Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > West > California

Notices

Thread: Fresno County Scalers!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2011, 09:08 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Fresno County Scalers!

Where are you?!

I do not want to drive a billion miles to check out other scale gatherings around Sac town(which look fun!), or to go to a CVRC competition gathering(no offense!). I'm just into scaling!

I would like to plan a gtg for a scale trail ride and bash session somewhere around Fresno county. I like shaver lake, its got rocks, sand, and nice picnic area's that is very family friendly.

How about next month, when the heat drives us out of the house?

Say June 11th or 12th?
DrunkDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2011, 10:11 PM   #2
RCC Addict

I here you on the traveling part but if you cant get things rolling in Fresno you can check out the Team Lerk thread. Scale comps once a month
finishline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 05:52 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Nobody?

Team Lerk looks cool. The 240+mile drive doesn't.
Old 05-12-2011, 06:03 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I have the same problem here in Visalia. CVRC comps are a little to far to travel (except Bass Lake). I dont have a scale crawler except my wreckluse (more of a shelf queen though). Do have a AX10 based comp crawler ready to go. Good luck with a GTG.
NorZepol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:32 PM   #5
RCC Addict

I am looking into starting a scale GTG once a month or so. Maybe people would be willing to meet in the middle. I know Springville, Balch park area has some nice rock. I'll be starting a thread soon when I know all our scalers are done.
calikingcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:59 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkDriver View Post
Nobody?

Team Lerk looks cool. The 240+mile drive doesn't.
You are right Team Lerk comps are a blast and the 240 mile trip does suck. Good luck on geting some guys together. It is a real struggle in the begining but it will come togethaer if you are persistant.
finishline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:35 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorZepol View Post
I have the same problem here in Visalia. CVRC comps are a little to far to travel (except Bass Lake). I dont have a scale crawler except my wreckluse (more of a shelf queen though). Do have a AX10 based comp crawler ready to go. Good luck with a GTG.
Quote:
Originally Posted by calikingcrawler View Post
I am looking into starting a scale GTG once a month or so. Maybe people would be willing to meet in the middle. I know Springville, Balch park area has some nice rock. I'll be starting a thread soon when I know all our scalers are done.
Visalia is in the middle of fresno and bakersfield. I am more than happy to drive south, and meet you guys in the middle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by finishline View Post
You are right Team Lerk comps are a blast and the 240 mile trip does suck. Good luck on geting some guys together. It is a real struggle in the begining but it will come togethaer if you are persistant.
I was really thinking about going to the Finals at Utica, that was untill I filled the truck up with gas today for the grand total of $100. Gas hurts. . .
Old 05-17-2011, 07:07 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Default Scale

I'm in Visalia.

Think I'm up to 5-3/4 scalers now, no comp rigs except a retired Super from back when this site started up.

50-60 hrs/week at work plus a 2 yr old keep me from making too many crawling outings lately, but I still try to keep in touch.

Hopefully I'll make a run with you guys up in the Shaver area some time.
No spots here in Visalia, unless the lake is empty.
Rocky Point at Bass Lake is nice, but the lake has to be low.
Shaver area offers the best!

If I can get away I may run up there this Sat after work in my beater TJ just for the get away and some Shaver Lake Pizza!

-Jeff
HOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 05:39 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

What time would that be on saturday? I think I have a dinner I have to be at. I think that with this last rain the lake will be very near full, but there could still be some nice spots. I usually go to the 'Eagle point' day rec area, at least thats what I think its called.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:53 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Default Sat

If we make it it will be probably 2pm by the time I get there, wasn't planning on crawl'n, but that could be changed, just wouldn't have too much time to crawl (hour or so) with the family along.

The Shaver web cams look like the lake is quite full.
sierravisionsstock.com/sierravisions/sierra-nevada-webcams/

Is "Eagle Point" the first rec area lakeside off 168, lots of rocks and watercraft rentals?
Usually busy during summer.
If so, I've never crawled there, usually too many people.

During the fall, I head in to the day use area from the last launch ramp and the second road, I believe, dirt, very mild 4wd, will get you down to the beach if the lake's low, some fair crawl'n there.

But as you know, Wishon, Rock Creek Road, Dinky Creek Road & Bald Mountain offer some good crawl'n too.

Hard to believe r/c crawl'n isn't more popular down here with such awesome granite right up the mountain!

Anyway, I was planning on maybe a day trip with the family since I'm getting cabin feaver, but if you think you'll be up there I'll throw in a crawler, if not, send me a PM nest time you head up there and maybe I can make it.

-Jeff
Old 05-19-2011, 06:39 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSS View Post

During the fall, I head in to the day use area from the last launch ramp and the second road, I believe, dirt, very mild 4wd, will get you down to the beach if the lake's low, some fair crawl'n there.

-Jeff

That is eagle point, I think. . . In any case thats where I will be on Saturday then. Don't feel like you have to bring your crawlers, but I will be running around on the beach in that area with my RC's and I'll bring the wife along too.

I love camping at Courtright but its still under a couple feet of snow, and so is bald mountain.

This part of the sierras has such wonderful rock and terrain, I am curious why so few people choose this area for comps/gtg's.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:27 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

Looks like I'll be working Sat from 5am to noon, then head up there.
I'll try to head up & over to Eagle Point right away.
I'll be in a beat '02 Jeep TJ, blue / black on 33's.
-Jeff
Old 05-20-2011, 09:12 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

I'll be the only one out there with RC. I will have a big hat on too.
Old 05-21-2011, 07:36 AM   #14
Rock Stacker

Default Hat

I plan to leave work at 10am, should be there after lunch, bringing a Scaler and my son's r/c Jeep.
I'll be wearing a Cowboy Hat.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:13 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Had a great time! Now we just need a few others to join us!
Old 05-24-2011, 09:16 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

Default Great Time

You Bet, if anyone's local, they really need to make a full day trip up there, it's beautiful, relaxing, good crawl'n and good pizza in Shaver Lake.
Just make sure you let DrunkDriver and Hoss know so we can try and make it too!
Old 05-26-2011, 08:24 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkDriver View Post
Where are you?!

I do not want to drive a billion miles to check out other scale gatherings around Sac town(which look fun!), or to go to a CVRC competition gathering(no offense!). I'm just into scaling!

I would like to plan a gtg for a scale trail ride and bash session somewhere around Fresno county. I like shaver lake, its got rocks, sand, and nice picnic area's that is very family friendly.

How about next month, when the heat drives us out of the house?

Say June 11th or 12th?
You should check out Shaw and Blackstone. The fountains at the old Lotus dealer (circuit city). The left one is about 10 feet high and fun to crawl. At least it something to do in town. BTW there is no water running in it since the dealer ship went belly up.

vette66_00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 02:32 AM   #18
Rock Stacker

Never mind there has already been chatter about that location. Wish I would have seen somebody there on the numerous times we have been.
vette66_00 is offline   Reply With Quote