Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: 1/6th Jeep Gladiator Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2008, 02:03 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default 1/6th Jeep Gladiator Build

Alright, my first build thread. Here are the specs for what I have planned.

Tires: Moab xl
Wheels: Proline mambo 40 series (for now)
Axles: TXT with TTR wideners to 14mm hex
Tranny: Emaxx 2 speed
Driveshafts: Revo
Motor(s): 2 35 turn warriors
ESC: Tekin Rebel 2
Batt: 3 cell A123
TX/RX: TQ3 with 3rd channel for shifting
Shocks: Savage or Maxx sized aluminum
Wheelbase: 19.5 in

I am going to gear it to crawl good in first gear, and hopefully get some decent speed in second. I may end up running a higher turn motor if I cannot gear it down enough. I will probably run my 55 turn Integy's from my clod first to see how they do, and decide from there.

I haven't decided how I want to have my suspension setup. If I run full droop I would be able to achieve a significantly lower COG, Plus I think it looks pretty sweet with the body slammed. But, I want it to be able to handle the higher speeds of second gear, and full droop will be too bumpy, so I am leaning more toward a 60/40 droop/sprung setup. Anyways, heres some pics:

Full droop, it will sit a little lower after I trim the fenderwells

Here is sprung without as much travel or a droop/sprung setup to allow for more travel

And just for fun here is full sprung monster truck style

Let me know what you guys think.
4xFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2008, 07:30 AM   #2
On the lookout for Rocks

This should go in the Large Scale Rigs Section not Chit Chat
constantmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 07:38 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

You ought to look at some Maxx size wheels, Clod size wheels are about the ideal size for a scale size wheel. Or even a 2.2, might be a tad small but also would stuff way better in the wheel openings.
Thorsteenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 06:09 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Well I did post this in the 1/6th scale forum, but someone moved it. I guess there is not enough tech? This is a build thread ans there will be plenty of tech, I just need some opinions on suspension setup before I start cutting.

And as for the tires. 2.2's are way to small, they come out to a 13" wheel with a 30" tire, and look tiny. Maxx sized wheels and tires look okay but still a little to small. I will post some pics to show what I mean. The 40 series and moab XL combo comes out to 24" wheels with 42" tires, not too uncommon in today's wheel and tire market.

Last edited by 4xFord; 03-24-2008 at 06:11 PM.
Old 04-03-2008, 02:25 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Well, here are the funny looking 2.2's, obviously too small, unless clown cars are your thing.

And here are the narrowed Maxx Mashers, much better but still a tad small for my taste

Yet for some reason they look pretty awesome from this angle

And here is what looks to be the best fit to me, proline giant tracs on clod wheels

Now its not the best pic, and they are too wide, but I think the 6" tall tire is ideal.

So what do you think, should I just narrow a set of stock clod tires and wheels, or risk it on the GT's?

Also, I got a lot of work done on my frame. The main frame is angle aluminum, and a cut up TXT frame is going to be the subframe bolted to it. Luckily I had a lot of different length links, and was able to find a short set and a longer set to make a 60/40 style setup at the exact wheelbase I need.

Here is the little underhang that the TXT plates have, this rig is going to have quite a bit of belly clearance.

And here is a crappy low battery pic of the skid I made

Also, since the emaxx tranny and TXT axles are geared pretty high, I am considering running a set of axiom 75 turns that I have lying around on my EVX-2 waterproff with my two 4200 sticks. The 14.4 volts should give me lots of torque with some good wheelspeed in second gear

P.S.- Whichever mod moved my thread, please move it back, thanks.