Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Sign of the times?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2008, 08:42 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Sign of the times?

I saw a new K-Mart commercial before going to work this morning and thought it was kinda interesting.
I woman tells her husband that she is going Christmas shopping and he makes some smart arse comment about the pumpkins bearly being carved. Next scene they show her pushing a stuffed to overflowing shopping car up to the K-Mart Lay-A-Way counter. The main push of the commercial was to put the hottest/latest stuff on layaway so you can give them as gifts and have them on hold now and not have to worry about paying for it here and now.
Now I'm only 32 years old, but I don't ever remember seeing a commercial that specifically advertises the use of Lay-A-Way. Are those out there that are either older or more observant than I that remember seeing these kinds of commercials in the past?
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2008, 09:02 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

I don't rmember if there were commercials targeting lay way but it was huge back in the 70s(maybe earlier) when I was a kid. I remember the lay away and catalog sections were in the same place in Sears. Credit cards pretty much made lay away obsolete.
hawnmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 09:10 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Head into Walmart and put a box of smarties on Lay-a-way

Nerve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 09:13 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Point being that K-Mart used to have layaway all the time years ago. They gave you 90 days same as cash. No interest. So starting in September or early October you could pick out stuff for Christmas and pay 10 percent down and pay weekly or bi weekly on your stuff. Or come back and pay it off sooner than the 90 days.
We did it all the time years ago. If I remember correctly Wal-Mart did this too.
But both stopped when money got tight years ago before. Many people just did not pick up their stuff. Which by the way isn't so bad for the stores if you pay for say a third or half of something and fall on hard times and they get to keep the items. Clear cash for them. It has happened in the past.
K-mart is saying we know times are hard and we want to keep you spending anyway we can. Come on in and lay it away.

I would be curious to see exactly their charges now days. If interest???
JIA's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 10:06 PM   #5
Custom Carbon Fiber

I think JIA's Dad nailed it pretty good. I havent been to a WalMart or similar store in a few months but today I saw pretty much the same Economic picture painted at both Lowes and WalMart.

I dont think Ive ever seen so many sale fliers or advertisement even this close to the holidays as I saw today. Lots of tools were either on mega sale or clearance and WalMart had Red Sale tags on virtually everything from toys to file cabinets and kitchen ware.

Their all going for that big 4th quarter push, show some sort of profit and the economy wont look as stranded as it really is.

I remember the big thing with LayAWay from when I was a kid, everyone had something setup and that was late 70's- early 80's. That was a few years after the gas crunch and Carter was still in office. K-Marts just cycling through the times.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 06:18 AM   #6
~THE SCALE SHOP~

i thought walmart got rid of its layaway plans.
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 06:45 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

They did, at least the one me. I used it as a place to hide the gifts for my kids, now I stash the stuff at my parents house.
BUBBA069 is offline   Reply With Quote