Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: I kan spel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2008, 06:51 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default I kan spel

For the horrible spellers here, is it funny to you to spell like you never went to school, or are you just inherently a bad speller?

Well if it's the latter, try this, it might help!

http://www.badspelling.com/

I'm starting to think the current generation of kids are starting down the path of turning this society into something from Idiocracy (the movie).
wyattburp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2008, 07:01 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Most of them are purely lazy and just don't give a crap. I know a few people in Australia, and they say it's much worse there. Students are even allowed to use text speak on school papers. :-(
2JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 09:13 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2JSC View Post
Most of them are purely lazy and just don't give a crap. I know a few people in Australia, and they say it's much worse there. Students are even allowed to use text speak on school papers. :-(
Sounds a lot like Orwell's "Newspeak".
Let keep'em simple them minds...

But compare to the thread where someone feel he's "soooo crazyyyy" in his ideas while the correct word would be... totally retarded...
Kinda like in the computer world people that where trying to use their -ball- mouse upside down to make it a track ball... No, you're not "crazy" like in "crazy genius", yes a lot of people thought about it before you, and yes they realized pretty fast that it was no good... so put your hands of the dremel and turn that mouse back in position...
Coligny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 12:30 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2JSC View Post
Students are even allowed to use text speak on school papers. :-(
Sounds like Ebonics. Its a shame we cant teach good ol' American English in our own country.
PROTOTYPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 01:03 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coligny View Post
Sounds a lot like Orwell's "Newspeak".
Let keep'em simple them minds...
Couldn't have said it better myself.
chrisjlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 01:22 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Upside down mouse = track ball? BRILLIANT!!! Why didn't I think of that? Or should I say? Y ddnt 1 thnk ov thet.
elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 07:36 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

With Mozilla Firefox it catches misspelled words and highlights them for you and will fix them. I love it.

It's not that I spell bad it is at times in a rush I go dyslexic though.
FrankyRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 09:09 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

There is spell check in the google toolbar too.

I've decided not to reply to people who don't take the time to make an attempt to use proper grammar and spelling. I can understand and deal with typos and whatever, but I don't have patience for textspeak and whatnot in the tech section.
JamboreeTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 10:16 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Passed all the test 100%
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 12:38 PM   #10
I joined the Band!

acaily ie caent speel woorthe a crep butt wheen ie tipe onn these weebesite mye speeeling poifiect
rockdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 01:30 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

My head hurts now, thanks...
Old 02-12-2008, 10:09 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
Passed all the test 100%
doesn't count if you use a dictionary! just kidding!

I know I'm a bad speller, that's why I live and die by spell check. Of course, the English language doesn't make it easy for people to spell "correctly". I definitely DON'T envy people who are trying to learn English as a 2nd language. There are SO many rules, exceptions to those rules, and then exceptions to the exceptions. Then there's the "just because" rules, too. I don't blame people who don't spell every word correctly, but come on! you know that red squiggly line under those words (txt, doodz, cmn)? That means you spelled it wrong - FIX IT!!!

And then there are the people who apparently missed the day in school when they talked about "there, they're, and their"
jbrandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 10:46 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

I guess I'm fine with bad spellers. My mother-in-law is dyslexic and makes frequent mistakes. That kind of stuff is cool with me. It's the crap I see from kids today... "wat dose thta meen?" Garbage like that...

Don't even get me started on the 'there, they're their" topic. That's got to be one of my biggest pet peeves ever (besides people who drive 5 under the speed limit).

When I used to lurk on the RCUniverse forums (bleh), one feature that was cool there was the ability to block a users comments. That sure was a nice to have...
Old 02-12-2008, 11:10 AM   #14
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyattburp View Post
When I used to lurk on the RCUniverse forums (bleh), one feature that was cool there was the ability to block a users comments. That sure was a nice to have...
We have that here as well
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 12:05 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Nice, the feature is a little more hidden here (RCU had a quick link at the bottom of each post), but I found it in the CP...thanks!!
Old 02-12-2008, 11:40 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrandt View Post
doesn't count if you use a dictionary! just kidding!

I know I'm a bad speller, that's why I live and die by spell check. Of course, the English language doesn't make it easy for people to spell "correctly". I definitely DON'T envy people who are trying to learn English as a 2nd language. There are SO many rules, exceptions to those rules, and then exceptions to the exceptions. Then there's the "just because" rules, too. I don't blame people who don't spell every word correctly, but come on! you know that red squiggly line under those words (txt, doodz, cmn)? That means you spelled it wrong - FIX IT!!!

And then there are the people who apparently missed the day in school when they talked about "there, they're, and their"
English is one of the easiest language to learn. You want horror, try latin, German, Serbian, Russian. I'm french and i have less problems in english than in my native tongue. Mostly thanks to the stupid politician from the 80' that needed to put their name on a reform of how to study the french language every 3 years. Everytime a mess and a failure. The worst one was Jacques Toubon (translate in Allgood) who was a complete illiterate moron unable to finish a color-by-number book but who pushed anyway for another reform. Which was another dud. So we are now getting back to pre-politician-on-TV methods. You learn the rules you make a lot of dictation. And you do again until you have it right.

And don't get me started on Japanese... I haven't been able to order a pizza in 5 years. And by all accounts, for the little I speak, I sound like an dumb high school girl.

Last edited by Coligny; 02-12-2008 at 11:44 PM.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:07 AM   #17
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROTOTYPE View Post
Sounds like Ebonics. Its a shame we cant teach good ol' American English in our own country.
Don't make it a nationalist issue, we're not here to give you more excuse to sh1t on the mexicans or any other foreign -to you- community.

Our problem is with the fact that some people are unable to speak properly ANY earthling language.