Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti XL

Notices

Thread: Hex adapters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2016, 08:45 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Angry Hex adapters

Hey guys... I have an RTR YXL with the HR wheel adapters. I finally got around to putting on my MT4 wheels when I noticed I can't tighten the hexes down all the way due to the "cap" bottoming out. I don't want to shim the wheels, so I started looking at the Axial Kit conversion. The darn hexes are ~$40 which is nuts. So my question is, do any of you have other vehicles' hexes/hubs sitting around to try? I think the 8ight parts look to fit, but I'm not wanting to dump more money into this POS, only to find something doesn't work.

Thanks for the help! Great forum!
YXLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2016, 03:21 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Hex adapters

I had a similar issue with mine. I found the Axial Hex adapters on Ebay for 18 bucks shipped. so you'll still pay about 36.00, but you'll have the right ones. I've heard the Traxxas one's can be used, but they have to be drilled out. Think a set of 4 of those is only like 26.00.
UZI4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 08:13 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by UZI4U View Post
I had a similar issue with mine. I found the Axial Hex adapters on Ebay for 18 bucks shipped. so you'll still pay about 36.00, but you'll have the right ones. I've heard the Traxxas one's can be used, but they have to be drilled out. Think a set of 4 of those is only like 26.00.
Thanks for the reply! I am still contemplating the 8ight hexes as they're only $11 for the set of 4. I don't have the best drilling skills, so not sure I'd get the Traxxas hexes right.
Old 02-16-2016, 09:11 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Looking for a cheap fix? Just put a washer on and then the cap. I have the HR wheel adapters and MT4 wheels also... and have been doing it ever since I got them. No stripping or warping either.
Trifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 07:03 AM   #5

all you need are 17mm hollow hex nuts. $6 for 4. TowerHobbies.com | Associated Nyloc Wheel Nuts Black (4)
alex93se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 10:25 AM   #6
RCC Addict

YXLER, could you be so kind as to post a picture of what you have and what you're trying to accomplish. It will be easier to come up with a solution if I could see it.

We'll get you going - don't worry.
redsawacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 06:11 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsawacs View Post
YXLER, could you be so kind as to post a picture of what you have and what you're trying to accomplish. It will be easier to come up with a solution if I could see it.

We'll get you going - don't worry.
Hey Red, thanks for the assistance. I can't really get a good picture of what's going on... basically the hex bottoms out (more like a cap than a nut) before engaging the wheel. An open nut with the same thread would fix the issue for sure as Alex93se pointed out. A washer would also work to "fill the gap".

In an attempt to add robustness, I ordered the new axles and the 8ight hexes. That uses the same size bearings as the YXL, so they should work. The pin is also the same size, so hopefully all goes well.

Thanks to everyone trying to help me out, I appreciate it very much. Even after having RC's for over 25 years, something always comes along to throw me a curveball. The YXL is certainly the most frustrating and challenging vehicle I've ever had. Nothing makes me smile more though when it's running over everything.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:03 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Is this what you purchased? if so everything is a direct fit.

I share your frustrations with the rtr version, axial really pooped it with their korny 14mm axle to 17mm hex conversion and we paid for that pile of poo but that's been gone over and over, I think what you did is the best thing, bite the bullet and move on up the chain of making your YXL more bullet proof.
jump_it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 05:22 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by YXLER View Post
Hey Red, thanks for the assistance. I can't really get a good picture of what's going on... basically the hex bottoms out (more like a cap than a nut) before engaging the wheel. An open nut with the same thread would fix the issue for sure as Alex93se pointed out. A washer would also work to "fill the gap".

In an attempt to add robustness, I ordered the new axles and the 8ight hexes. That uses the same size bearings as the YXL, so they should work. The pin is also the same size, so hopefully all goes well.

Thanks to everyone trying to help me out, I appreciate it very much. Even after having RC's for over 25 years, something always comes along to throw me a curveball. The YXL is certainly the most frustrating and challenging vehicle I've ever had. Nothing makes me smile more though when it's running over everything.
So, the 8ight hexes work! Not only that, but the nuts work with the hot racing hexes as well! So, don't waste $40 on the Axial hexes and buy the 8ight parts for $10! Hope this helps someone else. Thanks for the help all!

Edit: One minor issue... the thread depth of the 8ight hexes are somewhat shallow, so the stock wheels have just enough engagement to stay on. I am not sure how this will affect things. I am also going to try out some Mugen hexes to see if those are better. I will update with my results. It apprears as though the Axial hexes are extra long.

Last edited by YXLER; 02-22-2016 at 08:06 PM.
Old 02-23-2016, 12:35 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by YXLER View Post
So, the 8ight hexes work! Not only that, but the nuts work with the hot racing hexes as well! So, don't waste $40 on the Axial hexes and buy the 8ight parts for $10! Hope this helps someone else. Thanks for the help all!

Edit: One minor issue... the thread depth of the 8ight hexes are somewhat shallow, so the stock wheels have just enough engagement to stay on. I am not sure how this will affect things. I am also going to try out some Mugen hexes to see if those are better. I will update with my results. It apprears as though the Axial hexes are extra long.
I did notice that it looks like they don't have back spacing... Is that the case ? If they don't they will be snapping pins left and right..
BarHarborBasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 07:37 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Back-spacing is definitely not there and finding an appropriate spacer seems nearly impossible. I'm thinking that I should cut my losses and buy the darn Axial ones. At least the hexes are something that don't wear too much. Only risk is losing one when a wheel comes off and the grub screw is loose.

The Mugen ones fit too, and the backspacing is better, but due to them adding offset, there's nothing retaining the pin other than the grub screw. I don't think I'm comfortable with that, given how nuts the YXL is power-wise.

Hex adapters - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
hex adapters for 17mm hex. littlemel Formula Offroad 1 10-01-2013 11:31 AM
Wider Hex adapters? bassguitar Tires and Wheels 0 03-09-2009 08:27 AM
hpi hex adapters? Exodus Tires and Wheels 1 04-08-2007 07:19 PM
Clod hex to 23mm hex adapters? mschaffer66 Tamiya Clod Buster 13 05-03-2006 07:04 PM
Hex Help on the 1:6, Need Wheel adapters skerb General Crawlers 3 11-16-2005 01:29 PM