Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: Yeti randomly turns off and back on

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2016, 11:41 PM   #1

Default Yeti randomly turns off and back on

I am having a very odd issue with my yeti. Stock esc/motor and I am currently using a fly sky receiver/radio combo. Fresh battery, I drive the truck and it will be fine and then randomly stop responding. Truck then jitters a bit, and doesn't respond to throttle/steering and sort of like reboots itself. Esc makes the noise that it does when it powers on and then it works again. Drive it for a minute and this repeats itself. I have also tried putting the factory receiver back in but when I do the truck will get no throttle response. Steering works normal but no throttle. Receiver is connected properly. I also have a total of 3 fans connected to the fly sky when it has this issue I'm not sure if that can cause it. One fan on the esc and two fans wired together into one connection for the motor.
g04lucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2016, 11:45 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Yeti randomly turns off and back on

It's probably the on off switch. Solder the two wires going to the switch together. Those switches usually go bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by lv-eg; 05-06-2016 at 11:57 PM.
lv-eg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 09:21 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Yeti randomly turns off and back on

The esc may be thermalling. When you experience this, are you crawling/ driving slowly? The sensorless motor likes to keep spinning. Start dropping speed, trying to crawl and temps will spike quickly. The stock gearing doesnt help either.

Solutions: Drop a few pinion teeth, get a sensored system or just keep your momentum up.
DeviledEggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 11:35 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lv-eg View Post
It's probably the on off switch. Solder the two wires going to the switch together. Those switches usually go bad.

That's what it was on mine. Acted exactly how OP described it. Jittering and restarting.

I also had the thermal issue when I first got my Yeti. The motor would stop working but the steering servo still worked just fine.

BTW the factory RX is Flysky compatible. I use the factory RX with a FS-GT3C TX.
gman350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 03:52 PM   #5

So I just wired the on off switch directly and it still does it. I would imagine it's not thermaling because I have a fan on the esc and 2 on the motor. I do have a temp gun though so at what temp does it thermal so i can check?
g04lucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 04:22 PM   #6

Does it do it in the first say 5 mins of running when the esc is cold?
I'm not sure exactly what temp it will shut down on thermal but it will feel pretty hot
Slowrider998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 05:22 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Temp gun is always your friend.
If the ESC/motor temperature is higher than 180F may be the reason.
Fans help but didn't make miracles.
DenisLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 07:05 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Long shot but check you solder joints on the esc side of the battery plug. Or if you changed the plug make sure it is making a good connection.
hatefulboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 07:06 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Get a temp gun and run it with the body off. As soon as it cuts off check the temp on the esc and the motor.

Also, have you updated the firmware on the esc with a castle link. Mine would get very very very hot while driving around, motor and esc, but I never had it fully thermal. I bought a castle fan for the esc and it did cool it a tad but let's face it, it isn't doing much. I did update my firmware and it does feel cooler to the touch. It's only very very hot now. Lol.

I still have to pick up a temp gun, I'm gonna order one Thursday (payday)

VenomousSVT is offline   Reply With Quote

Yeti randomly turns off and back on - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SCX10 Throttle Randomly Reversed... binns.mark Electronics 1 09-14-2014 12:48 PM
gt3c randomly turning off m1009cucv Electronics 5 09-24-2012 06:48 AM
My Honcho turns into a rubicon unlimited, no going back now northernerbill Axial SCX-10 91 04-20-2012 04:52 PM
Losi night crawler turns left when control turns rt Jophuss36 Electronics 3 07-09-2011 11:29 PM
quark/OG revolver overheating? randomly shutting down.. dieselfuel Electronics 8 08-21-2007 09:29 PM