Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: axial yeti 1/10 suspention setups

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2016, 08:12 PM   #1

Default axial yeti 1/10 suspention setups

i got my first yeti (kit version)a few weeks ago and i was wondering how everyone sets up there suspension? like shock points and link mounting points? any help would be great?! or point me to a web site or thread

THANKS!!
OXford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2016, 12:38 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: axial yeti 1/10 suspention setups

I'd be interested to see some of this too. I really want to stiffen up our Yeti, as this thing is "all sag, all the time." No rebound to speak of, no ride height either. Just wallowing around in its sag with 70wt oil and stock (kit) springs at full pre-load.
Fallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:11 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I am no expert, but i enjoy my yeti and feel like I am in control of where I want my yeti to go. Also, my suspension tuning is always getting tweaked here and there.
At the moment here is my setup: kit icon shocks
front shocks blue 70mm spring with 30 wt oil, shock shaft has medium sized end link, top position inner most hole, bottom position inner hole, soft exo front sway bar, front camber links are stock kit build recommended position(which I think is outer hole on the carrier and inner hole on the shock tower.
rear shocks red 90mm spring with 15 wt oil, bottom position is closest to chassis, rear upper links are in the upper hole on the chassis, stock rear sway bar

This is a fun setup for my bashing needs, my next tweak will be 90 mm white rear springs
Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 10:16 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

I went with 45wt in the front and 25wt in the rear with the icon shocks and was surprised at how easy it bottoms out just from me dropping it straight down. I was worried i built the shocks wrong as this is my first build but it sounds as this is a characteristic of this shock setup?
Tyr-Sog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 10:35 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

The biggest change for me was the rear upper links in the bottom holes, near no squat anymore. The Yeti even jumps better.
DenisLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 10:55 AM   #6
RCC Addict

40wt front and rear, stock Pistons. The front I've ran that way probably over 6 months. It settles great and absorbs the bumps good. The rear needed stiffened spring wise like everyone says so what I did is use a traxxas mini slash/revo spring under the associated random springs I found in my parts. The plastic separator is simply some old duratrax spring perches I believe. It fit both springs like a glove. Now they're dual rate and the stock springs compressed a bit more too. The far back shocks you see are just for looks. No Pistons or seals or oil. I have u4 raced with outstanding placement. Lately only trailing. Goes everywhere the wraiths do and in some cases does uphill better. Trying to provide some actual tech info.

Last edited by CrawlinMike; 02-10-2016 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Fixed rear Spring descrip.
CrawlinMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 09:37 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Hi guys, took my yeti for a first run last week - the rear end kept bouncing up while speeding over larger bumps. I built the kit and shocks according to the manual and have 35w shock oil all around. Have a tekin hd motor and 3s 7200mah hardcase lipo which probably adds a little weight. What are my options to fix this without loosing too much of the articulation? I was thinking most likely stiffer shocks (any reccomendations?) or maybe even dual rears as an option. Thanks.
littlebuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 10:45 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Have you tried stiffer springs and adjusting your shock angles? Bring some tools out with you when your running it to check different setups. I'm running the proline shocks all the way around on mine with 30wt front and 40wt rear. I do have plenty of extra weight in the rear of my rig with everything being upgraded to aluminum and HD gears though. What are you using it for. Speed or crawling? I've set mine up for speed and bashing so I'm not too worried about articulation.
shiftauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 01:15 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

I run it on flat but with some hills/mounds to climb over as well so I like to mix it up. The car is all stock kit version except for aluminum motor mounts and the large lipo. I may try to upgrade the rear springs - any recommendations on what level of stiffness?

I'll try the spring first, but may try to to adjust the shocks to be more upright so hopefully that will also help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftauto View Post
Have you tried stiffer springs and adjusting your shock angles? Bring some tools out with you when your running it to check different setups. I'm running the proline shocks all the way around on mine with 30wt front and 40wt rear. I do have plenty of extra weight in the rear of my rig with everything being upgraded to aluminum and HD gears though. What are you using it for. Speed or crawling? I've set mine up for speed and bashing so I'm not too worried about articulation.
Old 06-07-2016, 01:35 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

I run mine similar to you, speed, hill climbs, jumping, rough terrain but don't crawl. I have the rtr electronics and it didn't like it much when I tried crawling with a friends wraith. I'm running the 5" proline shocks for the yeti with the yellow upper and green lower spring. They're mounted in the rear most position on the VP lower trailing arm and the upper/rearward spot for the top of the shock. I've tried all the combos of hole placement and found this to be the best for my setup.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:30 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

I am actually waiting for my deuces wild foams, and one step firmer springs front and rear. I currently run 30wt on all 4 corners and feel this is not enough for how heavy these trucks are. All the guys in my area run 40wt in truggy shocks with a slightly harder spring rate than stock and seem to do well. As for the rear end kicking up all the time, that's the nature of the beast for the most part, you can stiffen up the shock oil to slow it down but what happens is the rear end will bounce, and quickly go through all of the available travel, and transfer into the chassis (go thicker shock oil to tame the jounce). When it comes to jumping, I can't tell enough yeti owners to roll into the jump at 3/4 and give it full throttle as it starts to leave the lip of the ramp. It works great in both my RR and TT.
Ty1330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 08:39 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Ty1330 is spot on with the throttle control. Once I figured that little 3/4 throttle thing out, I'm no longer afraid of launching the crap out of it anymore. I constantly send it 6 feet in the air and land it on the rubber not the roof.
Old 06-10-2016, 07:41 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 07:42 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

[QUOTE=mikemcE;5516646]I like the 35 weight in the rear, totally stiff now, upper links dropped

Last edited by mikemcE; 06-10-2016 at 10:31 AM.
Old 06-10-2016, 09:02 AM   #15
Rock Stacker

Thanks guys - it seems I will go with the white axial springs then - 2 steps above the stock rear springs. Or should I do red? one step above the stock rear spring weights?
Old 06-10-2016, 10:59 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

[QUOTE=mikemcE;5516648]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
I like the 35 weight in the rear, totally stiff now, upper links dropped
Did you put 35 in all 4 rear shocks? I tried a similar setup to what you have with 30 wt in all 4 rears and it was way too stiff.
Old 06-10-2016, 12:28 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Stock shocks 10 weight, no springs, rear 35, a bit stiff, am playing with springs next
Old 06-10-2016, 12:48 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

I was thinking about doing 10 in the ones without springs and 20 in the ones with springs if I decide to test it again. I'm not really sure how the dual shock setup adds or multiplies the dampening etc.
Old 06-10-2016, 02:13 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Dual shock just adds whatever wts together. Two @ 10wt= One @ 20wt I know.
CrawlinMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 04:12 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftauto View Post
I was thinking about doing 10 in the ones without springs and 20 in the ones with springs if I decide to test it again. I'm not really sure how the dual shock setup adds or multiplies the dampening etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawlinMike View Post
Dual shock just adds whatever wts together. Two @ 10wt= One @ 20wt I know.

Thats what I was taught.... I am running 45wt in my slash 4x4 I have always tuned for things the way that truck responds. This one may be too stiff out rear, I will find out soon

axial yeti 1/10 suspention setups - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yeti, Set, GO!!! FastEddy Bearings for the Axial Yeti FastEddy Axial Yeti 13 04-21-2015 07:33 AM
Yeti Located - Axial Yeti bashing eunique Scale Videos! 0 02-12-2015 08:42 AM
Yeti Located - Axial Yeti bashing eunique Scale Videos! 0 01-09-2015 02:10 AM