as far as the Yeti XL has died down a lot.
BrandonM95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2015, 03:14 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Yeti XL discussions

Let's post more questions. This is the most active forum I've found. It's a pretty niche vehicle.
Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 08:07 PM   #3
RCC Addict

All the questions have been answered.

"Ain't there somebody else needs killin'?"
"No, Pain. You've killed them all"
redsawacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 01:03 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Was Redsawacs Hawkeye for Halloween? - Yes
Old 11-12-2015, 05:06 AM   #5

Yeah, this forum is really nice and has a lot of info. I read through all the threads on this sub-forum and it seems to be mostly about the front diff and bearing issues, lol.
BrandonM95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 09:26 PM   #6
RCC Addict

I have no issues with diffs, I complain about the suspension
Old 11-12-2015, 10:52 PM   #7
I joined the Band!

Same here, I did a diff tear down last week, After about 15 pairs of lipos thru her, and a damn high wallride and jump session at the bike track, The gears looked almost new.. I really feel like a proper shimming, and punch control settings really are the key to keeping them from shredding..

I'll stand right there and complain with you about suspension red.. I got the heaviest HR springs, put the reds in the back, and the golds in the front which has helped dramatically.

On the subject of the forum activity, I've created a couple threads myself on the truck, Threads around here die rather quickly which sucks because unless the new guys are willing to dig. They may never see ..
Capwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 10:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capwn View Post
Same here, I did a diff tear down last week, After about 15 pairs of lipos thru her, and a damn high wallride and jump session at the bike track, The gears looked almost new.. I really feel like a proper shimming, and punch control settings really are the key to keeping them from shredding..

I'll stand right there and complain with you about suspension red.. I got the heaviest HR springs, put the reds in the back, and the golds in the front which has helped dramatically.

On the subject of the forum activity, I've created a couple threads myself on the truck, Threads around here die rather quickly which sucks because unless the new guys are willing to dig. They may never see ..
The diffs are major issues on this truck, even when properly shimmed and well controlled. blip the brakes too quick on any type of sticky ground and the gears will skip around.

As for forum activity .. you are are supposed to search for the information you want before asking a question. otherwise the forum would be filled with 300 " why are my gears stripping" threads and repeats of everything else.

This particular truck is not very user friendly or strong. it's designed poorly and even with the best aftermarket parts, it's still a truck full of design failures. most people who buy the XL's get rid of them quick.
FCSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 11:41 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Hmm I disagree with that statement that most people sell there yeti xl quickly
Because you don't see them for sale very often
On the forms I love my YXL I just bought a second one
And I've owned a lot of different Rc cars like erevo
Losi hpi and I've had a ton of them and the yeti xl is
By far my favorite
All Rc cars have there flaws and they all brake
Kx450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 05:37 PM   #10

The hobby shop i purchased my XL's from has sold 4 xl's. 2 of which were purchased by me. i bought the RTR just after it came out and i pre-ordered the kit and had it built before most retailers even had a chance to get them in stock for shipment. both of the other XL's that were purchased were back at the hobbyshop on consignment within a month. i also sold my RTR. so, of the 4 XL's i personally know of in my area ... 3 were sold and only 1 remains with it's original owner.

i have other cars as well. I know they all break eventually. the difference is; i go out with my other cars and wonder IF i'm going to crash and wreck something through my own fault ... i take the XL out and wonder how expensive the few hours it lasts are going to be. The kid i sold my RTR to doesnt even bring it out, because he can't afford to fix it everytime it's out.
Old 11-15-2015, 05:46 PM   #11
RCC Addict

I have posted about this many times. Basically, you have to learn to drive it. If not, you'll want to sell it. Plain and simple, you failed to learn how to drive it.

Read the thread about punch control.

The Yeti XL is an Axial, not a Traxxas...

Last edited by redsawacs; 11-15-2015 at 05:50 PM.
Old 11-15-2015, 05:55 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Redsawacs is positively correct. I come from a 1/10 background and beat the snot out of all of em. After I built my YXL kit I tried to drive it the same way and FAILED. Nothing but broken parts and frustration. You have to drive it with an egg under the throttle and punch control is your friend. I could not get through 1 set of batteries at first. After taking a step back and looking at things and tuning my punch and brakes I have had no failures and nothing but fun. The YXL is a totally different animal but with some restraint it is incredible fun. See my thread on punch control it explains alot but not just wheels the truck as a whole.

Last edited by pro mod steve; 11-15-2015 at 05:58 PM.
pro mod steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 06:12 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCSteve View Post
The diffs are major issues on this truck, even when properly shimmed and well controlled. blip the brakes too quick on any type of sticky ground and the gears will skip around.

As for forum activity .. you are are supposed to search for the information you want before asking a question. otherwise the forum would be filled with 300 " why are my gears stripping" threads and repeats of everything else.

This particular truck is not very user friendly or strong. it's designed poorly and even with the best aftermarket parts, it's still a truck full of design failures. most people who buy the XL's get rid of them quick.
3 weeks ago I would have agreed with your statement about the truck not being strong. BUT now I have to disagree. It is not that the truck is weak it has to be driven differently. You have to change your driving style for the limits of this behemoth. Believe me I tried to drive it like a slash 4X4 1/10 truck or any thing else and you can't. I learned the hard and expensive way with tons of broken gears and stripped wheels. With a little restraint it is a ton of fun and will live.
pro mod steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 06:47 PM   #14

I'm fully aware of "how" to drive it. I'm not new here. I was on that learning curve before any of these threads or half of these people even had an XL.

Sure, if you drive the truck like a sissy girl it can go and stop. In no way, shape or form does the truck surviving, if you baby it, make it a good truck. It's NOT strong and IS poorly designed, those are facts.

If you were at a hobbyshop right now and had a whole room full of people interested in buying an XL based solely on Axials advertisements and looking at the truck on the shelf. I'd bet more than half of them would be gone before you got half way through describing the truck, You'd be lucky if you had 1 or 2 people interested after you were done. i know that to be a fact because i've had over a dozen people interested in buying "one of those" after seeing mine. nobody wants to hear a laundry list of "you can't do's". I never even got to talking about price with almost any of them.

Don't get me wrong, I love taking the XL out, but i don't turn a blind eye to all of it's flaws.
Old 11-15-2015, 06:57 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Well I guess it's all a mater of apinion
I like mine it stays together and I put upgrades in it
Just like any other Rc car
And I'll keep it
It halls but
It's fun to drive
Old 11-16-2015, 02:35 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

I don't baby my YXL. I also don't drive it like an ADHD 8 year old. I don't enjoy flipping RCs over off the line. Any RC can do wheelies...big deal. I also hate slamming the breaks because it'll roll. My Slash will roll just like the YXL rolls. I hate when RCs roll because I'm a lazy bastard. The YXL is by far the most fun I've ever had driving. At the BMX track this thing is pure RC bliss. It's so fun to watch it soak up the terrain and launch into the air. I can do the same thing with the Slash 4x4 monster truck I just built for my son and have a blast (RPM wheels with Axial Ripsaw tires, it's cool as hell). Liam's Slash is so freaking durable it's crazy. Still, while it's fun to drive, it's not nearly as fun as the YXL.

I'll be driving my YXL for a long time. When I saw the Axial fluff videos, I knew I had to have it. I read all the negatives, but I also enjoyed reading about the fun people from this forum had with theirs. I knew it would spend time on the bench (I like wrenching) and I knew it would be quirky. That's what I like about it. It's not a good first RC.

The new X-Maxx or whatever from Traxxas looks cool. I've seen one in person and it's impressive. The diffs on that thing are massive. The monster truck body looks terrible and I don't yet what bodies may fit because the X-Maxx has a proprietary locking system. However, Axial did a very poor job with the drive train in the YXL. The diffs are barely passible for a 1/10 car and have no business in the YXL. The battery doors.... Axial was trolling us with that design. So, maybe some of the stuff I don't like about the YXL won't be an issue on the X-Maxx. I just can't get past the monster truck look and I don't know if I want to put the money into it.

The YXL isn't for everyone, but I enjoy it. I know how to drive it now and feel comfortable with it. I don't drive like a ***** either. I've heard people say that some RCs don't have a soul and I understand what they mean.
Old 11-16-2015, 06:18 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCSteve View Post
I'm fully aware of "how" to drive it. I'm not new here. I was on that learning curve before any of these threads or half of these people even had an XL.

Don't get me wrong, I love taking the XL out, but i don't turn a blind eye to all of it's flaws.
Other than the diffs what other flaws have you noticed or encountered.
tonyfalkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 09:49 AM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Dude it's a sweet kit just do a few things like punch control and
ajust your slipper I played with mine in stock form on 4s for months
With only one problem the trans case split in half
Witch was my fault I'm sure I don't think I got the screws tight enuff
I own 2 of the kits and I'd buy a a third in a heart beat if I could afford
It
Old 11-16-2015, 04:05 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyfalkon View Post
Other than the diffs what other flaws have you noticed or encountered.
The steering system is poor. I have yet to detonate a diff, but have killed three different spurs and pinions (but one set was due to the motor bolts coming out a little)

Besides those two things I love my YXL and tell everyone how much I love it until they walk away looking confused. Seriously just buy the truck if you want one. You will iron out whatever issues crop up for you.

Also, just drive it on 4S, 6S is just silly and begs to destroy anything.
Steve-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 06:25 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

I kinda agree with both sides. Just call me Switzerland! If I was a LHS owner and a customer asked me about the YXL. I'd say, "It is a very large scale rig that's aggressive looking, powerful, fast and can make even the roughest terrain it's b!+€&... That is, When it's running! HaHa...Right out the box it will take a few "must" modifications and some ESC tuning. Its also a rig that requires some $$, TLC and maintenance. Also, probably not a truck for a newbie or the less mechanically inclined individual. However, taking all of this into account... it's more than worth the investment. It's an absolute animal and one of the funnest RC's I've ever driven. Off the line, it will run with any MT and also out terrain and jump most. You can actually run over your friends trucks. Oh, yeah... And my favorite part is-- The son of a gun will actually paw at you too.

PS. Its better to have some extra coin in your pocket and not have a budget. 💰😁
Trifish is offline   Reply With Quote

Yeti XL discussions - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Comments to my discussions Gringus1989 Comments, Suggestions, and Help 2 11-03-2009 05:21 AM
Black Widow Crew discussions Interceptor Axial AX-10 Scorpion 389 10-24-2009 09:13 AM