Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Cell phone Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2005, 12:33 PM   #1

Default Cell phone Help

Hey guys Im coming home in 20 days and I need to get a new cell phone. since i am obviously alittle out of date with the recent cell phone offers and such, I was wondering if you guys could give me some recomendations on phones and plans. I would like these features:

unlimited in-coming calls
Min 400 minutes
under 65$ a month
unlimited nights and weekends

i was also thinking about a nextel, but they were funky when I had one before I left really big and bulky, but reliable so i guess its a trade off. Well give me your recomendations and suggestions if you can, thanks.

chris
lodikrawlingkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-2005, 02:15 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Have had no problems with Verizon. Cust svc is awesome. Wife went over 240 minutes one month and they credited all of it minus $20. 220 bucks returned without a even hitch.

Steer clear of Nextel. Cust service sucks soo bad and coverage is sketchy at best.
FrankyRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 04:06 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I have the Motorolla V551. Very nifty, I can take videos w/ sound and pictures. Has aim and many other features. Always get great reception and have not had a problem with it. And i am on the 1200 mins /month w/ roll over.
sean_lv_crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 04:22 PM   #4
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

I love my T-Mobile Sidekick 2! The voice quality is amazing and the customer service is very good.

Ohh and I HATE nextel. I had a nextel phone (I90c from work) for the last 8 years and I would constantly have dropped calls and shitty signals. The only reason why I kept the phone is because worked payed the bill.

Last edited by badger; 06-06-2005 at 04:27 PM.
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 04:44 PM   #5
MODERATOR™

Do you talking into that huge thing Badger?

Am I that phone ig'nant?
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 05:40 PM   #6
R.I.P. Chip

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger
I love my T-Mobile Sidekick 2! The voice quality is amazing and the customer service is very good.

Ohh and I HATE nextel. I had a nextel phone (I90c from work) for the last 8 years and I would constantly have dropped calls and shitty signals. The only reason why I kept the phone is because worked payed the bill.

jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 07:15 AM   #7
Web Wheeling

I have a sanyo VM4500 phone from Sprint and I love it. It gets reception in places where all my friends have no bars at all. And its very clear.

And on Nextel, Spring recently bought them out and will be phasing them out in a year or so from what I last heard. So you may want to avoid Nextel. You do not want to end up with a phone that is useless in a year.
Etype R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 09:04 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Well, I work for Cingular, so I am a little biased.

As far as phones, you can't beat the Nokia for reliability.
T-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 10:20 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Went to nextel not long ago.

Sounds to me like you want the Free incoming call package.
Thats what I have and have had noproblems.
The Motorola i730 is the phone I have, Very good and Hasnt dropeed signal nowhere near as much as the other provider used at work.

The only thing I dont like about nextel is the price of there phones.
Other then that I am very happy.
rindaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 10:22 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rindaen
the Free incoming call package.
That is the only good thing about Nextel. It works very well for business.
FrankyRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 01:02 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rindaen
Went to nextel not long ago.

Thats what I have and have had noproblems.
The Motorola i730 is the phone I have, Very good and Hasnt dropeed signal nowhere near as much as the other provider used at work.

The only thing I dont like about nextel is the price of there phones.
Other then that I am very happy.
Ya, just don't try to leave the city limits, or go to a down town area and keep your call up.

Nextel can be good, but it is not a good provider compared to the other 2 big units....Oh the big provider.... Cingular bought the 2nd best provider.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:12 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

cingular - 49.99 a month 900 anytime/rollover minutes and nights/weekends free and free mobile to mobile calling with any cingular customer... I have a v550 right now and I think it kind of sucks.. I dont think i am a big fan of Motorola phones... I think my next one is either going tobe a black berry or the new nokia flip coming out soon...
86ss1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 01:47 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

I work with the RF group alot, and my wife use to work in the RF department here in NTX. Right now, if you are going to buy a phone, buy a Nokia, or Samsung. They have the best RF and sound quality of all the phones.

As for the Blackberry, they are nice, and several of my friends that are in sales use them and really like them. But, they are not really a good phone. Great for data, just not as friendly as a phone. That's not saying they are bad phones, but their purpose is for data, and it is really bulky to use as an every day phone.
Old 06-07-2005, 02:38 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger

T-Mobile also has 1000 minutes for $39 a month. Not sure if that includes nights and weekends or not. I have the TM-150 and love it. Got the data cable and have it hooked up to my laptop. INTERNET ANYWHERE. I think the internet is 20 a month but its unlimited.
Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 09:10 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

I have had almost all of the providers but have stuck with nextel for over a year now. I had a I530 but it sucked and now have a I355 and I get signal alot of places others wont and never have had an issue dropping due to driving even in most the hills around here. Alot has to do with the model of phone you get on the signal issues. But then again nothing beats the old motorola book phones :P.
ManiacMagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 07:12 PM   #16
RCC Addict

I have T-Mobile. It seems to be good everywhere except my house, which is a pain sometimes. My phone is somewhat out of most peoples price range, though.

It's out of my price range, as well, but I somehow have two of them! They were freebies from my mother-in-laws work.
BlueMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 07:22 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Well I was with Cingular before Nextel.

Cingular service was OK , had issues with Phone warrantys.
I went to the store I bought the phone at and because my contract was over , they made ME call the warranty shop and wait on a phone to be mailed to me while I had no working cell phone.
Then they send me a different style phone without a carrying case.
I go to the store and am told they dont have a case to give me , I threatin to cancel my service and a miracle orccured when they found a case LOL

I have a work phone that uses cingular and my personal Nextel. Why both?
If the cungular does not have a signal the nextel does.
Nextel signal is great In Atlanta and even worked for the most part in the mountains of Tennesee. A few signal issues driving in the mountains , but thats to be expected from any phone.

I can say that Nextel service is Excellent in Georgia.
And could really care less how it works elseswhere , Cause I Aint there

Later
rindaen is offline   Reply With Quote