Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Crawler on a plane?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2008, 09:57 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Crawler on a plane?

anybody takin there crawin on a plane? should i take it as cary on? (AX10)
rockin92xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2008, 10:01 PM   #2
R.I.P. Chip

No, check it.
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 10:29 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

You can't get the battery's on the plane checked or carry on. So might as well ship the whole thing.
badltl510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 10:36 PM   #4
R.I.P. Chip

Quote:
Originally Posted by badltl510 View Post
You can't get the battery's on the plane checked or carry on. So might as well ship the whole thing.
Wrong you can take the batteries with you.

I always check the crawler and radio gear and carry on the batteries. If you check the batteries they get zapped and won't work right.

There is a new rule regarding Lipo's though so you may want to check into that if you use them.
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 10:37 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I was expecting some kind of "Snakes of a plane" parody?

I would ship it as well, I shipped mine to Cali last time out and it was sitting in my Mom's living room when we got there.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 10:41 PM   #6
Release your anger..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason View Post
Wrong you can take the batteries with you.

I always check the crawler and radio gear and carry on the batteries. If you check the batteries they get zapped and won't work right.

There is a new rule regarding Lipo's though so you may want to check into that if you use them.
Jason, if I'm not mistaken the new rule from the retarded TSA included Li-ions.
ThinkTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 12:33 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Looked into it a little further and you can bring some in carry on. But you would still probably be better off just shipping it. I know I would hate to go through security and they make me throw away packs.

This is what I read awhile back.

Effective January 1, 2008, the Department of Transportation (DOT) through the Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA) will no longer allow loose lithium batteries in checked baggage.

And here is a link on TSA's web page talking about what battery's are allowed and how they have to be packed/handled

http://safetravel.dot.gov/whats_new_batteries.html

Last edited by badltl510; 01-14-2008 at 12:43 AM.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:38 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

I have not heard of anything with regards to nimh but lithium are now limited

Quote:
New rules from the Transportation and Security Administration that take effect on January 1 ban travelers from carrying loose lithium batteries in checked baggage. Passengers are allowed to pack two spare batteries in their carry-on bag, as long as they're in clear plastic baggies.
Fortunately, you don't have to worry about the batteries that are already installed in the devices you're bringing. The TSA has said it's safe to check in items like a laptop or iPhone that already have the batteries in place.

The agency said that loose lithium batteries not installed in devices pose a fire risk to passenger planes. Recently, the National Transportation Safety Board could not rule out the possibility that lithium batteries started a fire in a plane at the Philadelphia National Airport last year, according to the Associated Press.

If you do plan on bringing spare batteries in your carry-on bag, be aware of some other rules: You can only bring batteries with an equivalent of up to 8 grams of lithium content. (Most batteries for cell phones and laptops meet this requirement.) And for lithium metal batteries, whether carried as a spare or installed in a device, batteries are limited to 2 grams of lithium metal.
newracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 01:46 AM   #9
RCC Addict

I checked mine and had no troubles (well, the airline sent it to the wrong airport, but that would have happened no matter what was in it) I don't have li-po batts though.
chrisjlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 07:46 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

well im just running the little elite 1500 so there easy to carry and NiMH. But i cant decied wether to ship it or take it with me. shiping from VA to Washington aint cheap but i dont want to have any issues at the airport.
rockin92xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 09:48 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Depending on what city you travel to and from you may or may not have an issue. I took my ax10 with me on a trip to Wilmington NC from here (cincinnati/northern ky airport) and the hard-ons at my airport were having none of it. I ended up just tossing my 1500 split pack because I guess it looked like a bomb and they were not going to let me through with it. I bought a new pack once I got to NC so I could run it there and on my way back the people at the Wilmington Airport had no problems with anything. I guess maybe it was because Wilmington is a smaller airport, or they don't have their heads too far up their own asses.
ky_18b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 09:50 AM   #12
~THE SCALE SHOP~

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post
I was expecting some kind of "Snakes of a plane" parody?

I would ship it as well, I shipped mine to Cali last time out and it was sitting in my Mom's living room when we got there.
me too. and im not leaving until i see at least a trailer........
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 01:46 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
me too. and im not leaving until i see at least a trailer........
racer32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 02:25 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by badltl510 View Post
I've taken batteries on planes numerous times, both checked AND carry-on (Southwest). Granted, they weren't rc batts, they are for electronic equipment. But they are Li-Ions and 4-5x the size of rc batts. All I've ever had to do is take them out of my carry-on bags so they can wipe them with that little round swab and stick it in their bomb sniffing machine. They only make a fuss because it shows up as a large black spot on the x-ray.

So unless you also handle explosives before you pack your batteries, you should be fine...

If at all possible, I'd carry the crawler on the plane, if you can take it apart and fit it safely into a backpack or something. I've seen how they treat carry on bags - even when labeled "Fragile"
jbrandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 08:27 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrandt View Post
I've taken batteries on planes numerous times, both checked AND carry-on (Southwest). Granted, they weren't rc batts, they are for electronic equipment. But they are Li-Ions and 4-5x the size of rc batts. All I've ever had to do is take them out of my carry-on bags so they can wipe them with that little round swab and stick it in their bomb sniffing machine. They only make a fuss because it shows up as a large black spot on the x-ray.

So unless you also handle explosives before you pack your batteries, you should be fine...

If at all possible, I'd carry the crawler on the plane, if you can take it apart and fit it safely into a backpack or something. I've seen how they treat carry on bags - even when labeled "Fragile"
Read the entire thread I was talking about the changes since Jan 1st of this year. I doubt you have been on planes numerous times in the last 15 days. I also posted the link to TSA's web site where they talk about it.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:34 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Sorry... I misunderstood.
Attached Images

Unholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 04:22 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Default plane rules

wuzz up
richardgarrett56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 06:16 PM   #18

Hey I would say that your best choice would be to find the numbers to the airports security and ask them specifically. That would be the most sure fire way to figure it out. Could be a difficult task though. darn automated call receiving.
HingedMosquito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:03 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

I carry all my gear on the plane every time I fly. Batteries and rig. All I do is remove all the batteries, from the transmitter also, and put them in a separate bag. I then put the rig(s) I'm taking into a backpack. The batteries I use are NiMH, so maybe that's why they don't stop me? I even carry on the pistol type radios. I live in the Washington D.C. metropolitan area and they let me through the security screens both at Reagan and Dulles, as well as the airports where I'm traveling to. They do a routine check(ie. bomb scan, body scan/pat down, etc.) and they like check things out and look the gear over, but it doesn't take much time.

Here's a check list I pulled off another forum:

The TSA agents are pretty decent at recognizing a Radio Controlled model. I have taken my boats flying a number of times, both before and after 9/11. Here's the steps I take:

Build a special case for the boat, that looks professional.
Make sure the case is easy to open.
Have the hull screws or latches undone, so you can quickly open the boat up for inspection.
Remove the batteries, and put them in checked luggage.
Remove the stem from the gas storage tank, if it's a gas boat.
Have your transmitter in carry-on luggage, with the batteries removed.
Do NOT try to carry on or check Propel or any other gas.
Have an issue of The SubCmmittee Report in the case with the transmitter. *Boat magazine might work.
Tell the TSA screener what's in the case BEFORE you put it on the x-ray belt.
Offer to open the case and show them before they ask you to.
Remind them nicely to please be careful as it's an expensive model.
Plan to spend an extra 5 to 10 minutes showing the screeners the boat, and allowing them to ask questions to make sure it's safe.
Be courteous, open, and honest with the TSA folks. If you tick them off, it can become very unpleasant. Don't ask me how I know this.......

Edit: OH SHIZ! This thread's nearly three years old!

Last edited by Blazerbogger; 07-12-2010 at 10:07 PM.
Blazerbogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:40 AM   #20
RCC Addict

I just went to FL from Reno last month and i brought my LCC with me as carry-on with 5 lipo's, charger, rig, radio(w/ batts in it). All they did was wipe it down with some BOMB whip. It was no trouble at all. I just put my tools in our checked bags.
stubs179 is offline   Reply With Quote