Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Hey, computer guys, i has question.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2008, 05:46 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Hey, computer guys, i has question.

So like i built a new rig about two months ago and had no problems with it until recently. Heres the specs in a nutshell: 4gb of ram, AMD athlon x2 black edition, dual 250gb HDD's, Windows XP, and zero cooling issues, and a ASUS 8600gts video card and a Asus M2N32 SLI Deluxe wireless edition mobo.

Basically after i built this rig i put my games on it, COD4 and played it just fine with no overheating issues. I stopped playing it for a while because school has been first on my list for now. So i figured, Hey, America's Army should run fine on this rig, so i ordered a disc cuz i didnt feel like waiting on the file DL. Well, it came in, I installed it, tried to play it, and the splash screen for it comes up for about 30-45 seconds then Blue screen. So im like WTF?! So i load up COD4 and the same thing happens. So now im thoroughly angered. Ive been putting off attempting to fix the problem till now because everything else works fine. So my question is, why is it that when i try to load up a game and play, it loads for a few seconds and goes to Blue screen and restarts?

Thanks guys.

Last edited by Mello_Yello; 01-11-2008 at 05:50 PM.
Mello_Yello is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2008, 05:50 PM   #2
K_B
I wanna be Dave

Done any recent Windows Updates? That might have something to do with it, but it's a longshot.
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 05:51 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_B View Post
Done any recent Windows Updates? That might have something to do with it, but it's a longshot.
No, i think i did one but that was when it worked fine..:?
Old 01-11-2008, 05:53 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Sounds like a gfx card driver issue or a DX9 issue.

I'd reload both.
Unholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 05:57 PM   #5
I'm a stupid C U N T!

A driver issue with the new game and Either the Video card or Sound card that is causing a irreversible error. I used to get errors like that Back when I as building 486, 3dFX, Sound Blaster 16 machines. You would think that most modern games would work with just about any hardware but everything moves so fast that by the time you do "real" R and D the product is obsolete
slobin3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 05:58 PM   #6
RCC Addict

what kind of power supply do you have? watt 250W 300W 1000W...
i had the exact problem with insane. went up a couple hundred watts works fine i had a 250 before now i have 400W. with all you fancy lights and what not your gonna need a power supply in the 1000 W
Kranberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 06:00 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Update your video drivers... And XP(unless its 64-bit) doesn't support 4gb of ram. Try removing the sticks in the secondary slots.
2JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 06:25 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Well, my xp is 64-bit, and i have a antec e-trio 650-watt psu. I will try to reinstall my gpu drivers and dx9 and see if that fixes it.
Old 01-11-2008, 06:38 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Download dx10 and try the beta nvidia drivers
CrawlnSlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 06:47 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

i cant use dx10 with windows xp.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:44 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

its a long shot, but i get the blue screen of death when i plug my ipod in, so i think its sompthing else, and a full system restore did not fix anything...

It is probably a driver for sompthing, unfortunately, i cant say what, since i dont know, nice comp BTW
SnailMail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 08:52 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Always driver...always damn you Microsoft.

1. Download newest driver from nvidia.com
2. Remove existing driver using the Hardware Manager
3. Reboot
4. If the computer finds new hardware, cancel
5. Install driver file from nvidia

If that doesn't work try swapping the memory sticks. I'd try it with just 2GB first. If that doesn't help try swapping the location of the RAM it has been known to help. Could also run MEMTEST.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 11:57 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryterror View Post
Always driver...always damn you Microsoft.

1. Download newest driver from nvidia.com
2. Remove existing driver using the Hardware Manager
3. Reboot
4. If the computer finds new hardware, cancel
5. Install driver file from nvidia

If that doesn't work try swapping the memory sticks. I'd try it with just 2GB first. If that doesn't help try swapping the location of the RAM it has been known to help. Could also run MEMTEST.
You peeps keep talking about the RAM being at fault, it has been working since i built it. And the blue screen isnt a hardware memory dump, its software, now i just need to find the problem..
Old 01-12-2008, 05:49 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

I also talked about a brand new driver install. Did you even try that?

If you know everything...WTF ask us.

Personally what I would do is format Windows and re-install. It's probably been awhile not a bad idea.
Old 01-12-2008, 06:03 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Here is what I do when having computer problems. The fastest way to track down problems that I have found.

Got to Google and do a search for your problem. Ask it in 7 or 8 different ways. Each time you do a seach by just changing the way you ask will bring up 100's of Forums where others have had the same issue. Just search around. I'm sure you'll find your problem.

Have you tried a System Restore yet? If they problem is new and you didn't have the problem a week or so ago. Just restore the system to when you knew it was fine. It's worth a shot.

I just had an issue with my add/remove screen. I went to remove my old CS2 program and the button to remove(Uninstall) wasn't there. All the programs where missing it. I did a search and found it is a common problem with windows. The system restore didn't work for in this problem thou. But it's worked in the past on other issues.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 09:24 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

first remove the new game.its drivers are fighting with the ones you already have.get your comp. working then download the game off the net. so you get the most current version.
thatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 01:48 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I also talked about a brand new driver install. Did you even try that?

If you know everything...WTF ask us.

Personally what I would do is format Windows and re-install. It's probably been awhile not a bad idea.
Alright asshole, id updated all my drivers before i posted that, and point out where i said i know everything.

Anywho. I will try a system restore to about a month ago and see if that works.
Old 01-12-2008, 03:34 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

You know its not a hardware issue but won't even try a common fix. You'd be shocked what a memory failure can look like in a Windows machine. I've had a memory failure look like I was over-over clocking a video card (white snow effects).

It could even be a video card memory problem, seen that a few times in the past on some 3D rendering PC's I used to work with.

Windows Update could have installed a new video driver, its so common for them to bugger things or add a line or two of code to an update that effects a driver. That is simply why I said to totally remove the driver, reboot then install. Most people just install on top of the older file, this will in many cases not cure all problems.
Old 01-12-2008, 04:53 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
You know its not a hardware issue but won't even try a common fix. You'd be shocked what a memory failure can look like in a Windows machine. I've had a memory failure look like I was over-over clocking a video card (white snow effects).

It could even be a video card memory problem, seen that a few times in the past on some 3D rendering PC's I used to work with.

Windows Update could have installed a new video driver, its so common for them to bugger things or add a line or two of code to an update that effects a driver. That is simply why I said to totally remove the driver, reboot then install. Most people just install on top of the older file, this will in many cases not cure all problems.
ll give that a shot too, ill uninstall all of my video drivers then reboot and reinstall and see if that works, thanks.
Old 01-12-2008, 06:43 PM   #20

Use a program called Driver Cleaner Pro to reinstall your GFX drivers. Uninstall, reboot in safe mode, run DCPro, reboot normally, run new GFX driver package.

I used to run XP 64bit and then I got smart, I run XP 32 bit now. Not many companies support XP64 and I highly doubt that you are using more than 2GB of memory at any one time.

PM me if you need any more help.
whoodie is offline   Reply With Quote