Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: So the wife and I were driving and

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2008, 01:44 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default So the wife and I were driving and

She saw this:

1977 Toyota FJ-40 Land Cruiser!!!! What could I say??? You like that???

I think the smile on her face says more than her words. Anyway I guess this will be my new project. Now to figure out how to pay the guy for it, Quick!!!! I like it, too.
Anyway thought I would share our excitement with you guys. Just a few pics.

Last edited by JIA's Dad; 08-18-2008 at 02:08 AM.
JIA's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2008, 04:16 AM   #2
Colt Python/SR9c

Well guess there went the "Buy USA" out the window huh?

Not a bad lookin FJ
TwistedCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 04:39 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Yeah, I think a smile like that on her face is well deserved, She puts up with a lot of shit from me. Ripping and running all over the place with toy trucks and playing pool nationally also. Seems like the thing to do, especially since I like it also.
I'll have some work to do but it seems to be pretty solid. Has a hard top, ambulance doors, slider, tire rack for the back and many extra parts including the diamond plate for the corners. It will make a good hauler going to comps.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:45 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Default Re-buying USA

Yeah, but you are "re-buying" USA. The guy that had it and now you are, and will be in the local parts store every week buying parts . Keeping that local shop in business.

Not every part for it will be a Yota part either.
Watch out for Chinese Knockoff parts.

Wish my wife liked things like that!
sweli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 06:48 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

That's a way cool project congratulations it has huge potential,keep us updated on it's progress.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 09:51 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

I know, I honestly try to buy American but sometimes you just have to do what you have to do. But I keep looking at the picture of the wife (Sandy) sitting in that rig. Her smile to me just says Ok this is our toy. So it's a must have!!!

On another point Congats to Phelps, I have been glued to the TV and the Olympics. Johnson and Lutkin, who got robbed without a gun (damn the math), have won my heart. Maybe Lutkin can come back on the beam to win again. Johnson has a chance, too. GO USA!!! Just proves that China is not to be trusted!!! They will do anything to win, I did feel sory for the track guy and the achillie heel problem. Sad for him with Billions pulling for him. Thats as many people as MC Donalds sells burgers???? I hope they don't get visas and come here to work!!!! Dang Spanish who knows CHINESE????
Old 08-19-2008, 01:18 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Default Bj-40

Always wanted a Yota 40 or 60 series with their 3B diesel in it.
Canada only unless you grey market or chop and reinstall it.

Any way around, you prob have a winner their. With the wife's smile, you prob have the funds to play with it now. Keep her happy.

Post the work you do to it.
sweli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 02:05 PM   #8
RCC Addict

As much as I love my Jeep/Jeeps, I have always wanted a 40. Nice find. I am sure you will both enjoy it.
O.C.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 09:35 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Thanks guys for the good replies. I'm still stoked on the find for sure. Working to get the deal resolved asap. Had to go out and take a few more pics so I can sit and drool all over the laptop at night. So I got under the thing to look at the body lift setup and to see just how bad things were rust and damage wise. Considering it's a 77 and shows 77,000 original miles at this point I am happy for sure. Here are a few more rough pics ( I'm not as good as JIA) Please feel free to post up your thoughts and replies/ideas as this is my first 1:1 rebuild project. Wheel recommendations, mods, any thoughts are welcomed.

The thing I like the most about this is laying in the seat in the last picture. The notebook of all the work done in the past/ with bills on the vehicle.
Old 08-30-2008, 07:09 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Got the FJ transferred last Monday and brought it home that afternoon. Today the wife and I took our first drive in it. We drove to an RC event in Richmond KY. put on by Coyote Crawlers. To my surprise Red Barron And Pup were there. Glad they made the event. I did not take part in the event didn't get the FJ ready in time to make the 12 o'clock start time. Had to charge the battery.
Top speed for the FJ with the mud tires about 55 or 60 without a lot of bouncing from the tires being out of balance. Found a lot of things that we need to fix. Bent tie rod, need to check the rear breaks for a leak, also need to pull the front hubs and service them. I could go on and on but I won't bore you.
We are very happy with the purchase of the FJ and look forward to having it for a long time.

It will take me that long to do the repairs!!!! J/K

I'll posts pics as I start work on it.

Last edited by JIA's Dad; 08-31-2008 at 02:15 AM.
Old 08-30-2008, 09:36 PM   #11
06 Super National Champ

Sweet.

I still stay put some black (or white, depending on the paint color you go with) steelies on it with some BFG ATs. Black and tan would be nice.

Oh, and take the top and doors off and drive it.

I've debated having a sticker cut to go across the back of the fuel tank skid on the TJ...something to the effect of "Don't be a bitch, take off your top" Most people won't get it, but all the Jeep people will know exactly what it means.

Looks like Kenny is bringing his Bronco over so we can clock his rear axle. Shouldn't be too bad, I'll make him do the cutting and welding. I just don't think the big bastard will fit in the garage.

Last edited by JasonInAugusta; 08-30-2008 at 09:39 PM.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 09:52 PM   #12
TEAM MODERATOR

Looks like a good start Warren. Personally,I'm not much on body lifts. I prefer all suspension lift,3 maybe 4" lift and whatever else rubs,gets cut off. The BFG's Jason is suggesting would be a great choice for mostly road use but some mild wheeling. The AT's will handle a TON better than your mudders.

The old FJ's are cool,no doubt.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 02:21 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Raptorman when I get this thing finished I'll come down to your place in it for sure. I've seen pics of your crawlin spots. You have a starter trail
Old 08-31-2008, 02:23 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonInAugusta View Post
Sweet.

I still stay put some black (or white, depending on the paint color you go with) steelies on it with some BFG ATs. Black and tan would be nice.

Oh, and take the top and doors off and drive it.

I've debated having a sticker cut to go across the back of the fuel tank skid on the TJ...something to the effect of "Don't be a bitch, take off your top" Most people won't get it, but all the Jeep people will know exactly what it means.

Looks like Kenny is bringing his Bronco over so we can clock his rear axle. Shouldn't be too bad, I'll make him do the cutting and welding. I just don't think the big bastard will fit in the garage.

Hmmm. 36s would look good on the FJ. I've got to talk to Kenny, he needs bigger tires for sure.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:32 AM   #15
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIA's Dad View Post
Raptorman when I get this thing finished I'll come down to your place in it for sure. I've seen pics of your crawlin spots. You have a starter trail

Well,your welcome if you wanna ride....You and Jason both. Everything close to the house is mostly mild trial riding with a few dandy rutted out hills and good off camber stuff. I ain't into the mud any,but there's a few good holes if you wanna try your hand at that..... Better get some BIG shoes first. We could always pack up and go to Winrock. It's about 30 minutes down the road.....in a good hwy ride. It'd probably take about an hour and 15-20 minutes in my Toyota though I like to trailer my Toyota if I go that far....much easier.

I still need to fix my inner shafts in my front axle. Been busy with allot of other things and ain't had the time. Hopefully she'll hold this time.
Old 08-31-2008, 12:32 PM   #16
06 Super National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorman57 View Post
Well,your welcome if you wanna ride....You and Jason both. Everything close to the house is mostly mild trial riding with a few dandy rutted out hills and good off camber stuff. I ain't into the mud any,but there's a few good holes if you wanna try your hand at that..... Better get some BIG shoes first. We could always pack up and go to Winrock. It's about 30 minutes down the road.....in a good hwy ride. It'd probably take about an hour and 15-20 minutes in my Toyota though I like to trailer my Toyota if I go that far....much easier.

I still need to fix my inner shafts in my front axle. Been busy with allot of other things and ain't had the time. Hopefully she'll hold this time.
Steve, my wife read that post and asked where you lived. I told her TN and she was like "Cool! When I get back to Ft. Campbell you can haul the Jeep up here and we'll go off-road!"

She misses it. We used to hit the trails every weekend with the old Willys in Hawaii.

So...when she comes back we'll definitely have to take you up on the offer.

She says no mud for the TJ though.

...and she means it.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 12:55 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

you're not cool till you have a duramax and unimog diffs.
Mr.Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 01:49 PM   #18
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonInAugusta View Post
She says no mud for the TJ though.

...and she means it.
Oh damn,I promise we'll take the dry trails.....

There's a few locals that all they do is run the mud. They run big tires,44"+ There's a few holes that I really feel they have NO bottom Most of the big holes have detour trails.

Right now,we've not had much rain,so allot of the trails and big holes are pretty dry. Let me know a little ahead of time and we'll set something up. I'll try to get my junk back together soon I'll get a few of my wheelin buddies together,maybe we can get Jeff to bring his junk over to. Be a cool time.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:21 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

Haven't posted anything on the 77 FJ 40 for while, I was saving up for parts. I finally found a rear brake conversion kit and the front rotors finally came in from California. Here is the link to the rear brake conversion kit from JT Outfitters:
http://www.jtoutfitters.com/rear-dis...0ida9topb7htj3

And a pic of the rear kit installed on the right rear.

Here is a pic of my friend Arron (sitting on one of the new 33x12.50x15 BF Goodrich ALL Ts) installing the right front disc brakes:

We went thru the front hubs. Cleaned everything, replaced two wheel bearings and races, replaced all the old grease with new. Everything seems to work fine now. No more rough spots when turning the hub by hand, SMOOOOTH NOW The Warn hubs are now in great shape!!!

Still waiting on the new Ranchero Shocks and a new larger tie-rod and new ball ends, steering dampener, and an extra steering shock(add on) for the suspension and steering. Due in on Wednesday or Thursday.

In the meantime while waiting on the parts to arrive, we plan to do a tune up on the motor.

Look to get everything installed and on the road by late Saturday. Hopefully!!!!

Then on to the other stuff when I can save up again
Old 12-03-2008, 12:40 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Lookin good so far. Look forward to seeing this thing up close one day.
Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote