Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: accident

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2008, 05:31 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default accident

Got into an accident tonight on the way home from dinner the person in front of me (1006 Toyota corolla) stopped short and I hit them their trunk was bent in but that was it, still opens and closes fine but my truck (2001 GMC Sierria) got the whole front bumper smashed up broke the grill dented the bumper in about 3 inches broke all the mounts for the lights and the bug deflector. But wait that’s not all a 1996 geo tracker hit my rear and bent my rear bumper down but no damage to the tracker.

NOW how does this happen a full size pickup gets just about all the damage.

Reason I’m posting this is because were not gonna let the insurance company know yet were all going to get quotes and then see if its worth the trouble to go through the insurance company or just pay it out of pocket. Now if it is cheep enough to pay out of pocket should I upgrade or just go back to stock form?

oh and i did get a police report.
chrispbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2008, 05:43 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

The damage might have something to do with the three letters on the grill

How much money are you willing to pay? All the parts you listed are the same no matter truck colour so for $250 and a trip to the junkyard you could be set.
HndsWthtShdws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 06:29 PM   #3
tjb
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispbubba View Post

Reason I’m posting this is because were not gonna let the insurance company know yet were all going to get quotes and then see if its worth the trouble to go through the insurance company or just pay it out of pocket. Now if it is cheep enough to pay out of pocket should I upgrade or just go back to stock form?

oh and i did get a police report.
Either way, if the other person reports it to their insurance company, yours will find out......... My wife and I went thru a deal where she hit someone last summer, not a speck of damage anywhere on either vehicle. 5 months later the lady filed injury claim on her. It was investigated, they got tagged with fraud. It would be in your best intrest to report it anyway to cover your end. Even if you do not decide to file a claim..........
tjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 08:14 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

so far i added some parts up and i got a total of about 1200 which isent too bad and will give me the flexibility to change styles a little but there is one part that is color specific and that is the trim cap on top of the bumper but the most expensive parts are gonna be the headlights and trim lights and chrome bumper i may just go searching for headlight housings in the junk yard soo ill have a busy weekend looking for parts im not too worried about the bug deflector i can get a new one later on but im afraid to look at the bumper brackets because i have a nice dent in the middle of the bumper

tjb- we all talked and the other people involved were nice and i should have no trouble there becouse we are all going to get quotes to get everything fixed before we notify the insuraunce companys and we will call each other to see if its brtter to report the accident or pay it out of pocket.

i will get pics tommorrow its to dark to get pics now
Old 02-22-2008, 08:10 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I don't see how that's possible! I bought my truck wrecked and it wasn't even that bad and it hit hard! All those parts are going to add up REAL FAST! From dealer with 20% discount, I paid like $380 for the grille, $200 for the bumper valence +paint, $180 for the chrome part of the bumper, $200 for ebay projectors, I would just bite the bullet and have the insurance deal with it, there are so many little parts that will eat you! Just little clips alone I prob have almost $50! Plus all the braces and brackets and covers, etc. Good luck!
TOYUTAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 11:36 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Umm, I would get rid of the truck! Any truck that takes damage from 2 little pieces of crap like that needs to be crushed. I love older Chevy & GMC products but I'm not so hot on the newer crap. My 78 Blazer would have laughed and spit both of those vehicles into pieces on the sidewalk.
STEW<CO> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 11:58 AM   #7
PapaGriz Yo

I rear ended a mini van in my 87 F150 w/6" lift and 33" tires once. My truck went through the back of the van into the second row of seats and out over the side door. At 35mph!
Thank god there was no one in the back but that's why nobody in my family is allowed to ride in the 3rd row of anyone's vehicle.

I drove my truck home with a dented hood, bumper, and cracked grill, they took the mini van back in a friggin plastic trash bag.
I have no idea why your truck would take so much damage.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 03:00 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

They are building vehicles so that they are pedestrian safe meaning that a lot of parts are intentionally made to crumple... The 04 and up F-150 frame rails are hydro formed will bulbus forms in the chassis around the engine bay allowing the chassis to support the engine and cab but if its in a frontal crash the entire engine bay is made to accordian and take a lot of energy out of the item hit and run it through the vehicle. At one time the new trucks were getting $15000 repair bills for like a 20mph frontal crash, cause it would break the engine mounts off the block and require a new engine and new frame thus totalling a brand new truck.

Its there to protect you and the other individuals, its the new disposable cars that they are making
Rok_Dok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 03:24 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Rok Dok you are right everything is made to crumble.

any way i got pics whats costs so much is the ammount of parts i did break

broken bug deflector

big dent in bumper

grille

turn signal housing

headlight housing both are like this

turn signal mount

another shot of the front end

well thats like $2000 - $2500 in parts and labor, the car needed $1000 in parts and labor
i think what cost me so much was the bumper ant there is supposed to be a peice on top of that the same color of my truck so there is paint costs and the headlight housings are like 100 a peice

Last edited by chrispbubba; 02-22-2008 at 03:27 PM.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:12 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Pfft, just duct tape that crap back in place
Mad Scientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 11:21 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Apart from the crumple zone stuff already mentioned, the OEMs are trying to make new cars and trucks as light as possible to save on gas millage. If a company goes over the CAFE standard, they have to pay $5.50 for every 0.1% over they go for every car they make! Imagine how heavy your truck would be if everything was made of 60's or 70's thickness steel, the thing would weigh 10,000 lbs! That said, they could have shaved the weight off other places (the seats in that truck weigh a ton) rather than the bumpers.
chrisjlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 11:44 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Just FYI, If you got a Police report your insurance will find out anyway
frdtrkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 01:28 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by frdtrkguy View Post
Just FYI, If you got a Police report your insurance will find out anyway

never had that problem before my dad and my brother have always had police reports and usally would not report it to the insuraunce company and nothing would happen.
Old 02-23-2008, 08:12 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispbubba View Post
never had that problem before my dad and my brother have always had police reports and usally would not report it to the insuraunce company and nothing would happen.
Well, maybe there but in Nevada the DMV, Police and the insurance companies are all on the same sheet of music so to speak
frdtrkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 08:28 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Check with the salvage yards for your parts. You can usually save a good bit buying used parts.
jeepster26104 is offline   Reply With Quote