Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Those of you with cool jobs....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2008, 07:12 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

I paid my dues behind the parts counter and service desk at various auto-repair shops and car dealers for the better part of 15 years til I got tired of it always being "my fault" so I bailed and took a job at the LHS. Then these guys came in dropping thousands every week on this weird UAV project; I answered so many of their questions and solved so many problems I figured I'd be better off just working for them, and they agreed.

Now I build RC quad-copters for a living. With cameras, Tasers and black-powder parachute deployment. We spent a whole day setting off black-powder charges in the shop There's still a parachute stuck in the rafters.

Moral of the story: be in the right place at the right time.
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2008, 07:33 PM   #22
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by microgoat View Post
I paid my dues behind the parts counter and service desk at various auto-repair shops and car dealers for the better part of 15 years til I got tired of it always being "my fault" so I bailed and took a job at the LHS. Then these guys came in dropping thousands every week on this weird UAV project; I answered so many of their questions and solved so many problems I figured I'd be better off just working for them, and they agreed.

Now I build RC quad-copters for a living. With cameras, Tasers and black-powder parachute deployment. We spent a whole day setting off black-powder charges in the shop There's still a parachute stuck in the rafters.

I met some of the UAV guys once. Wish I had some time to talk to them but I was actually busy for once and havent seen them since.

I get paid decent for the work I do (quantity not quality), just dont like alot of the stuff that can happen. So far I'm planning on doing civil service or other govt jobs until I can retire then opening my own business.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 07:34 PM   #23
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by braceysdad View Post
(I don't eat leftovers anymore)
Are you honestly saying you’ve never eaten that left over pizza or Chinese for breakfast?
Tupers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 07:38 PM   #24
Adilynsdad too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupers View Post
Are you honestly saying you’ve never eaten that left over pizza or Chinese for breakfast?
Not since I quit waiting tables (when every meal was someone else leftovers)...
braceysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 07:52 PM   #25
Quarry Creeper

I work as the Online & features editor at RC Car Action magazine. Working in the media industry in extremely high stress, but people tell me I have a cool job all the time. It is, indeed, very cool, but probably not at all what people really think it's like. I admit that I do love my job. The creative aspect of it is highly fulfilling. Like, say, a welder or a chef, I love that I get to see the "fruit of my labor" and get to see if people like or don't like it.

As for how I got this job ... I went to college, studied English (specialized in writing), mass media and journalism and graduated with two degrees. I have worked for daily newspapers, created ad copy, web copy and did a bunch of other writing before landing a job at RC car Action. I have continued my education with photography classes and plan to continue and expand my resume--it's a competitive biz with more and more talented kids coming out of school each. In the future, I hope to move into more mass media and marketing.

The good news is that if you want to work for a narrow, specialized or niche publication, you don't need a degree in English or journalism. Expertise in said niche goes a long way.
MattH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 07:53 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

I started in construction as a laborer in 1965 I worked labor until 1967 when the US Army gave me a free trip to Asia (FTA) 1969 I went back to work as a carpenter in commercial construction, It was a great place to clear my head. I moved into project management in 1990. I'm now a VP with a real estate development firm. I'm lucky I love what I do it's a tough business with a variety of people and opportunities but very rewarding. I never planned it it just turned out that way and that's whats cool.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 07:57 PM   #27
Adilynsdad too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattH View Post
I work as the Online & features editor at RC Car Action magazine. Working in the media industry in extremely high stress, but people tell me I have a cool job all the time. It is, indeed, very cool, but probably not at all what people really think it's like. I admit that I do love my job. The creative aspect of it is highly fulfilling. Like, say, a welder or a chef, I love that I get to see the "fruit of my labor" and get to see if people like or don't like it.

As for how I got this job ... I went to college, studied English (specialized in writing), mass media and journalism and graduated with two degrees. I have worked for daily newspapers, created ad copy, web copy and did a bunch of other writing before landing a job at RC car Action. I have continued my education with photography classes and plan to continue and expand my resume--it's a competitive biz with more and more talented kids coming out of school each. In the future, I hope to move into more mass media and marketing.

The good news is that if you want to work for a narrow, specialized or niche publication, you don't need a degree in English or journalism. Expertise in said niche goes a long way.
You have seen some of my fine builds and post, do you think I have a chance in a fancy magazine like yours?
Old 04-08-2008, 08:08 PM   #28
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
You have seen some of my fine builds and post
The short answer is no.

Quote:
do you think I have a chance in a fancy magazine like yours?
Fancy? It's a magazine about toy cars. It's not too fancy.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:10 PM   #29
Adilynsdad too!

Quote:
The short answer is no.

Fancy? It's a magazine about toy cars. It's not too fancy.
I still love you...

Did you get the roses I sent you?

I love reading RCCA, it remids me of the old days when I started rc crawling

Great job!

Last edited by braceysdad; 04-08-2008 at 08:30 PM.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:13 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
You have seen some of my fine builds and post, do you think I have a chance in a fancy magazine like yours?
You sure do. All that is required is that you just jump on the wagon. Do what the others are doing. Make like you did it first.
DISTURBIN' tha PEACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 08:31 PM   #31
Adilynsdad too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISTURBIN' tha PEACE View Post
You sure do. All that is required is that you just jump on the wagon. Do what the others are doing. Make like you did it first.
This wagon you speak of, is there room for me?
Old 04-08-2008, 08:52 PM   #32
Rock Crawler

I am retired at 28 years of age

.....Yep a retired Bank Robber
JBHardwear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 08:54 PM   #33
Adilynsdad too!

The truth be known,

It's all in who you blow...I mean who you know
Old 04-08-2008, 09:06 PM   #34
RCC Addict

Hey

I am working a PHD in English as a second language, so I can move to India and answer phones. LOL just kidding

I have an Engineering degree in Robotics, I now work for a company that makes material testing devices covering the temperature range of -180 C to 2800 C. (thats -292 F to 5072 F)

To find a good job hard skills are mandatory, but many people have those (degrees, electrical, mechanical skills etc..) What will get you a good job is being able to comunicate and being reliable.
renoirbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 09:10 PM   #35
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
This wagon you speak of, is there room for me?
I'm sure there is room on the wagon. I believe the wagon was created back in 1986 and people have been jumping on ever since.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:23 PM   #36
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by microgoat View Post
So true.

4 years ago, I landed a job at a small company that wanted to start up a machine shop to further their abilities. I was the first employee and I was to BUILD the shop. Well, 4 years later, the shop is doing very well, and so am I.
redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 09:24 PM   #37
I wanna be Dave

So did you guys start the whole thing?
Quote:
I'm sure there is room on the wagon. I believe the wagon was created back in 1986 and people have been jumping on ever since.
MOCRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 09:27 PM   #38
Adilynsdad too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by renoirbud View Post
Hey

I am working a PHD in English as a second language, so I can move to India and answer phones. LOL just kidding

I have an Engineering degree in Robotics, I now work for a company that makes material testing devices covering the temperature range of -180 C to 2800 C. (thats -292 F to 5072 F)

To find a good job hard skills are mandatory, but many people have those (degrees, electrical, mechanical skills etc..) What will get you a good job is being able to comunicate and being reliable.
It is cool to see how many engineers we have on RCC.

I did'nt realize trains were still used that much...

ahhhhhhhh hahahaha
Old 04-08-2008, 09:31 PM   #39
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOCRAWLER View Post
So did you guys start the whole thing?
Not at all actually; I'm just poking a little fun at the band wagon comments.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:35 PM   #40
Adilynsdad too!

Quote:
Not at all actually; I'm just poking a little fun

Be careful, I was poking a little fun the night I got my wife pregnant!