Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: More steering?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2018, 09:59 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default More steering?

Spent the day building my yeti. Full optioned build, VP rack/arms, bearings, turnbuckles, etc. Accpetable amount of slop...

Before I just attack it with the dremal, are there any threads or mods for getting more steering?

There looks to be a few spots that could be modded, but I haven't seen anyone post about mods to get more, just fixing what's there.
whitrzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2018, 12:26 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: More steering?

I've not seen a definitive thread on steering mods.

You may tweak a bit more by removing some material from the diff case, but for me the 2.8 wheels I use already hit the suspension at full lock.

A bit of toe in will counter the ackermann geometry to give a bit more turn in on the outside wheel.

Following that, consider rear steering. An easy bolt-on, but requires a rear servo that is as good or better than what you have on the front.

DavidH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 02:32 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Spent some time modifying things today.

With the janky design you need a 400oz+ servo because it needs a longer servo horn to get the throw required. Too big of a servo will hit the rack and limit steering too.

Aluminum caster blocks would be a good investment too... I'm not sure if the plastic will hold up or not.

Rack hits the chassis. Where it starts to raise up

Caster blocks limit knuckles, a lot

Rack rubs the under side of the bulkhead by the driveshaft, just a little
Rod ends hit the bulkhead.
Rack can hit the servo ear of the servo depending on size. My normal sized servo rubbed just a bit.

Stock

Not stock

whitrzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 11:28 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Did you measure before and after steering degree angles? This is something I've been meaning to tackle.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 04:40 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Factory steering linkage from the servo is too short. That's why it likes to pull the rod ends off too.
Rumpelhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 12:51 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelhardt View Post
Factory steering linkage from the servo is too short. That's why it likes to pull the rod ends off too.
I replaced the turnbuckle with a longer length of threaded rod, and it has not broken since.

DavidH is offline   Reply With Quote

More steering? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Steering/Alignment Problem After Install RPM Steering Knuckles? Barzan724 Newbie General 2 01-21-2016 06:32 PM
Idea for scaler steering... Need ideas for building a steering box. JavelinSST390 General Scale Talk 25 05-14-2015 02:32 PM
inside tyre touches steering knuckle / steering linkage murky123 Axial SCX-10 4 10-06-2010 04:46 PM
Hot Racing Steering knuckles - more steering than the original plastic ones? Tomy Axial AX-10 Scorpion 1 11-16-2008 11:26 AM