Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Damaged In Shipping: Who Should Claim?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2008, 08:09 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Damaged In Shipping: Who Should Claim?

The story:
I order a body from UltimateHobbies (who A LOT of us have dealt with in the past), and it shows up last Friday (1/14) crushed.:-( I look through FedEx's site, but without a tracking number, I can't do anything. So, I email UH over the weekend, and don't hear back Mon or Tue. I email again late Tuesday night, and get a reply Wed afternoon.

"Hello,

The fedex# is xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.
Call Fedex and file a claim.
Keep all shipping materials."

Now, I have to go through the claim process, which includes producing a file of their confirmation page, a pic of the shipping label, and a digital copy of the invoice...............then send it off to FedEx, and they reply that they will contact me in 5-7 days. Now I am looking at having a non-damaged body probably 2.5-3 weeks after I expected one.

Now, this isn't any huge deal or anything............but should I (the customer) have had to be the one to try to correct this situation? I know in my industry, I wouldn't be able to get away with telling a contractor to go handle it themselves. Should UH have offered up anything to try to resolve this? We aren't talking a big ticket item here, just a $25 body.

Just wondering.....................
Attached Images

Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2008, 08:17 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

i would think you should be able to return it to UH...they would replace it ,then they would file the claim.....awhile back i worked for a motorcycle aftermarket parts company in ship/rec. and we were the one's that had to file the damage claim after replacing the customer's part ( we dealt with a lot of fiberglass body parts that were always getting damaged)

Last edited by TIMZKRAWLER; 01-23-2008 at 08:21 PM.
TIMZKRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 09:25 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

i would think this should be up to Ultimate Hobbies to figure out not you.
twisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 09:34 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

I have actually dealt with a couple situations like this and I have dealt with FedEx's claim system. Its actually not Ultimate Hobbies fault that FedEx crushed your body, its FedEx's deal. If the body was damaged before it left UH, then yeah UH should take it back as a return... I have filed a couple claims and its not that bad. I always got my insured amount back from them...

My two cents

Good Luck
racer32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 02:20 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Just curious - did they ship it in a box or just a large padded envelope?
Mad Scientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 05:51 AM   #6
On the lookout for Rocks

Here's the box (I suppose) that is was shipped in

constantmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 06:16 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I would expect UH to take care of it. I got a couple of bodies damaged in transit from Tower, after calling them I had a couple new bodies on the way and got to keep the damaged ones. Might cost a little more, but when something like this happens the expense is worth saving the hassle.
Thorsteenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 08:29 AM   #8
Powered by Awesome

the shipper has to file the claim. if you call fedex.. they will tell you the same thing.
TwistedXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 08:52 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedXT View Post
the shipper has to file the claim. if you call fedex.. they will tell you the same thing.
So true, but me tell you my story........................

To describe my mood right now as "livid" would be an understatement!!

Once I had a chance to sit in front of the computer, I go to FedEx.com to look into filing my claim. After entering the tracking number and delivery date, the next screen you get asks if I am the shipper or the receiver..................I check the box that says I am the receiver. I then go through the entire process of making the claim, which includes digitally copying a claim form and filling it out digitally so it can be emailed, taking pictures of the damage and editing them to email, and taking pictures of the shipping receipt and editing that to email, and scanning the invoice and editing it to email. When all was said and done, I probably had an hour of computer work into filing this claim.

I click the "submit claim" button, and get the message that I should hear from FedEx in 5-7 days. Now, I provided a phone number and email address in this process......................but does FedEx use either? Nope, they send a letter via snail mail. So, after 7 business days, I get this letter left at my shipping address:

Yep, as the receiver, I can't file the claim!!! Call me crazy, but as soon as I checked the box that stated I was the receiver, a dam big ol' pop-up should have made it's way onto my computer screen stating that I couldn't make the claim!!!! No where in the computer claim filing process does it state that only the shipper can claim!!! Why on earth would FedEx allow a receiver to continue to file a claim if this is going to be the response?!?!?!

And you know what, I bet this isn't the first shipping problem that has come up with FedEx and UH.................yet UH's response to my inquiry was to basically tell me to deal with it, and file the claim with FedEx myself.

So, right now, if it all worked out perfectly, UH would file the claim early next week, then FedEx would take at least 5-7 days to take responsibility, and then UH would take at least another week to deliver me a new body. At best, I am looking at another 3+ weeks for the simple little rc body I wanted.:-(

And when said and done, fawk UH!!!! They should have stepped up and had me return the damaged body in exchange for a new one.............and then them deal with the FedEx claim. They did nothing but put the responsibility on the customer while they sat on their asses!!!!

The couple of emails that will be going out tonight are going to be interesting to say the least!!!!
Old 02-01-2008, 10:15 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Yeah, its not really UH's fault that Fedex crushed the box on you. They were the ones handling it when it left the store. But still, you purchased a product from them and you are the customer. They should have taken some initiative to help you out. That box it was packed in looked sort of weak and was obviously crushable. They probably should have used a sturdier box to ship that body with. Were there any "FRAGILE" stickers stuck to the box ? If not .. why not.

I wonder what would happen if you clicked on "shipper" vs "receiver" when filling out that online form? .... lol.
Nerve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 01:15 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

This happened to me to with tower. I have had 2 bodies on separate occasions show up damaged. The only thing I had to do was call tower and they sent me a new body no questions asked. And I got to keep the damaged ones

Last edited by cyberhog05; 02-02-2008 at 01:18 PM.
cyberhog05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 01:33 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

A good vendor or store would want to do what ever it takes to satisfy the customer. Even if it takes sending a replacement and handling the fedex claim themselves. Just my 2 cents.
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 08:08 PM   #13
RCC Addict

On 2/5/08, I received this from UH:

"Hello,

Sorry for any problems that you have had.
When we dealt with UPS, UPS took care of it that way.
We switch to FEDEX and we were not aware of the difference.
You happen to be the first person to encounter that problem.
We will send out a replacement body with a return tag.
Just put the damaged body in the box and put the tag on it.
Then ship it out.
Sorry again.

Thank you"

On 2/26/08, I sent this to UH:

"Do you have a tracking number for this package? It
has now been three weeks, and still no body.

Robb"

I have not received any communication from UH since their email on 2/5. Today is 3/5, and I haven't received a body or a reply to my email sent on 2/26.

In all my years on the internet, UH has now become the worst online retailer I have ever dealt with!!!!