Old 03-15-2008, 08:29 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Exclamation $8000.....

...gone in 30 seconds
ColquittCustom405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2008, 08:35 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Is that what it cost to refill the magazine?
Cole82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 08:41 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

$750 for a 100 round belt.....1100 round cap. I heard one of these things during a live fire from an A-10. It's freakishly scary.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:52 PM   #4
RCC Addict

I wanna see someone cut down a tree with one of those.
chrisjlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 09:54 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColquittCustom405 View Post
$750 for a 100 round belt.....1100 round cap. I heard one of these things during a live fire from an A-10. It's freakishly scary.
I bet it's scarier to be on the receiving end.
Stburr91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 09:54 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

If they run those guns too long in flight, it can slow the jet down quite a bit. And yeah, they are really scary sounding.
2JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 10:10 PM   #7
2006 2.2 National Champ

Don't let jason see this.......................he'll be ordering one for the 8x8 if he does.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 10:18 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2JSC View Post
If they run those guns too long in flight, it can slow the jet down quite a bit. And yeah, they are really scary sounding.

No.That's an Urban Legend.You could lay on the trigger until it's empty and would not affect the aircrafts speed.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:23 PM   #9
06 Super National Champ

Quote:
Freakishly scary?

We were out one day and heard a jet. Looked up and it was an A-10 on a run. I'd never heard anything like it before - impressive stuff.

It's still not as bad as the time we got buzzed by a B-1 on a low, fast pass. We had no idea he was inbound, but that joker was coming up from behind us and we had no warning...I just "felt" that something wasn't right then heard a sound unlike I'd ever heard. We were on the East side of a building, he was coming from the West. He came over us so low that I felt like I could've thrown a rock and hit it. Any attempt to describe the sound and everything we were hearing/seeing/feeling is useless. No words to describe it.

It's the single most powerful thing I'd ever seen - especially that close.

Made me glad that big bastard was on our side. My actual words were "Holy fawk! I'm glad that's one of ours!"

It still gives me cold chills thinking about it.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 10:27 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjlittle View Post
I wanna see someone cut down a tree with one of those.
They did that on the show Smash Lab, don't remember what kinda gun it was but sounded kinda like this one! Ballistic is all I can say about this gun here!
bubbaracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 10:31 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonInAugusta View Post
Freakishly scary?

We were out one day and heard a jet. Looked up and it was an A-10 on a run. I'd never heard anything like it before - impressive stuff.
The "Hum" from those TF-34's is what trips me out.The bass has you looking all around until it's tool ate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonaintinAugusta
It's still not as bad as the time we got buzzed by a B-1 on a low, fast pass.
I feel you,happened at Dyess.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:42 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
No.That's an Urban Legend.You could lay on the trigger until it's empty and would not affect the aircrafts speed.
Really? I had a friend that served and was based at Nellis and he told me that they could only run them in bursts. He would work on them occasionally but mainly worked on the F-16's and F-22A's.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:44 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbaracing View Post
They did that on the show Smash Lab, don't remember what kinda gun it was but sounded kinda like this one! Ballistic is all I can say about this gun here!
It was MythBusters and they used a Dillon minigun.
Old 03-16-2008, 12:01 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Working for 7 years under the flight path of Offutt AFB, I totally understand what JIA is talking about with being slightly overwhelmed by inbound or outbound aircraft. The most hair raising experience for me was on September 11, 2001. I was at work, checking a house I was building when 6 or 8 fighters came screaming over at about 1500 feet. From the way I didn't hear them until they were right on top of me and the amazing amount of noise they generated, they had to be doing 500mph+.

In about the time I could mumble "what the", they scattered in all directions and disappeared. 30 seconds or so later AirForce 1 came in faster and lower then any other 747 I had ever seen before or since. I got in my truck to call my wife and heard on the radio that "President Bush's location was unknown at this time". I looked at the radio and said "I know where he is".

Those fighters circled the AFB like pissed hornets for quite some time that day. After seeing all that, I knocked off early and headed home. No point in being that close to something like what was going on down there.
Eritex Inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 12:04 AM   #15
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

I believe the real reason why they only shoot the gun in short bursts is due to how fast it actually shoots. It can fire up to 4200 rounds/minute but I think with it mounted on the A-10, it only does 3900 rounds/minute. The plane only has 1150 rounds on board. So.....it would only take a burst of about 18 seconds to completely empty the "clip".
Offroader5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 12:27 AM   #16

my uncle used to be a crew chief on the a-10s during the gulf war. He told me that the gun fires so fast that the torque from the feed motor has the ability to upset the planes trim and balance, part of the reason the plane collects all its brass too. it can expel like 30 pounds of "brass" a second and that can upset its balance From what I understand. Anyhow that it possibly the most bad ass weapon ever created and I shoot .50 cals and Mk-19 40mm grenade launchers for a living. I saw some Cobras going to town the other day here at camp pendleton and it was awe inspiring to be sure.

wren
semper fi

Last edited by lodikrawlingkiller; 03-16-2008 at 12:30 AM.
lodikrawlingkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 12:29 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonInAugusta View Post
It's still not as bad as the time we got buzzed by a B-1 on a low, fast pass. We had no idea he was inbound, but that joker was coming up from behind us and we had no warning...I just "felt" that something wasn't right then heard a sound unlike I'd ever heard. We were on the East side of a building, he was coming from the West. He came over us so low that I felt like I could've thrown a rock and hit it. Any attempt to describe the sound and everything we were hearing/seeing/feeling is useless. No words to describe it.

It's the single most powerful thing I'd ever seen - especially that close.

Made me glad that big bastard was on our side. My actual words were "Holy fawk! I'm glad that's one of ours!"

It still gives me cold chills thinking about it.

i know exactly what you mean! the shop where i live is right in the landing path at nellis AFB. we've been buzzed by B1s, B2s, F22s you name it. B1s and B2s are just ****in scary! flying so low and slow they look like theyre gonna fall out of the sky right onto our roof. you can feel them before you see them.
dieselfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 01:03 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Nothing like a gun that needs a hydraulic system to operate.
_BEN_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 01:52 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2JSC View Post
Really? I had a friend that served and was based at Nellis and he told me that they could only run them in bursts.
Yeah...that's just because you could empty the gun in no time. Those engines are pushing around 20K lbs of thrust.Unless those seven barrels are pushing out that,you'd have a hard time slowing it down
Old 03-16-2008, 09:56 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

The A-10 shoots in 1-2 second bursts to keep the barrels cool, and conserve ammo.

From Wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GAU-8_Avenger

Quote:
A persistent urban legend is that the recoil force of the Avenger matches that of the A-10's engines and as such the plane would slow down, stall, and subsequently crash if the gun was to be fired for long periods of time (some even claim that the aircraft would begin to fly backwards). However, the GAU-1/A homepage states the recoil force as 10,000 pounds-force, or about 45 kN, which is less than the maximum combined output of the A-10 engines (82.6 kN). Hence the recoil force of the gun is slightly more than half of the total thrust of the engines. While this is quite significant and can noticeably slow the aircraft, it is not sufficient to stop the aircraft. During test firing of the gun in the A-10 in the early 1970s the USAF experimented with putting a muzzle brake on the end of the gun and extending the nose of the plane out around this muzzle brake to vent the gun gases backwards. It was decided during this testing that the effect of the gun was not significant enough to warrant the added expense and complexity of adding this to every plane in the inventory.
Stburr91 is offline   Reply With Quote