Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: One for the truckers - rollover on Donner Pass

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2008, 10:47 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default One for the truckers - rollover on Donner Pass

I'm not really driving much anymore, but I've talked to quite a few guys on here who do.

One of my bros who still hammers flatbed coast-to-coast sent me this vid of a rookie over-cooking a corner coming down Donner. Wild stuff...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsl5Uf-OuGs

Remember, if you see a yellow sign with a picture of a truck tilted to the left, start downshifting...

Last edited by Big Mike; 10-09-2008 at 10:51 AM.
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2008, 11:44 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Damn....did he go over the rail? I didnt see the truck after the cloud of smoke...
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 11:55 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Fatality rollover on Donner Pass In Ca
Thursday, September 18, 2008
News: Big Rig rollover captured on video

Graphic footage of a double fatal big rig accident which Cal Fire crews worked Monday near Colfax captured by Wal Mart truck on-board video recorder...The driver of big rig had only had his license for nine days...

Big Rig Rollover - Second victim pulled from Colfax big rig wreckage
By Jenna Nielsen, Journal Staff Writer

The body of a co-driver was extricated this morning by Cal Fire crews at the scene of Monday's big rig rollover crash near Colfax.
The body of a second man was found underneath debris Tuesday morning at the accident site of a big rig rollover near Colfax Monday, officials reported.
The man, whose name is not being released pending notification of his family, was reportedly a passenger in the big rig, which rolled into a guard rail spilling its load of recylced plastic down the embankment near the Magra Road exit on westbound Interstate 80, California Highway Patrol offi-cials reported.
The driver, who was trapped inside of the trucks cab and was also killed in the accident, was re-portedly going 70 mph and passing another truck in the fast lane when he lost control and slid down an embankment, said CHP Officer Rich Ruiz.
This morning, as the investigator was going over log books, (it was) determined there was possi-bly a co-driver involved, Ruiz said.
Ruiz said investigators also have video footage of the accident, recorded by a device on a Wal-Mart truck, which the driver of the big rig was passing at the time of the accident.
The driver of the WalMart truck was doing 55 mph, so we estimate the driver (of the big rig) was going 70 mph when he approached a curve and lost control. You see in the video the trailer starts to fishtail. When the driver tries to correct, he is sent over the guardrail.
Battalion Chief Jeff Brand of Cal Fire said crews located the co-driver under the debris and extri-cated him this morning.
Brand said when the truck was overturned, the cab was torn off and wedged beneath the contents of the trailer and the trailer itself.
All westbound lanes were closed as a result of the accident, which occurred at approximately 2:30 p.m. All lanes were opened by approximately 7:45 p.m., California Highway Patrol officials said.
Ruiz said the driver of big rig had only had his license for nine days.
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 12:12 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
Pshhh....who takes the time to read?!?! I just look at the pictures...
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 02:03 PM   #5
RCC Addict

I live like 20 mins away from that and drove by it coming back from the rubicon a few weeks ago. It was like 1 week after the crash, and the guard rail was totally smashed and there were a bunch of cones and stuff up. Most of the truck was still down there.
Norcal crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 02:21 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Yikes thats nasty....
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 02:31 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I've never been thru Donner Pass...after seeing that I have no desire to go either.
Pete from Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 04:58 PM   #8
RCC Addict

I've hauled freight over (and been snowed in on) Donner Pass several times. It's not a difficult pass to negotiate whatsoever, if you don't drive stupid. The only good thing about the outcome of this accident is that nobody else was hurt or killed. Since the co-driver was most likely a trainer, he should have made sure that rookie was driving properly, or better yet, he should have been taking that load down the hill. If I was the trainer, there's no way I'd allow a green driver to bring a load down off Donner. He'd be lucky if I let him deadhead down the pass.
However, with this accident, it's hard to tell if the truck had some kind of equipment failure (brakes). It's easy to jump to conclusions without knowing all the facts...
With all these dumbass truck drivers on the road now, I feel safer driving 2 lane roads up here in NW Montana, grossing 106,000+ lbs., dodging deer, elk, moose and bears when it's -10 degrees, it's snowing and the roads are snow packed and icy......

Last edited by montana.matt; 10-09-2008 at 05:00 PM.
montana.matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 05:34 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

was that a swift truck?, jk. There is always truck accidents in that area. I-80 just west of the Nevada border sucks bad, no matter what your driving. That is the roughest road I have ever driven on, & it gets paved just about every year.
highhpcummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 07:04 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by highhpcummins View Post
was that a swift truck?, jk.
As bad as it sounds, that was my thought when I saw that white FL Century, or Columbia and white trailer....
Old 10-09-2008, 07:07 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Wow, the sucky part is about accidents is the realization seconds before with no way to stop it...
coolkidjf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 07:11 PM   #12
Just jump it!

Glad i dont drive anymore.Yes its Always a swift truck .I drove for swift but it was MS carriers the first 5 years i drove for them and got bought out. Told um the could have that truck and havent been back in one since.
rottenbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 06:50 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
If I was the trainer, there's no way I'd allow a green driver to bring a load down off Donner
No doubt. Neither would I.

Quote:
I've never been thru Donner Pass...after seeing that I have no desire to go either
It's nowhere near as bad as this vid makes it seem - you just have to pick the right gear (preferably at the TOP of the hill) and be judicious about the brake application. You can't ride your brakes like you are used to doing in a car, you'll overheat them quick and then they'll feel slick as owl poop until they cool off and you cut the glaze back off of the pads.

Quote:
However, with this accident, it's hard to tell if the truck had some kind of equipment failure (brakes). It's easy to jump to conclusions without knowing all the facts...
Yep, my first thought was "uh oh, the rookie got his brakes hot and now thye ain't grabbing" but I guess you can never know w/o all the facts. One things for sure in the video, he sure was haulin' ass through there!

I can't think of how the brakes could fail other than being overheated. A loss of air pressure will lock the brakes down...
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 08:38 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mike View Post
I can't think of how the brakes could fail other than being overheated. A loss of air pressure will lock the brakes down...
If there's enough air loss to cause the brakes to lock and they're out of adjustment, they won't lock (first hand knowledge). The trailer probably had automatic slack adjusters, but we all know that automatic slack adjusters don't always work the way they're supposed to
Old 10-10-2008, 08:40 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete from Houston View Post
I've never been thru Donner Pass...after seeing that I have no desire to go either.
Donner Pass is actually one of the easiest passes to drive...... as long as you drive smart
Old 10-10-2008, 03:55 PM   #16
RCC Addict

I think this video is from a Monday... oooohhh i hate Monday's

having driven that pass many times, and being so close to it, I have seen many a driver cookin brakes on the down grade, and rolling fires. A few years back a trucker lost brakes, hit the run-a -way ramp, uhhh continued through the ramp because it didn't stop him jumped the mound at the end and the rig piled on the train tracks below, then was hit by the train coming down the track.
rockhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 04:09 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhugger View Post
I think this video is from a Monday... oooohhh i hate Monday's

having driven that pass many times, and being so close to it, I have seen many a driver cookin brakes on the down grade, and rolling fires. A few years back a trucker lost brakes, hit the run-a -way ramp, uhhh continued through the ramp because it didn't stop him jumped the mound at the end and the rig piled on the train tracks below, then was hit by the train coming down the track.
That's why they call them run away truck ramps
We've only got one here in Montana and that's on I-90 e/b Homestake Pass, if I remember right. On the other passes, you either put it in the ditch or put it in the snowbank(been there done that) and hope for the best