Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > West > California

Notices

Thread: Places near Long Beach?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2009, 07:08 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Places near Long Beach?

Does anyone know of some places near Long Beach to get some practice in for a newbie to rock crawling? Some place where I might not be embarrassed.
Norris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2009, 07:40 PM   #2

Look around San Pedro on the west side of the harbor, it's all rocky cliffs. Or Seal Beach Breakwater. I know Royal Palms State Beach is all rocky, it's on the other side of Pt Fermin Park.

Google Earth is your friend.
BoogerJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 04:49 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Norris never be embarassed to be around some fellow crawlers, You can pick up some pointers, and check out various rig set ups. Im not familar with Long Beach area. Check the boards there are a few guys in that area though.
towtruckmikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 05:41 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

I second Towtruck. It's all for fun, when it comes down to it!
hamnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 02:03 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norris View Post
Some place where I might not be embarrassed.
you mean like from adults that would think you're too old to be playing with toys? So no parks then, lol.

Royal palms is close enough...
Has some nice terrain, jagged rocks.

there must be something near naples island. in fact, check google maps for long beach, then zoom in on naples island. hit Satellite and looks like there's a spot on the south side of the bay, where it opens to the ocean. end of 1st street is a parking lot and looks like rocks along the water.
pantablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:52 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogerJones View Post
Look around San Pedro on the west side of the harbor, it's all rocky cliffs. I know Royal Palms State Beach is all rocky, it's on the other side of Pt Fermin Park.
As soon as I paint my SCX10, I'll be heading down to these areas. My wife and I walk down there all the time. Royal Palms would be the easiest as you can pay a couple bucks and park down there. Most other places around San Pedro or PV, you'll need to hike a tad. You can even park at the Trump golf course and there are trails leading down to the water from there.

As for LB, I think any place along the water would be fine. Wherever they have rocks piled up like down in the marina or something.
Sydwaiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 09:59 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Default long beac

Thanks everyone for the ideas. The satelite maps sounds like a great way to find places. I have been into nitro for years and I was one of those who hated "Electric" and with a park accross the street from me, it has been very easy to play when I want.
Went to the Pomona show and got hooked on rock crawling. Went home and ordered a Scorpion kit, after a lot of research and a lot of $$$ in upgrades before I had even driven the crawler I discovered.... I had no idea where I was going to drive this thing.... so far it has been over planters, steps, living room furniture and free usps shipping boxes pilled up. So actual rocks is going to be a real treat.
Thanks all.........
Old 05-05-2009, 12:19 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Default long beach

I did the map Quest aerial view and Seal Beach looks like a possibility near the parking lot by 1st. street. I did also find the Royal Palms spot. Close is best for me, I have a bad hip and walking too far is difficult.
Has anyone built a back yard coarse?
I built a portable 350 gallon fish pond a few years ago, out of styrafoam and fiber glass that looks like rock. I would love to try the same thing for rock crawling, but I would first have to get rid of the pond.
Thanks all...
Old 05-05-2009, 01:29 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

If you have a bad hip then Royal Palms would be the easiest up this way from where you are. Pay at the top and park at the bottom. It's cheaper the earlier you get there. And don't worry about being embarrased. I'm sure mine will be taking a tumble or splash many times. All I've done so far is chase my dog in the house the other night and pound on the bathroom door when my wife was in there!
Sydwaiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 06:40 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Default .....

Thanks Sydwaiz, I might get down there this weekend. I am waiting for a bug body from CKRC, but it got caught up in the USPS it went from Reno to Bellflower, CA and then some idiot sent it to St. Paul Minnesota and left there on the 4th. I ordered it on April 24th. so who knows when it will show up. I planned on using the stock body anyway till I get better and due less damage.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:09 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Default pantablo

Hey I just got back from the place Pantablo spotted at the end of 1st. Street in Seal Beach at the parking lot. It's pay parking but at a machine so I just parked and looked around. Rocks are great and if you go parallel from the water instead of up and down on the rocks.. you could crawl till your battery goes dead, probably quarter of a mile. All the deep spaces between the rocks are filled in with dirt/sand so you won't lose your crawler inbetween them. It's only 5 miles from my house, so I can get down there at lunch time when it's not crowded.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:25 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Default Seal Beach

Finally got down to Seal Beach jetty and it was on a sunny Sunday, there was still parking available, $3 for 2 hours. Lots of people but once I hit the rocks I didn't feel to much like an old man with a toy. Had a lot of fun and learned some of what my rig can and can not do. Here's a shot of the area.
Oooopps, guess I didn't understand how to insert an image.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:10 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Hey I just got back from the place Pantablo spotted at the end of 1st. Street in Seal Beach at the parking lot. It's pay parking but at a machine so I just parked and looked around. Rocks are great and if you go parallel from the water instead of up and down on the rocks.. you could crawl till your battery goes dead, probably quarter of a mile. All the deep spaces between the rocks are filled in with dirt/sand so you won't lose your crawler inbetween them. It's only 5 miles from my house, so I can get down there at lunch time when it's not crowded.
Cool, sounds EXACTLY like the marina del rey spot I go to, right up to the parking, lol...

edit:
this is marina del rey
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVTpjBJQKZM

Quote:
Oooopps, guess I didn't understand how to insert an image.
you have to host it on photobucket or similar, unless you have a star here (pay for it) then you can attach images directly.
pantablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 12:09 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Default Seal Beach

Pantablo, thanks for the info on images. I have no problem supporting this site. It has been very helpful with my newbie-ness to rock crawling. Now here is some pics of Seal Beach....
Attached Images