Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: Yeti Speed Control

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2017, 11:17 AM   #1

Question Yeti Speed Control

I'm looking for a way to reduce the all out speed of my Yeti. I see using a 2s battery rather than a 3s battery will reduce the top speed some. I also see a gears kit that creates a hi-lo gear switcher that's controlled by the 3rd channel on the radio. I haven't done a deep reading of the hi-lo gear switcher option, but will this option need me to also modify the motor and/or ESC since those parts are designed to work with the factory gear configuration?

Also, isn't there a way of controlling the top speed achievable in the radio itself?! I can't imagine there's not a way to program the radio to turn the servo only so far when you pull the throttle all the way on the radio.

I think the factory speed on this Yeti is amazing with my 3s battery, but I'm not going to be going anywhere near that speed out on the trails, rocks, rubble and obstacles.
nxnla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2017, 11:38 AM   #2

Default Re: Yeti Speed Control

Not sure what radio you are using but some radios have an EPA or end point adjustment that allows you to dial back the end point of the throttle.
You can also replace the pinion gear with a smaller pinion. For example if you have a 16t pinion you can replace that with a 10t pinion which will also reduce wheel speed. And yes as you pointed out switching to a 2s lipo will also reduce wheel speed.

I wouldn't install the 2 speed kit unless you specifically want the 2 speed option.

Good luck!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
daBigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 11:45 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

if you're using a RTR yeti, the stock speed control is fully tunable with castle link. You can tune the overall power, punch, etc to get your yeti performing exactly like you want it to.

No servo has anything to do with your speed in an rtr yeti, the motor is controlled directly by the esc.
DukeMinnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 12:03 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

With the factory radio, I don't think there's much you can do. If your radio has an exponential adjustment, you can move more of the speed further up the trigger travel.

Some radios had a mechanical limiter that prevents the trigger from being pulled the entire travel, but I've not seen that in years.

The ESC can be adjusted with the castle link cable and software.

The 2s battery is definitely going to be easier to drive, and put less heat into the ESC and motor. Same with a change to a smaller pinion.

The 2-speed option is what sold me on the yeti, and can be configured to give you less than half speed in low gear. Low gear is great for when my 10-year-old wants to blast around in the back yard for a bit, and for me it takes the 3s strain off of the ESC and motor when on the rocks and trails. The throttle response is distinctly different in low gear.

If you are on a tight budget, try dropping the pinion down, usually in steps of three, and see how it works for you.
DavidH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 12:06 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidH View Post

The ESC can be adjusted with the castle link cable and software.

The 2-speed option is what sold me on the yeti, and can be configured to give you less than half speed in low gear. Low gear is great for when my 10-year-old wants to blast around in the back yard for a bit, and for me it takes the 3s strain off of the ESC and motor when on the rocks and trails. The throttle response is distinctly different in low gear.

If you are on a tight budget, try dropping the pinion down, usually in steps of three, and see how it works for you.
castle link if you buy it off the website is less than 20 dollars and makes for all but infinite adjustability... It's the must have for any owner who has an esc that is programmable using it.
Old 09-25-2017, 03:29 PM   #6

Ok, I need to dig a little deeper before asking questions on this forum. I finally understood what the instruction manual was talking about. I have a Tactic TTX300 for a radio. I figured out the throttle limiting feature. Sorry bout that.
Old 09-25-2017, 03:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeMinnix View Post
No servo has anything to do with your speed in an rtr yeti, the motor is controlled directly by the esc.
Yup, misspoke on that one! ESC!
Old 09-25-2017, 04:07 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by nxnla View Post
Yup, misspoke on that one! ESC!
no worries buddy, I got into this in June and have kinda dove in head first, just happened to know the answer to this question. But seriously, do yourself a favor and get the castle link. You'll be amazed at how it can unlock things in your ESC tuning you had no clue because the axial ESC is a unit Axial commissioned Castle to make for them.
Old 09-25-2017, 05:33 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

If buying the Castle Link, get the Field link card and cable, as this will work both in the field and with your computer, whereas the link will only work with your computer, and they can be (depending on where you purchase) almost the same price.
DavidH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 08:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeMinnix View Post
no worries buddy, I got into this in June and have kinda dove in head first, just happened to know the answer to this question. But seriously, do yourself a favor and get the castle link. You'll be amazed at how it can unlock things in your ESC tuning you had no clue because the axial ESC is a unit Axial commissioned Castle to make for them.
Yeah, this is a hobby I REALLY shouldn't be picking up at the moment, but oh well. I've been bitten. It turns out the Tactic TTX-300 has a programming function for the ESC, but it's kinda convoluted in my opinion. I'm going to definitely check out the Castle Link (field ver) as that reminds me of rooting my old Galaxy Note 1 back in the day!

Yeti Speed Control - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Speed control? sickboyboone Newbie General 7 06-01-2020 11:01 PM
Yeti xl speed control questions sanny632 Axial Yeti XL 0 03-19-2015 10:22 PM
speed control:( ryan1/18crawler Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 4 02-09-2010 02:01 PM
single speed setup vs. speed control traxxas junky Electronics 18 08-28-2007 11:28 PM
Speed Control TLTforME Newbie General 5 05-16-2006 04:49 AM