Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: The Yeti has landed. Battery question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2016, 11:56 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default The Yeti has landed. Battery question

My RTR Yeti arrived yesterday from Tower. What a difference from the SCX10 Deadbolt, it's a lot faster than I'm used to. I have a few Zippy hardcase 5000mah 3s batteries that I've been using on the deadbolt. They wouldn't fit in the Yeti, they were to tall to fit under the battery brace so I removed the brace. It fits perfect without the brace. Besides holding the battery down, is this brace giving the frame any support? I still have to make a short servo extension so I can connect the CC bec without cutting the wire on the throttle lead.
rstekeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2016, 12:20 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: The Yeti has landed. Battery question

Did you try adjusting the brace height? How tall is your battery?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstekeur View Post
My RTR Yeti arrived yesterday from Tower. What a difference from the SCX10 Deadbolt, it's a lot faster than I'm used to. I have a few Zippy hardcase 5000mah 3s batteries that I've been using on the deadbolt. They wouldn't fit in the Yeti, they were to tall to fit under the battery brace so I removed the brace. It fits perfect without the brace. Besides holding the battery down, is this brace giving the frame any support? I still have to make a short servo extension so I can connect the CC bec without cutting the wire on the throttle lead.
shiftauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 12:30 PM   #3

Should just be able to remove a few screws and adjust the bracket height to fit your battery and tighten the screws back down at the wanted height. I had to raise mine up a little when I changed from 2s over to 3s. You will want the battery to be braced down so it doesn't just fly around in there when you flip it.

Last edited by Hedsic; 04-27-2016 at 12:36 PM.
Hedsic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 12:41 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Those must be some big ass 3s packs.

Here is a 6500mah 4S in my Yeti with the top brace removed.

svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 06:27 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
Those must be some big ass 3s packs.

Here is a 6500mah 4S in my Yeti with the top brace removed.

There almost that big, the hard case makes them a little bigger. I already adjusted the bracket as high as it would and it just a little to big. I'm going to use a velcro strap. It's a nice car, I'm impressed.
Old 04-27-2016, 08:25 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Just wanted to make sure you knew it's adjustable. It is a fun rig for sure!!
shiftauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 07:03 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

I had to take the same route when using 3S hard cased packs...off with the battery clamp. My 3S packs fit snug in the tray, and they're only 4000mah packs. It's a pain in the butt when changing between motors and battery configurations. I've been putting off making some use of Velcro straps to make the job easier...especially if you got all kinds of battery packs like I do. Two straps should be enough.
RustyUs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 03:56 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Im using a 5200 mah lectron pro from common sense. It fits fantastic and has room to spare both length and height. It's a 60c pack I believe and has plenty of punch. The truck flips over backwards on stock gearing with traction even after running the pack for 30 minutes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
VenomousSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 07:04 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomousSVT View Post
Im using a 5200 mah lectron pro from common sense. It fits fantastic and has room to spare both length and height. It's a 60c pack I believe and has plenty of punch. The truck flips over backwards on stock gearing with traction even after running the pack for 30 minutes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I use the same batteries except mine are 50c. I was starting to wonder if I was using the wrong batteries after reading everyone else's 3s being a tight fit lol Mine leave a lot of room to spare still.
Hedsic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 08:42 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedsic View Post
I use the same batteries except mine are 50c. I was starting to wonder if I was using the wrong batteries after reading everyone else's 3s being a tight fit lol Mine leave a lot of room to spare still.
I bought the lectron because I couldnt find anything else in stock actually that was close to the same size. Ive been very happy so far with it
Old 05-02-2016, 06:37 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomousSVT View Post
I bought the lectron because I couldnt find anything else in stock actually that was close to the same size. Ive been very happy so far with it
I'm using these zippy's, had them for a couple of years and they're still going strong, but I did have to remove the bracket

ZIPPY 5000mAh 3S1P 30C Hardcase pack (US Warehouse)
Old 05-03-2016, 05:54 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
I'm using these zippy's, had them for a couple of years and they're still going strong, but I did have to remove the bracket

ZIPPY 5000mAh 3S1P 30C Hardcase pack (US Warehouse)
thats a great deal on a battery... its a shame its only 30c. I ran my truck on my eflite battery out of my 350qx2 and its 35c and the lectron at 60c i noticeably punchier.
Old 05-07-2016, 08:03 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

Quote:
...I still have to make a short servo extension so I can connect the CC bec without cutting the wire on the throttle lead.
You don't have to cut the wire on the esc to rx connection to run a bec.
Just take a tiny screwdriver (or razor blade edge) carefully pop up the plastic tab on the connector and pull out the "+ wire" pin (the Red one in the middle). Then use a piece of heatshrink or electrical tape to wrap the pin.

I do that on all my rc's with an external bec so that if I decide to change something it's as simple as popping the pin right back in.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by battery; 05-07-2016 at 08:06 AM.
battery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 06:22 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by battery View Post
You don't have to cut the wire on the esc to rx connection to run a bec.
Just take a tiny screwdriver (or razor blade edge) carefully pop up the plastic tab on the connector and pull out the "+ wire" pin (the Red one in the middle). Then use a piece of heatshrink or electrical tape to wrap the pin.

I do that on all my rc's with an external bec so that if I decide to change something it's as simple as popping the pin right back in.

Hope this helps.
i agree... i never cut one if I can help it.. i just pop it out as well.. takes about 5 seconds and can be returned back in 2 seconds

The Yeti has landed. Battery question - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yeti XL Battery Question stonecold Axial Yeti XL 2 02-11-2015 05:16 PM
Plane landed on top of Semi JasonInAugusta Chit Chat 1 12-10-2004 03:42 PM