Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: Yeti kit for 5 year old

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2016, 02:01 PM   #1

Default Yeti kit for 5 year old

Ok I have brought a yeti kit for my son to build together for his birthday and I got a wraith for my self

Its getting close to his birthday and I want to be able to build the kit and him playing without messing around, so a quick question. He has my old Tamiya tt01 with a 15t motor and a mtronicks viper esc, how fast would this be in the stock yeti running on 6s nimh battery's The 15t is too fast for him in the tt01 I also have a few Tamiya silver cans around.

For a crap comparison I have built my wraith with a 10.5t speed passion reverton s brushless combo on 2s and I find it slow, I'm thinking that's a good speed for my son.
Moderate jogging speed I'm looking for.

TIA
Rubber tutti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2016, 07:03 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Yeti kit for 5 year old

To put things into perspective, a 35T brushed/21.5T brushless motor on 2S LiPo would propel the Yeti to about 8 mph max using a 16T pinion gear.
550 sized 1950kv brushless motor would give you about 10 mph using a 2S LiPo pack.
550 sized 2600kv brushless motor would give you about 12 mph using a 2S LiPo pack.

Last edited by RustyUs; 10-16-2016 at 07:28 PM.
RustyUs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 12:36 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyUs View Post
To put things into perspective, a 35T brushed/21.5T brushless motor on 2S LiPo would propel the Yeti to about 8 mph max using a 16T pinion gear.
550 sized 1950kv brushless motor would give you about 10 mph using a 2S LiPo pack.
550 sized 2600kv brushless motor would give you about 12 mph using a 2S LiPo pack.
I'm guessing the yeti has a 16t pinion in the box, might have to swap it for the 12t from my wraith. Give my wraith a bit more speed and slow down the yeti for my little boy.

Thank you
Old 10-17-2016, 12:47 PM   #4

I run my yeti on 3s, with a 14t pinion
enough speed for my taste
nitromt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 10:58 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

What I do is limit throttle. Unfortunately you will need a radio that can adjust the throttle, I use a Futaba 4PL. You can even program memory just for your little one. I have this Traxxas Rally with an RX8 and Tekin Pro4 4600 motor on 2s set at like 35% for example for my 4 year old. He is now 7 and is driving my X-Maxx at full power on 6s. But I still limit my RC's most of the the time. Especially if we are around cars or people or whatever I feel comfortable. Then if I want to drive the RC at full throttle, its a quick change of the radio.

MaxxPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 07:12 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Having a transmitter with throttle EPA programming is a great way to limit throttle. I do that all the time when I have a platform with a little too much "umph", or handing over the controls to an inexperienced user.

Depending on what ESC a person has, more heat is going to be generated when limiting the throttle. Big and stoutly built ESCs will more than likely handle the extra strain of restricting energy flow to the motor. How much restricting a person does with throttle endpoint adjustment will also determine how much straining the ESC has to do. Variables like ambient temp and fans being used on speed controls come into play. This is where a IR thermometer is a very good friend to have with you. I've had an ESC reach it's overheat protection limit when using 50% maximum throttle setting on EPA. When I increased the throttle EPA on the transmitter to 65% ~ 70%, the overheat protection circuitry stopped being triggered, but I still had ESC temps around 165*F while not using a fan on ESC. Slowing down the RC's top end, using lower tooth count pinion gears, allows me to then bump up the throttle EPA to get my happy medium on everything.
RustyUs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 12:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxxPain View Post
What I do is limit throttle. Unfortunately you will need a radio that can adjust the throttle, I use a Futaba 4PL. You can even program memory just for your little one. I have this Traxxas Rally with an RX8 and Tekin Pro4 4600 motor on 2s set at like 35% for example for my 4 year old. He is now 7 and is driving my X-Maxx at full power on 6s. But I still limit my RC's most of the the time. Especially if we are around cars or people or whatever I feel comfortable. Then if I want to drive the RC at full throttle, its a quick change of the radio.
That's pretty good for a 4year old, my son for some reason likes going backwards and forwards as slow as he can followed by spinning the wheels against the curb. He's managed to brake the servo saver on my d tt01.
Old 11-15-2016, 12:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyUs View Post
Having a transmitter with throttle EPA programming is a great way to limit throttle. I do that all the time when I have a platform with a little too much "umph", or handing over the controls to an inexperienced user.

Depending on what ESC a person has, more heat is going to be generated when limiting the throttle. Big and stoutly built ESCs will more than likely handle the extra strain of restricting energy flow to the motor. How much restricting a person does with throttle endpoint adjustment will also determine how much straining the ESC has to do. Variables like ambient temp and fans being used on speed controls come into play. This is where a IR thermometer is a very good friend to have with you. I've had an ESC reach it's overheat protection limit when using 50% maximum throttle setting on EPA. When I increased the throttle EPA on the transmitter to 65% ~ 70%, the overheat protection circuitry stopped being triggered, but I still had ESC temps around 165*F while not using a fan on ESC. Slowing down the RC's top end, using lower tooth count pinion gears, allows me to then bump up the throttle EPA to get my happy medium on everything.
my son picked out a £45 stick radio that is very basic.

Anyway we have started the build and have come stuck. The yeti kit came with a pinion for a 5mm motor shaft so I need to order a pinion and building the rear shocks as per the manual the shock does not compress fully, I try opening the top cap and pushing some fluid out which works but when cycling the shock I can hear air. The fronts came out fine and so did all four on the wraith.

Yeti kit for 5 year old - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wraith Spawn Kit for 4 Year old (& Dad!) Aran1000 Newbie General 10 03-16-2016 04:14 AM
Want to Water Proof Axial Yeti XL For Year Round Fun! IIERIKII Electronics 9 08-23-2015 08:58 AM
New dingo kit - project 4 year old Efarrell Axial SCX-10 19 01-21-2014 12:22 PM