Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti XL

Notices

Thread: XMAXX body to YXL Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2017, 01:34 PM   #1

Default XMAXX body to YXL Question

I went to my LHS where i know the owner and he set his Traxxas XMAXX body on my YXL and it is perfect fit. The YXL cage will need to be removed but it seems that it will mount fairly easy. I also see that Proline is releasing a Ford Raptor Body for the XMAXX (Same dimensions) and I am going to buy the Raptor version and mount it. My concern is the rear body mount position. I know I will have to fab a mount but does anyone think that there should be a brace across from Shock mount to shock mount or should I do something else? I am having trouble coming up with a solution for a strong mount and also feel that the shock mounting points need to be protected with the body change- Any suggestions?
SkyScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2017, 01:38 PM   #2

Default Re: XMAXX body to YXL Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyScorpion View Post
I went to my LHS where i know the owner and he set his Traxxas XMAXX body on my YXL and it is perfect fit. The YXL cage will need to be removed but it seems that it will mount fairly easy. I also see that Proline is releasing a Ford Raptor Body for the XMAXX (Same dimensions) and I am going to buy the Raptor version and mount it. My concern is the rear body mount position. I know I will have to fab a mount but does anyone think that there should be a brace across from Shock mount to shock mount or should I do something else? I am having trouble coming up with a solution for a strong mount and also feel that the shock mounting points need to be protected with the body change- Any suggestions?
It's to big for yxl :(. Made photo later.

Nexus 6P Tapatalk
KeLeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 01:50 PM   #3

Sorry, I usually do not disagree but the body fits perfect. I had studied this for an hour with the hobby shop owner. If I wanted to i could just screw the body to the cage using the body panel screws but do not want it to look that jacked up. You should fit the body yourself to see it. As far as I can tell there is minimal tire rub with suspension articulation but the body could go a little higher to offset that.
Old 03-10-2017, 02:40 PM   #4

It's to long for yxl. On not perfect jump destroyed body.

Nexus 6P Tapatalk
KeLeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 02:47 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Although, if you pick up the TBR bumper, it extends a lot further out, and might protect the longer body.
Pete9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 04:19 PM   #6
RCC Addict

I'm picking one up for my SMT 5 Build. With a 30" wheel base it fits like a dream.
BarHarborBasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 04:19 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Unless you can find a solution for the rear overhang, you're gonna destroy that body pretty quickly.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 10:49 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

I have an X-Maxx and just sent my PL Raptor body to the painter. I can tell you the X-Maxx body is pretty thin and diffidently would need rear protection. But looks cool.
MaxxPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 11:01 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Old 03-12-2017, 02:27 PM   #10

I think the same,actually Proline's new x-maxx raptor body looks really cool,and it can be mount on YXL's rollcage.I mounted FG's 1/5 Hummer H2 body to YXL cage system and added some scale touches like roof rack,light bar and etc.Now I am building 1942 Jeep Willys Body for my Yeti XL
Time to see some different bodies on YXL!
By the way if you think it's a shelf queen with that body,I'm beating it wherevere I go

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6o...MP7irLm7xaQhyw

With the X-maxx front bumper mounted on...

Last edited by ULTRA4EVER; 03-12-2017 at 02:34 PM.
ULTRA4EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 10:01 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Nice

Last edited by ferp420; 03-14-2017 at 02:53 PM.
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 11:08 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Try to see if you can incorporate the Xmaxx F/R body mount to the YXL, so you can have a better idea where to do the fab work on the YXL, it'll save you time and ease the removal/insertion of the body. If it was me I'd build a platform in the front and back to accommodate the Xmaxx mount but I'm just guessing at this point. If you can post a pix of the Xmaxx body on the rig without the YXL cage it will present a better view of where the mounts needs to be and how high it should sit to avoid hitting the tires, that is if you decide to use the Xmaxx body mounts.

I had the same mounting problem when I put a short course body on the YXL, snug fit with Cen tires no overhang, putting platform in the front was easy, the back was challenging. It quickly became a nightmare when I tried to make it look like a trophy truck. LOL
tonyfalkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 11:08 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyfalkon View Post
Try to see if you can incorporate the Xmaxx F/R body mount to the YXL, so you can have a better idea where to do the fab work on the YXL, it'll save you time and ease the removal/insertion of the body. If it was me I'd build a platform in the front and back to accommodate the Xmaxx mount but I'm just guessing at this point. If you can post a pix of the Xmaxx body on the rig without the YXL cage it will present a better view of where the mounts needs to be and how high it should sit to avoid hitting the tires, that is if you decide to use the Xmaxx body mounts.

I had the same mounting problem when I put a short course body on the YXL, snug fit with Cen tires no overhang, putting platform in the front was easy, the back was challenging. It quickly became a nightmare when I tried to make it look like a trophy truck. LOL
The rear shock support truss has body post mounts built in.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:10 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTRA4EVER View Post
I think the same,actually Proline's new x-maxx raptor body looks really cool,and it can be mount on YXL's rollcage.I mounted FG's 1/5 Hummer H2 body to YXL cage system and added some scale touches like roof rack,light bar and etc.Now I am building 1942 Jeep Willys Body for my Yeti XL
Time to see some different bodies on YXL!
By the way if you think it's a shelf queen with that body,I'm beating it wherevere I go

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6o...MP7irLm7xaQhyw

With the X-maxx front bumper mounted on...

Your BHB high clearance mod looks good
Old 04-06-2017, 02:48 PM   #15

Sorry I travel a lot for work but thank you all for the info. BarHarbor Basher can you post pics of where/how you mounted the Hummer body on the YXL? It looks like you used 1 screw on each side down low behind the front wheels but can't tell about the main mounts to the cage-thanks
Old 04-07-2017, 08:53 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyScorpion View Post
Sorry I travel a lot for work but thank you all for the info. BarHarbor Basher can you post pics of where/how you mounted the Hummer body on the YXL? It looks like you used 1 screw on each side down low behind the front wheels but can't tell about the main mounts to the cage-thanks
I'd love to take credit of the H2 but you've got the wrong guy lol

XMAXX body to YXL Question - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Xmaxx on beadlockers for the hpib5. Hpiman74 Traxxas Crawlers 6 02-22-2016 10:02 PM
YXl Wheel question. tech3241 Axial Yeti XL 1 12-26-2015 08:48 PM
Question about slowing the YXL? pro mod steve Axial Yeti XL 12 12-26-2015 08:18 PM
Xmaxx panhndl Mega/Monster Trucks 1 11-01-2015 07:52 PM