Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti XL

Notices

Thread: Trans and diff lube

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2018, 11:59 AM   #1

Default Trans and diff lube

Hey everyone
Just picked up a used XL and have torn down for a complete rebuild minor upgrades came with lots.
Specifically when I took apart the rear diff and front housing previous owner had just packed full of chassis grease. Have rebuilt a few scx10 ones and usually liberaly marine grease the ring and pinion gears with some extra in the areas of but not this full.
Wondering how much you guys are using and what?
Also how much and what in the transmission gears?
I plan on using ta 200k oil in front diff and 500k in the rear.
And Lucas marine grease for ring and pinion.
Thanks for the reply in advance.
Devious69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2018, 12:42 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Trans and diff lube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devious69 View Post
Also how much and what in the transmission gears?
I plan on using ta 200k oil in front diff and 500k in the rear.
And Lucas marine grease for ring and pinion.
I'm using just a little grease (nothing fancy) inside the trasmission case and for the ring pinion. And 200k/500k sound just about right

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
Tzicul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 05:27 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

I use Mobil 1 syn grease for ring pinion and trans. Just coat the gears. Once it’s running the excess doesn’t really make it on to the gears so it doesn’t take much. I just like to periodically open them up and re brush it on. Diff oil is preference for how open or closed you want them. This is my basher so I’m using 100k front and back. It’s not normal from what I’ve read but I like it. The truck runs great for me with this weight. In my head it was less stress on the drive train to allow some “open diff” give with the 100k. it still tears up the terrain
Nastyn8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 07:31 AM   #4

Hey all

thanks for the reply , so i have been greasing ring and pinions correctly all along, just found it odd that this one was soo stuffed full.

i read one other thread on here about using the really sticky lucas oil stabilizer for gear lube in the transmission. i know some had said it was too thick... keeping in mind with a little heat after they start turning it does become quite fluid, and will stick to the gears really well. i think if used spareingly it might work.
Has anyone actually put this to the test?

thanks
Old 11-05-2018, 09:57 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

I haven’t tried that, but I always wanted to. I think it would be awesome if they made these gear boxes like real ones. Just a small puddle/level of oil at the bottom of the case, with them sealed up, and a small vent at the top. The gears would always have a nice coat on them when running. I rebuild and maintain large crane gear boxes and that’s how all of them are. It would be cool and beneficial I think.
Old 11-05-2018, 02:03 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

I think a benefit for the oil in the trans is the bearings will always be lubed. Especially if you remove just the inside shield of the bearings.
Old 11-05-2018, 03:44 PM   #7

I have the same thoughts on the transmission splash lube would-be great wondering how sealed the aluminum case is have a GPM on order as the axial plastic is grenaded...might just try some Lucas and see how it goes be a few weeks until parts start arriving....eventually I will have a complete XL once again totally stripped down to chassis and a pile of bits at the moment...

Thanks again for replys all info helps everyone with this monster have read just about 32 pages of threads here so far in the XL section tons in the scx section. Learned a lot...would not have purchased without reading this forum first. Thanks to all those with the knowledge provided.

Tags
yeti xl

Trans and diff lube - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TRX 4 2spd trans looks like no lube in this video willygee Traxxas Crawlers 3 07-28-2017 12:22 AM
Diff and trans/transfer case lube. 68_f100 General Crawlers 3 09-05-2014 02:34 PM
Diff Lube Drvnbeing Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 2 02-06-2009 11:39 AM
R2Ds- Lube? - Monster Lube worth it? gr33nlite Tamiya TLT Crawlers 2 12-14-2007 09:00 AM
What diff lube in a Twin Force? speedknot Kyosho Crawlers 0 09-12-2005 09:50 AM